PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip guides?

Gongshow
03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
My father, brother, and I are going to Painters lodge in Campbell River this summer for three days of fishing. Tonight the topic of tipping the guides came up. This will be our first guided trip and we don't have a clue how much we should tip. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Doc
03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
If he's awesome, 20%. If he's good 15% if he's just ok 10% and if he sucks 0-5%. So on average it's 10-15%.

Cheers,
Doc

jusfloatin
03-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Why would you tip a guide that is charging you big bucks to start with.

I do not know of any guides that gives refunds for no catch.

If there is one my appoligy.

Albertadiver
03-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Why would you tip a guide that is charging you big bucks to start with.

I do not know of any guides that gives refunds for no catch.

If there is one my appoligy.

I would say it is still customary to tip something. Haven't done guided fishing or hunting myself, but we did go on a few fly-in trips, and we always tipped the camp and camp cook.

RedFisher
03-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Well when your going for a guided hunt you tip depending on your trophy size. 15% minamun... as for fishing it all depends on your catch... if you land some monsters then its usually expected 25% - 45% depending and how big your biggest is... say your going for alaskan moose and you get a 70 inch wide bull the tip should be around 8 grand if the trip cost's you 30 large... so i say come prepared.. if he's good the fishing is good ... between three guys i would personally give him a minamun 5 grand ... depending on how everything goes down... Hope this helps...

Another thing how much are you guy's paying for the trip? between the 3 of you.

jrcw
03-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I used to guide and can offer some advice from my experiences. Keep in mind that a lot of guides don't own the business they're working for. Many are employed by a resort or lodge and are likely making a terrible hourly wage (I know I was!). These guides rely on their tips to pay the bills and support their families. When I guided it was mainly Americans who tipped in US dollars. With today's exhange rate guides like that are making even less. Another thing to be aware of is the fact that these are fishing GUIDES not fishing GODS. No matter how talented or experienced there are never any guarantees. A guide can do everything right and still not have the fish cooperate on a given day. Is it right to stiff him on the tip because you didn't catch a trophy even if he busted his ass for you? I guess that's a personal decision. Would you tip a guide who was a rude and lazy if you DID catch a trophy? I guess it's a matter of prospective. What is the tip rewarding, the individual's effort or the results? Have fun and tight lines!

Kim473
03-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Hmmmmmmm $1.00/ LB And dont forget the cook at the camp.:confused:

tacklerunner
03-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Painter's guides own all of their own gear and are employed by the lodge. They get the boat and fuel. The rest is up to them. You will see a diverse quality of gear and organization. Usually, but not always, that tells you how emotionally invested a guide is to get you on the fish. They make about $20/hr as a wage. So generally, $50 per 4 hrs is an average tip (for the boat, not each). If you get a good catch and the guide is going to end up cleaning and bagging 6 or 8 fish for you, you may choose to up it a bit. If you get skunked, you have to make a decision:

- give him nothing or 10 bucks a head for trying if other guys are catching
- give him a full tip if you still have good vibe about him and don't be afraid to tell him you expect a better day tomorrow
- if you think you're not gelling with the guy and having fun, demand a new guide for the next trip. If you don't you'll get the same guy all 3 days.

You're the customer and have the right to demand what you expect even if they get a little ****y at you at times, which they will.

Just as a note, if you ask they might give you a 6 hour trip instead of the 4 hour blocks they book in. So if you think 8 hrs is too much, try ask for 6. It can be an 1 ride out to get to the "best" spot sometimes so if you book 4 hours only, there's basically only 1 or 2 areas you'll be going to and it's crowded.

Have a great trip and good luck.

Wes_G
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
There was an article in I believe Outdoor Canada last summer called "How to not make yourself look like an ass on a fly in fishing trip" The whole article covered this topic pretty good and was %110 accurate..

Keep in mind its not the guide thats charging you the big bucks like you think. Like was said most guides work for a lodge or shop and only see an hourly wage thats not that great. They do depend on there tips to make decent money. The lodge I work at pays us $110 for 8 hours of guiding guests (thats $13.75 an hour!) not great money, but I can double that with a decent tipper.

I would say only about 20% of your tip should be based on succes that you have. A guide cant make the fish bite any more then you or I can on a regular day of fishing, he just knows the area and water better and how to fish it effectively. Some days are good and some aren't thats just the way it is. I would tip more based on guide performance. How much knowledge does he have? how helpfull is he? now if you have a lousy day and all the other boats came in with a great day... thats a different story.

