PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing for pike help

uplander
03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
HI I'm wondering if my 9ft 5wght flyrod would hold up against pike under 10lbs?

DarkAisling
03-26-2010, 05:47 PM
What kind of rod is it, and what is the warranty?

We've got a couple of 9' 6wts that we might try on pike. I really don't think I'd try a 5wt, unless the warranty was really good.

WayneChristie
03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
if they are under 10 pounds they just might be one well over 10 pounds too :) You never know. why risk it?

flygirrl
03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
5weight flyrod depending on how you play the fish and what type of reel and backing you have on it and what type of drag system will handle any pike. But, that being said you have to understand you run the risk of breaking your rod on a bigger fish or having to horse a pike out of the weeds. I have a Winston 5 weight and I would never ever use it for pike just because It just might break ( been there done that on a stick fish ) I would invest in a cheaper 8 weight 9'5" rod just for going after the snot rockets. As for presentation for pike, its not quite finesse fishing. Land it in front of them and they will strike.

-CLM-
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
For sure, I have been landing pike up to 15lbs on a 5wt that I have had since I was ten.

Rick.
03-26-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm confident you could land it with a 3 wt. but the bigger issue to me is casting the weight of a wet sock (pike fly) with your rod. You will not enjoy trying to cast it with anything less than a 7 and an 8 or 9 would be better yet. Best of luck. They are a blast on the fly. Rick.

onthefly
03-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Rick is right, your 5wt rod is very unlikely to break even against the largest pike. The main reason for a heavier rod is for casting. Throwing those large pike flies and streamers on open water is not an easy task. It can be done but your likely to encounter some frustration.

flygirrl
03-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Rick is right, your 5wt rod is very unlikely to break even against the largest pike. The main reason for a heavier rod is for casting. Throwing those large pike flies and streamers on open water is not an easy task. It can be done but your likely to encounter some frustration.
Yes but is it worth the risk is the question. I guess it depends on what the cost of the rod was. Would still go with a cheaper 8 weight just for pike.

Muskeg
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Pike are very sensitive to over exertion so you will also put the fish's mortality at risk by having a longer fight.. especially the larger females... unless your eating them of course.