PDA

View Full Version : Baitless Bows

Fishfinder
03-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I am wondering what y'all use when it comes to fishing for rainbows without using any bait whatsoever? I am referring to either trolling with a boat or spincasting from shore(not flyfishing).
It's a much trickier game with no bait and I have been trying a lil bit of everything when it comes to lures as to find out what works best/better.
I don't expect anyone to reveal their magical lures or anything jus a point in the right direction or any advice would be super duper. Thanx all.
Cheers.:)

tacklerunner
03-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Spinners like panther martins or mepps, 2" buzz bombs, rapalas or even if you don't fly fish, don't be afraid to try a bobber and a hot fly that's working at the time. This info you can get from you local fly store or read the threads on the forum.

Fishfinder
03-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Spinners like panther martins or mepps, 2" buzz bombs, rapalas or even if you don't fly fish, don't be afraid to try a bobber and a hot fly that's working at the time. This info you can get from you local fly store or read the threads on the forum.

Yes, generally that's along the lines of what I have been using/trying. Have never tried BB's for any kind of trout, but the more I read on here lately, I think I better give em a try on the Bows. Thanx n GL out there!:)
Cheers.

huntsfurfish
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
You can add flatfish to the list as well, F4-F7s most common sizes.:wave:

plus gang trolls and a fly or other lure.

ULTRAlite
03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
vertical jigging these guys from a boat can be deadly...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/Jigs%20and%20Flies/FirstTie-1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/Jigs%20and%20Flies/FistJigSalePackage.jpg

bloom
03-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Yup, I find the closer you can get to fly fishing, the better you usually do out at Bullshead (that's what I'm betting you're looking at)

Either slowly bounce/reel jig along the bottom...black to imitate a leech, or white/silver to imitate a baitfish. Or put a black jig or nymph underneath a casting bobber and cast it ~10 feet out, and hang the jig ~5' under it. Let it sit, or reel in really slow. Wind drifting it is the best.

Should do fine at Bullshead using the above.

goober
03-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Copper Kastmaster, 5 of Diamonds, Red Devil and Buckshot Rattle spoons to name a few.

Fishfinder
03-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Cool, thanx all. There's a few tactics/lures mentioned that I have not tried. Will give em all a go. I still got a big GC to spend at the Outdoorsman:)
And yes Bloom, u hit the nail right on the Bullshead:D
Thanx again everybody!

seahawkfisher
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
williams wablers; bigger than you think you will need trolled wayyyyy back and faster than you think you need to go, with no weight

cheers

Gulp-man
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Brown trout pattern cd1 rapala's are essential. Dont be afraid to use bigger ones up to 7. Any spinner with black bucktail usually works well to. I always add a split shot or two above the swivel to get it down deep before it goes past the fish. If ya wanna cheat then floresnt orange gulp dough bait does it all for ya. 9 rainbows in 15 casts last time i used it. float 6-7 feet above hook with small split 12-18 inches above bait to get past the current. Let me know what works best for ya.