And dont keep asking him "can you take us to where all the fish are now?" or "can you take us to a big fish now?" Its incredibly annoying!!

big zeke
03-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I've tipped as much as one day rate for a 3 day trip...roughly doubled the take home of the guide for our trip but we had a really good time and the guide worked non-stop. I've also given as little as $10 for the day. The difference is how hard the guide worked, the quality of the gear he supplied and to some extent the final catch. Guides that just hang out some bait and sit on their butt 'til something trips out generally get very little. Guys who are reluctant to chase after bigger fish (to save boat fuel for example) don't get very much either.

The guide gets a small fraction of the dayrate, esp in a lodge. Once the cook, servers and equipment is paid, it does not leave a lot. Keep in mind you need to compensate the hours he spends cleaning and bagging the catch as well; in some cases up to a few hours of this.

I once had a fella take us on the Bow, we sat in an old beat up boat using repaired and busted rods with a minimal selection of flys, we shared a Tim Hortons sub over warm Pepsi and he ended the day early because he had a drinking date with his friends...the clincher was watching other guys in our party (who chose other guides) eating a tossed salad for lunch before he grilled chicken breasts served with red wine...did I mention we shared one sub? All the trip home the guide played up the "fun" we had, I told him he was lucky to get his dayrate and we drove home in silence.

Zeke

New Hunter Okotoks
03-27-2010, 11:55 AM
When fishing on the coast we would tip $100.00 to the guide if he was a good guy.We were on a company trip so we had a few guides.1 in particular was a knob.The last one to leave the dock,and the first 1 back.He only brought 5 anchovies out for bait and gave 1 of our guys a hard time for not keeping his line tight enough on a coho that came about 5 feet out of the water and threw the hook.Nobody wanted to go out with him.We gave him nothing.
On the flip side,we were just about fighting over another guide named Peter.We explained to him that we were problem drinkers,not social drinkers:lol: and he made sure we had plenty of beer and food.The guy had a great sense of humour and was the type of guy that could get along with anyone.He got at least$150.00 from every group and 1 gave him $200.00 and they only caught a few small springs but they KNEW he put in the effort.

BTW. I hate it when you meet a guide and the first thing they say:" Man,you guys should have been here last week!"

DarkAisling
03-27-2010, 12:24 PM
There is some really great info in this thread :) I had no idea how little many guides actually make, and as a result I wouldn't naturally be inclined to tip them (and this is coming from a woman who even tips her dog's groomer). :o

Well, now I know better. I honestly don't think I'd factor in a catch rate or size into my tip. It would be based 100% on work ethic and personality: if I'm not catching fish, but I am having a good time, I figure the guide has done his job.

spopadyn
03-27-2010, 01:01 PM
When I fish at Eagle Point lodge (north of Rupert) they have now preset a $100 tip minimum per person per day(a guides day is often 12-14 hours). Be clear, if you tip crappy, none of the best guides will want to fish with you. When I take my clients up, we prepay all the basic tips in advance and then the fun begins. I like to walk on the boat and make deals with the guide. Somestime it will be "if we land a tyee - an extra $100" if we catch our limit, another $100. I have even made a deal for $1000 if we catch a 40lb spring. You would not believe how hard a guide works when extra moolah is on the line. Those guys are awesome. With all my bets, I have had guides make as much as $800 in tips - but, I also had my best fishing day ever. Also, when we have a fish derby, I make it mandatory that the guides gets 1/2 of the prize (after all, if the guide doesn't put you into the fish - no way you can win).

Man, I can't wait for June again!

PS:probably budget for at least $100/person/day.

jusfloatin
03-27-2010, 01:22 PM
When I fish at Eagle Point lodge (north of Rupert) they have now preset a $100 tip minimum per person per day(a guides day is often 12-14 hours). Be clear, if you tip crappy, none of the best guides will want to fish with you. When I take my clients up, we prepay all the basic tips in advance and then the fun begins. I like to walk on the boat and make deals with the guide. Somestime it will be "if we land a tyee - an extra $100" if we catch our limit, another $100. I have even made a deal for $1000 if we catch a 40lb spring. You would not believe how hard a guide works when extra moolah is on the line. Those guys are awesome. With all my bets, I have had guides make as much as $800 in tips - but, I also had my best fishing day ever. Also, when we have a fish derby, I make it mandatory that the guides gets 1/2 of the prize (after all, if the guide doesn't put you into the fish - no way you can win).

Man, I can't wait for June again!

PS:probably budget for at least $100/person/day.

Such is life for the rich and famous. I guess

I am not trying to be cheap but I have to work hard for each and every dollar I make and I am required to do the best job I can for what I am being paid for reguardless. If I don't like it or I do not feel my job meets my needs i work someplace else.
It takes me a considerable amount of time to save up for a days float down the Bow and to have to save more just so I can tip the owner of the drift boat to do the job which he is in my words is already being highly paid for.

Tofinofish
03-27-2010, 02:15 PM
There is some really great info in this thread :) I had no idea how little many guides actually make, and as a result I wouldn't naturally be inclined to tip them (and this is coming from a woman who even tips her dog's groomer). :o

Well, now I know better. I honestly don't think I'd factor in a catch rate or size into my tip. It would be based 100% on work ethic and personality: if I'm not catching fish, but I am having a good time, I figure the guide has done his job.

I can't speak for all operators that employ guides on company vessels, but there are some that pay very well to keep very good guides employed year after year, and these same employee guides often "earn" the tips that they deserve working in a high service industry.

I have witnessed guides that are not as deserving of high tips, and they should hear in a contructive way how they might serve their next customers better, if you feel inclined to go that far.

We leave the gratuity optional on all trips.

DarkAisling
03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
When I fish at Eagle Point lodge (north of Rupert) they have now preset a $100 tip minimum per person per day(a guides day is often 12-14 hours).

Well, I certainly will never be going there! A preset minimum does nothing but give the guides the opportunity to slack off and still be compensated as if they'd busted their butts. A "recommendation" is one thing, a "minimum" is something else entirely.

If they want to ensure their guides get it, they should increase the cost of the trip by that much and give it to the guides directly.

And that is the way it should be. A gratuity/tip is what is given to someone if you appreciate his/her efforts, and not everyone can afford to tip the same way. $10 for one person could be a much greater statement of appreciation than a $1000 for someone else.

spopadyn
03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Eagle Point is JR Shaws lodge and every guide out there wants to work for them. Dark, if you get a chance to get there - I promise the $100 min tip is not outrageous at all. They guarantee 10 hours on the water and the boats all have heated cabins with bathrooms on board. Everyone I know who has fished at Eagle Point all rate it the best. (maybe not the best fishing, but certainly the best lodge). I actually think the reason they did it is guys would come in with a career fishing day and give the guide a beer as a tip, while others would tip guides for effort. It set a level of expectations for all guests and none that I know of, have ever complained. In fact, most found it makes life easy. And, most guides like the challenge of going for the big one.

Cheers.

spopadyn
03-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I can't speak for all operators that employ guides on company vessels, but there are some that pay very well to keep very good guides employed year after year, and these same employee guides often "earn" the tips that they deserve working in a high service industry.

I have witnessed guides that are not as deserving of high tips, and they should hear in a contructive way how they might serve their next customers better, if you feel inclined to go that far.

Can't disagree with you at all. If you have a bad day due to guide incompetence or, the guide is a complete a******, then no tip should happen (complain to the fishmaster and you get your tip back). The problem for guides is many people want to tip like they are waitresses. Nobody argues the 10-20% a waitress/er is left for a meal that takes on hour and costs $100. Why is a $100 min strange when we typically pay $1000 for a day on the water with a guide? Fishing is one expensive hobby.

DarkAisling
03-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Eagle Point is JR Shaws lodge and every guide out there wants to work for them. Dark, if you get a chance to get there - I promise the $100 min tip is not outrageous at all.

I don't feel that a $100 tip is outrageous, I just feel that if it is required it is outrageous. If it was a recommended minimum I would feel quite differently about it.

It makes me wonder how they're paying their guides. There was a restaurant back home (Chilliwack, BC) that automatically added a 15% tip to your bill (back in the late '80s/early '90s), and as a result of this they were able to get away with paying their servers half of minimum wage. I won't publish the name of the restaurant, but I will say that it was a Greek place located at 9360 Young Rd.

The Elkster
03-27-2010, 08:03 PM
What I can't figure out is how they can charge the rates they do and still get clients. I mean if you going to do the trip more than once why not just buy a fricken boat and do it yourself or do a luxury trip for longer down south in the dead of winter. Don't get me wrong I love west coast fishing but I mean 4-6k for 4-5 days and tips aren't included. Gimme a break! Think about it. Why the heck does it cost $1000/day. Th fishing isn't rocket science and the meals aren't 5 michelin stars. So its my job to subsidize an underpaid guide because they let a well paid lodge owner take advantage of them. Ummm something just don't jibe with me. I'll take my boat and do it myself thanks. May catch a few less but hey I'll focus on the thousands I save.

spopadyn
03-27-2010, 08:38 PM
No need to eat out at a restaurant when you can cook your own food. Argument works for everything we do. As for buying a boat, you Rockerfeller's can maybe afford the 200K needed for those boats but I can't - pay back would be 25-30 years.

Redfrog
03-28-2010, 12:43 AM
What I can't figure out is how they can charge the rates they do and still get clients. I mean if you going to do the trip more than once why not just buy a fricken boat and do it yourself or do a luxury trip for longer down south in the dead of winter. Don't get me wrong I love west coast fishing but I mean 4-6k for 4-5 days and tips aren't included. Gimme a break! Think about it. Why the heck does it cost $1000/day. Th fishing isn't rocket science and the meals aren't 5 michelin stars. So its my job to subsidize an underpaid guide because they let a well paid lodge owner take advantage of them. Ummm something just don't jibe with me. I'll take my boat and do it myself thanks. May catch a few less but hey I'll focus on the thousands I save.

Hire a one ton truck to haul goods for a day. How much do you think it would cost?

Did you think he has no expenses. Boat, fuel, moorage, insurance, maintenance, etc.etc. How much does a guy on the rigs make?

Kim473
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
I would tip like I do in a restorante Good service good tip, poor service poor tip and I tell them that the service sucks so they know why a poor tip.

Beazer
03-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Problem is most people don't know how to tip at a good restaurant.
So you could probably throw that out the window.

I don't know who still tips 10% at restaurants. Unless the service is extremely in the ****ter, or your just going to some random bar or hitting the Keg for their awesome food:rolleyes:

If these people are making a living off of tips, then you shouldn't have any issues tipping 30% for a great day.ie good food, good fish, good times.
Factor in everything except the uncontrollable.

If the guy makes the visible effort, does more than he's required to do, then don't be a tight azz

thumper
03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
30% tip for 'good' food, 'good' fishing and 'good times' ????

I thought a tip was for EXCEEDING expected levels of service.

I tip 10% for reasonably good service, and 15% or so for exceptional service. Just because I'm on a guided fishing trip doesn't mean I'm a millionaire - some of the owner/guides are a lot wealthier than I am!

Lots of guided trips include charter airfare in & out. Do you include that in your tip calculation too?

The Elkster
03-28-2010, 10:20 AM
30%! since when is it a customers job to subsidize a persons wage? If my boss decides to short change me on variable pay can I approach a service company to top up my wage? No if I don't like it I go find other work...thats the option. If a guide doesn't like the wage or can't live on it (and I don't doubt that they are in tough) then quit and do something else. Ultimately the lodge will have to pay more or they won't have a business. Using tips like that just opens yourself up to getting taken by business owners. Let them pay the wage and reflect that in the upfront cost and none of this "give what you feel is right for this down on his luck fella".

Beazer
03-29-2010, 02:15 AM
If someone can't afford to tip that much, there's no harm in that...there are other ways I'm sure to express your gratitude.

Nobody says you have to tip x amount, but if you have one of the most memorable experiences, then you should tip appropriately(should have explained the good food, good fish thing more thoroughly)

I don't see it as subsidizing at all(in most cases).
I would presume the wage is part of the job, guides would be used to it.
It's like waiters/esses. They usually make minimum wage and relay almost entirely on tips to survive. If we had the same attitude as far as subsidizing, then you would never ever enjoy a meal, because nobody would care. There would be zero high end establishments.

The principle is very similar.

You don't have to tip crazy, but it should reflect your experience.
If you can only afford x amount then the guides not going to be miffed, the person will understand if he/she is human.

People work extremly hard for tips especially when they are making min wage. Those that don't care or don't work hard(easy to spot) don't make good tips(or at least shouldn't)

I'm kinda trying to explain it from the tipped persons' POV.
Now there are always underlying reasons for differnt places but I'm speaking in general.

ps-don't calculate airfare and travel expenses. I'm talking about the actual money that goes to the guide, none of the fluff.

McLeod
03-29-2010, 07:42 AM
So is having to add in a $ 100 or $150 tip discouraging some peoPle from using a guide on a one day trip say down the Bow or the Red Deer ?

DarkAisling
03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Nobody says you have to tip x amount

Unless you're at Eagle Point Lodge, apparently.

So is having to add in a $ 100 or $150 tip discouraging some peoPle from using a guide on a one day trip say down the Bow or the Red Deer ?

I would not give a guide a $100 or $150 tip for a one day trip down either of those rivers, unless I did something to put him (or his equipment) in peril and was feeling very apologetic. If it was myself and my #1 son $150 might be quite a reasonable tip.

crazyfish
03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I would not give a guide a $100 or $150 tip for a one day trip down either of those rivers, unless I did something to put him (or his equipment) in peril and was feeling very apologetic. If it was myself and my #1 son $150 might be quite a reasonable tip.

That would be a pretty big tip IMO, a day trip on the bow the last time i went was 400 $, 60-80 sounds about right, but just my.02$. And i don't have an issue with tipping, that just seems high !

THe other side of the tip thing, if you find a guide that you really like on the bow, hire him personaly, instead of a shop "booking" him for you and taking at least half. that way he gets all your cash up front and it's already better for him !

Tofinofish
03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
-Was thinking about this more last night after 2 days of individual staff meetings with out fishing guides and front service staff.

Something to keep in mind when assessing/considering tip for fishing guides when obviously getting fish to bite is not something they can actually control.

A guide should be totally prepared to do his job to the best of his ability, not getting 4 miles offshore and having to admit they are out of Anchovies, leader material etc, or not enough fuel to travel to a reasonable distance to provide opportunity.
Vessel needs to be spotless and organized in my opinion, as no paying guest deserves to board a vessel that is not spotless and smelling clean.
Personality is huge, with personal hygene very slightly less important.
Effort throughout the day is noticeable, with ability to act quick and multitask is paramount. For those that have witnessed a guide that is "asleep at the wheel" compared to a guide that is alert and ready, can be a factor for recognition for sure.
I have definitley witnessed guides that have expected to be tipped, while not being all or any of the above. I wouldn't have tipped them well at all even if they got lucky to find you a big one...
We have experienced gear loss of all degrees, and is nice when guests offer but we accept it as part of the cost. (I did have a lady virtually toss a Sage/Islander combo into a remote mountain lake. No offer of regret, compensation or tip for biting my lip real hard. This is a rare circumstance, but is a situation that a guide or company owner would expect something in return. At least apology.)
Fortunately my guide team are like minded employees and deserving of their tips. (They also know that I am Type A about my vessels etc.) I don't often have to dig into the resume' pile that is always there.

J.

BowhuntAB
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
It all depends on the guide. You shouldnt go out and spend the day wondering how much to tip. The service, help, lessons, gear, lunch, attitude, comfort, booking ease, professionalism.....should dictate what you should tip.
I guided locally for 10+ years up until 2005 and the tip amounts always changed. I would guess an average was around $70.00 on a $400.00 float trip. There where days when you could do everything bang on and give your clients the trip of a lifetime and only get $20.00 for it and to be honest i wouldnt really care as long as they clients had fun! Most good guides understand that not everyone can afford to tip the way some clients do. At the end of the day the treatment of clients should not be any different or be geared around getting tipped. I have had some great tips in the past everything from rods, reels, trips, hockey tickets or my pesonal best $1000.00 US for 4 hours of fishing. However, the best tip at days end is happy, possible return client that was showed a great time on there trip.

Go have fun and tip what feels right!

adventures
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Tips for guides/staff varies a lot as many have said. I’ve seen guides paid from 5-20% of the per person daily rate. I've also had guides tell me they've been paid very large tips, and some very low/no tips. It's all over the place. In some cases clients are not even aware that tipping is standard practice. Sometimes more than one guide is part of your experience, and then there’s the cook and other camp staff to consider. It can really add up. It’s also good to talk to other clients who are at the lodge. With any gratuity it should be based on your experience and how hard the staff worked for you. Have a great trip!

On a sidenote… Crazyfish, you mentioned that a shop that books a guide takes more than half. Maybe I've misread something here, but wanted to point out that it’s rare for a booking agent’s commission to be above 20%, and most guides pay an average of 10-15% for a prepaid client. Lots of factors in that rate too that the agent absorbs (marketing, overhead, credit card fees, etc). If you know of any guides that offer this kind of commission (>50%), please PM me. Something else that should be clarified is that a client who books directly should pay the same price as one who has come through a booking agent. I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to make that point too.

Okotokian
03-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Two key factors:
1) Do I ever expect to see them again.
2) Do I need their assistance to get back home?
:lol:

Seriously, tip on the effort and customer service, not whether a prime animal shows up (though NO animals might indicate poor scouting). And personally, for me anyway, it would make a difference if the person was the owner or an employee. I would expect an owner to have their profit margin already built in. A Tip isn't their main source of income. I'm open to being corrected however.

crazyfish
03-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Thats what i was told by our guide on the day we went, that the shop " nameless" took 1/2 what we paid, and he got the other 1/2. He also said he would charge us a bit less the next time if we just booked directly with him.

The guide was nice, very well prepared, taught my wife very well, lunch was great, everything i would have expected . I think he "judged" me before we got started and had me pegged for a rookie because of how i was dressed. Didn't bring any gear because we were told we didn't need any. He stuck me in the back ( which i expected) , but wouldn't listen to anything i had to say! The fish cops blew by twice , once down, once back, and they blew all the weeds and stuff off the rocks and bottom.:mad3: I asked twice if i could change from a green marabou steamer, it was lost with all the other green stuff floating around. He didn't want to, said that was what worked and i should keep trying ! 2hrs of no bites he finally said maybe nymphs might be better!:mad3: We did catch a few fish, the wife had some bites but didn't land any. She was still happy. I cast with my right arm, but switch to retrieve using my right again and real in with my right,...not sure if i'm the only one , but thats me ! He wouldn't even consider changing a setup for me, even when i volunteered to do it myself, said that i should learn the proper way anyways !:huh:
What i did learn is the following : make sure that he is aware of what you are expecting from your day ! Make sure he understands everyones ability level . Make sure he's aware that you have a certain style/preference that is different ! Don't be afraid to speak your mind if you know the guide is wrong ! Next time i'm just bringing my own rod/reel combo ! I now realize most of this would have been solved by more communication, but if you've never been outfitted before, you don't know how it all should work ! We did leave a decent tip, but i don't recall where i put his card !:rolleyes:

BowhuntAB
03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Thats what i was told by our guide on the day we went, that the shop " nameless" took 1/2 what we paid, and he got the other 1/2. He also said he would charge us a bit less the next time if we just booked directly with him.

The guide was nice, very well prepared, taught my wife very well, lunch was great, everything i would have expected . I think he "judged" me before we got started and had me pegged for a rookie because of how i was dressed. Didn't bring any gear because we were told we didn't need any. He stuck me in the back ( which i expected) , but wouldn't listen to anything i had to say! The fish cops blew by twice , once down, once back, and they blew all the weeds and stuff off the rocks and bottom. I asked twice if i could change from a green marabou steamer, it was lost with all the other green stuff floating around. He didn't want to, said that was what worked and i should keep trying ! 2hrs of no bites he finally said maybe nymphs might be better! We did catch a few fish, the wife had some bites but didn't land any. She was still happy. I cast with my right arm, but switch to retrieve using my right again and real in with my right,...not sure if i'm the only one , but thats me ! He wouldn't even consider changing a setup for me, even when i volunteered to do it myself, said that i should learn the proper way anyways !:huh:
What i did learn is the following : make sure that he is aware of what you are expecting from your day ! Make sure he understands everyones ability level . Make sure he's aware that you have a certain style/preference that is different ! Don't be afraid to speak your mind if you know the guide is wrong ! Next time i'm just bringing my own rod/reel combo ! I now realize most of this would have been solved by more communication, but if you've never been outfitted before, you don't know how it all should work ! We did leave a decent tip, but i don't recall where i put his card !:rolleyes:

Hmmm....some interesting stuff in your post.

First off the guide should NEVER steal the outfitters clients! EVER! This is the fast way to get black listed by Outfitters. Then again, things have changed a lot in the last few years. Everyone is a guide now :rolleye2: and there is very little respect. To be honest, in our area there are not very many "quality" guides left. The talent is saturated and it seems all you need these days to guide is a dang boat! :mad3: I quit guideing and sold my client list because half the guys out there are giving everyone and our rivers a bad name! :mad:
Ethics are gone! It was either quit or get in fights all day long. :)

My advise is to contact the shop or Outfitter and tell him what what you thought of your day. Be sure to mention that he gave you his card as well! :evilgrin: It would help everyone to get these guys out of the buisness.
In a guides defence, i do hate when a client wants to change flies all the time but after hours you would think he would change up!:huh:

Why would you have tipped him at the end of the day? :huh:
What time of year did you go out? A few fish is a pretty bad day in most months.

Jamie
03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I use the $50/day tactic. And I use it in all situations.

The tip can go up or it can go down.

Things to think about
-Was the boat clean?
-Was the equipment in good repair
-Was there any thought put into the "Extras" (Pop, C-Bars, Snacks, Lunch)
-Did he cost me any fish due to STUPID mistakes? (Yes it happens!)
-Did he make a slow day fishing more enjoyable?

Someone mentioned above that guides are not "Gods". This is so true. They can not control the weather, they can not control if the fish are there in abundance or if the fish are no where to be found.

But they can control the mood on the boat.
I have had some guides that made me laugh all day long and even now I chuckle at the thought of fishing with them.
I have had other guides who I would rather of thrown over board. Even to the point where I refused to Tip them and told them exactly why.

A guide deserves no more of a Tip if he puts me on a large amount or a "XXXL" sized bad boy. It's all about how much fun we have. Make my day enjoyable and you will receive a tip. If it sucks, I will make your Boss miserable.

I have been on enough guided hunting and fishing trips to almost immediately tell if this is going to work for the both of us. So I am up front when we meet about what I expect out of each trip.

Jamie

BowhuntAB
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I use the $50/day tactic. And I use it in all situations.

The tip can go up or it can go down.

Things to think about
-Was the boat clean?
-Was the equipment in good repair
-Was there any thought put into the "Extras" (Pop, C-Bars, Snacks, Lunch)
-Did he cost me any fish due to STUPID mistakes? (Yes it happens!)
-Did he make a slow day fishing more enjoyable?

Someone mentioned above that guides are not "Gods". This is so true. They can not control the weather, they can not control if the fish are there in abundance or if the fish are no where to be found.

But they can control the mood on the boat.
I have had some guides that made me laugh all day long and even now I chuckle at the thought of fishing with them.
I have had other guides who I would rather of thrown over board. Even to the point where I refused to Tip them and told them exactly why.

A guide deserves no more of a Tip if he puts me on a large amount or a "XXXL" sized bad boy. It's all about how much fun we have. Make my day enjoyable and you will receive a tip. If it sucks, I will make your Boss miserable.

I have been on enough guided hunting and fishing trips to almost immediately tell if this is going to work for the both of us. So I am up front when we meet about what I expect out of each trip.

Jamie

Well said Jamie!

thumper
03-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jamie!
Sounds pretty good to me - I'll follow your lead on this.

dss44
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
-Was thinking about this more last night after 2 days of individual staff meetings with out fishing guides and front service staff.

Something to keep in mind when assessing/considering tip for fishing guides when obviously getting fish to bite is not something they can actually control.

A guide should be totally prepared to do his job to the best of his ability, not getting 4 miles offshore and having to admit they are out of Anchovies, leader material etc, or not enough fuel to travel to a reasonable distance to provide opportunity.
Vessel needs to be spotless and organized in my opinion, as no paying guest deserves to board a vessel that is not spotless and smelling clean.
Personality is huge, with personal hygene very slightly less important.
Effort throughout the day is noticeable, with ability to act quick and multitask is paramount. For those that have witnessed a guide that is "asleep at the wheel" compared to a guide that is alert and ready, can be a factor for recognition for sure.
I have definitley witnessed guides that have expected to be tipped, while not being all or any of the above. I wouldn't have tipped them well at all even if they got lucky to find you a big one...
We have experienced gear loss of all degrees, and is nice when guests offer but we accept it as part of the cost. (I did have a lady virtually toss a Sage/Islander combo into a remote mountain lake. No offer of regret, compensation or tip for biting my lip real hard. This is a rare circumstance, but is a situation that a guide or company owner would expect something in return. At least apology.)
Fortunately my guide team are like minded employees and deserving of their tips. (They also know that I am Type A about my vessels etc.) I don't often have to dig into the resume' pile that is always there.

J.

:lol: I am too Jay...making sure my boat is clean is one ofmy first priorities, they are expensive and never will anyone see my boat not taken care of...if the bite is on hot, I'll get two rods in the water then next up is cleaning the blood and deck...if the fishing was like it was last year for us and I know it will be non stop action all day, I usually will mop up that deck as I get one of the guests to take the boat back into the tach...

A clean, comfortable boat goes a heck of a long way and I think a lot of guides underestimate what it can do for an experience...

Jamie
03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys, it's worked for me in the past.

One more thing I should add as well.

Did I learn anything today? Did the guide take the time to teach me how to be more effective at what I am doing? Did he teach me how to tie a line or how to better rig up a herring. These are all things I also like to see.

Jamie

dss44
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
As for actual tipping, I realize not everyone one who comes is capable of tipping, some it may be their trip of a lifetime they saved up for ages for. So what it's all about the gauging the group as well. I like to think I'm a pretty funny guy :lol: and I'm very sarcastic and joke around a lot, some groups misinterpret that and don't get my sense of humour....for example, after maybe the first day of getting to know one another I'll usually start to jokingly rag on guys if they lose a fish etc...I could care less if they lose it (unless its like >50lbs :lol:) ... but do it in jest...the odd person here and there will take me seriously...and possibly my tip would suffer but that's fine because most rag right back at me if it's one of the groups that want me to hook and I miss one etc...that to me is a lot of fun! Just to have a light atmosphere where you can joke around and rag on one another...good times! This past season tips varied from none (group limited out on salmon, halibut, yelloweye, and got a few lings) to $1200 for 3 days...the first group I completely understood as it was a once in a lifetime trip...i had a BLAST with them and enjoyed every second...the latter obviously was a wealthier group and could afford it...so I don't think from a guides perspective that there is always expected to be a tip...sure it's nice as its my spending money for school, but like the once in a lifetime group, I honestly had so much fun seeing them catch fish and see how excited they were, it was absolutely a-ok I didn't get a tip....if the 2nd group didn't tip, maybe it'd be a bit more of a shocker I guess...

crazyfish
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
this was a few years ago, early august, fairly warm, nice day ! Tip i believe was 20 $, lost his card, and did talk with the shop after.

I was there more to learn the river, (1st time on a new river), my wife had not fly fished before but did enjoy the day, so i let it stay that way !

I only wanted to change the fly when i saw that it was probably invisible with the rest of the floatsam on /in the river ! I was very patient, polite,and kept trying ! It was a good learning experience, now i would have no issues being up front with my goals for the day and expectations.

I also now realize that all guides aren't gods is true, if you know something isn't gonna work , speak up !

BowhuntAB
03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
this was a few years ago, early august, fairly warm, nice day ! Tip i believe was 20 $, lost his card, and did talk with the shop after.

I was there more to learn the river, (1st time on a new river), my wife had not fly fished before but did enjoy the day, so i let it stay that way !

I only wanted to change the fly when i saw that it was probably invisible with the rest of the floatsam on /in the river ! I was very patient, polite,and kept trying ! It was a good learning experience, now i would have no issues being up front with my goals for the day and expectations.

I also now realize that all guides aren't gods is true, if you know something isn't gonna work , speak up !

I'd love to know who it was!:)
Anyways, August should have been good fishing depending on the flows and clairity. August is full of options as well. Streamers, nymphing, Hoppers, Caddis...as a guide he may have made some bad choices that day. The most important thing should have been if you had fun or not and it sounds like you didnt really enjoy your day.
Nice of you to still tip $20.00. :)

berteotti
03-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey my name is ryan and i am a guide been for 3 years now it all depends on what,they guideing u to if its just fishing i would ssay 50 to 100 bucks more is pushing it i guided a big bull elk mulie and whitey for my client and i got 500 bucks plus binocs and range finder but i think 50 to 100 is fair i usually give the cook some of my tips but ya that is my thought

Mike_W
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I think one thing everyone has to remember is these guides do have to work hard. Most angler and hunters sit back and say that fishing or hunting for a living is a dream job and don't get me wrong I am sure for alot of guides it is but we don't understand the amount of work that goes into a fishing or a hunting trip.
Fishing the west coast for example guides are usually up and on the docks by 5:30 at the latest with bait food and beverage for there clients they do a wipedown and usually have the boat running with all the downriggers and lines ready to go as soon as they are at the fishing grounds, then there clients arrive they get them in the boat and comfortable and take off ASAP, the ammount of work to get lines down and control the boat while checking on your clients is a lot of work. Teaching a rookie how to reel in a fish while controling the boat and getting the net is quite the task, getting your line back down and cleaning the boat again while controling the boat again is quite the task. Then when the days fishing is done they get your catch out of the boat for photos them proceed to clean and package the catch. then remember when this is all done they have to go back to there boat and clean it and prep it with new leaders and rigs and have everything organized for tomorrows trip.
While it may be a dream job it aint luxury its hard tiring work an average day is probably 12 hours.
I am not a guide nor do I use the services of a guide, I just run my own boat and do week long trips with rookie salmon anglers and basically guide them (friends and family) and can really appreciate the hard work required an I wouldn't be to satisfied only making $100 bucks a day.

LongDraw
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Question;

Do you approach it differently when tipping if the owner/operator is guiding you compared to a hired guide?

BowhuntAB
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Question;

Do you approach it differently when tipping if the owner/operator is guiding you compared to a hired guide?

I don't think so Longdraw. Its still a service and contrary to what most people think the money you pay for a guide/outfitter is not as much as you would think. Around here we would make around 400.00 per day before tip. I would start my day at around 5:00-5:30 and be at home parking the boat usually around 11:00 to Midnight. It only works out to around $20.00-$30.00 per hour. The outfitter also has the extra work of booking the trip, discussing rates, open days, hotel rooms, pick up times...
Its a lot of work for both guide and Outfitter. In the 90's as a guide we would show up at the shop be given our lunch/drinks, booked a shuttle and sent on our way. Now the common way to go is the outfitters pay extra for the guide to do all the work and they only keep an admin fee. I think it was easier and a lot less stressful to be a guide then it was an outfitter.

As i mentioned above. All you need to do is tip on the service you are provided. If the service was crap then don't tip, plain and simple. I think its crazy for guys to expect tips when they don't work hard or provide the fun service clients expect. Besides, if it was a dud of a day your not going to see the guide again, right? If the guide works his tail off for you and you tip him well, he's going to remember you and you may get even better service next time!