PDA

View Full Version : Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing

Fishfull Thinker..
03-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Hello:wave:fellow fisherman,I am new to ther forum & was wodering if the new alberta fishing mag is in stores yet?

keljay
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
It sure is. I picked one up last week, and I've seen them in lots of stores.

Fishfull Thinker..
03-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks,Just wanted to save a trip,I'm out the door...

nevercatchmuch
03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I like the magazine but wish it would be updated more often. Although it comes out each year, many of the lakes have the same info they did 8 years ago. Surely the fish sizes, etc. have changed.

Tekan
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I like the magazine but wish it would be updated more often. Although it comes out each year, many of the lakes have the same info they did 8 years ago. Surely the fish sizes, etc. have changed.

It has honestly been over a decade since most of that info was updated. Pretty dissapointing, considering I have bought that magazine every year. The maps are probably just as old as the info.
He is more concerned of out west then what he is of us prarie folk, and to think of the money he makes for reprinting the same magazine over and over and over.
Just my two cents.
TEKAN

nicemustang
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
True, but valuable to have at least one copy. Plus there is usually some good articles in there that I don't mind reading, I buy a few magazines quarterly anyway to read.

Pierre
04-16-2010, 01:18 PM
In the 2003 issue of the AFG, Barry explains:

"One of the most often asked questions is, "Where do you get your information?" The answer's simple. We work damn hard at it. In the 23 years since Ann and I bought Dad's share of the business and went our own way with the magazine, we've not only acquired more than 1000 maps for research, but we've made friends with the provincial fisheries biologists and call them each year to pick their brains about conditions of specific waters in their area.

It doesn't end there. Friends, fishing partners and readers feed us new info and give us leads all the time. Then there's the 60,000 km I put on my truck every year as I do my own research or confirm something a reader has pointed out."

Logan
04-16-2010, 10:47 PM
In the 2003 issue of the AFG, Barry explains:

"One of the most often asked questions is, "Where do you get your information?" The answer's simple. We work damn hard at it. In the 23 years since Ann and I bought Dad's share of the business and went our own way with the magazine, we've not only acquired more than 1000 maps for research, but we've made friends with the provincial fisheries biologists and call them each year to pick their brains about conditions of specific waters in their area.

It doesn't end there. Friends, fishing partners and readers feed us new info and give us leads all the time. Then there's the 60,000 km I put on my truck every year as I do my own research or confirm something a reader has pointed out."

Until Ling are a recognized fish in this magazine I will keep using the 2002 edition I still have in my truck that tells me the exact same info the 2010 edition does. :mad:

whiskybaron
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
That magazine is an absolute waste of money, they have lakes around GP listed as good fishing and I can garantee you that if you spend all day there you would not catch a fish, like Bear and the cutbank they have no perch left, it is outdated and a waste of money. Other lakes the trails into them are no longer drivable and people will never find them with the crappy directions in them. Just my opinion I bought one a few years ago and I should have just thrown the money on the street.

Luckystar
04-18-2010, 12:00 AM
i disagree, when i first moved to alberta this book helped me out a great deal with finding places to fish. sure, not all of them were great, but noone should have to hold your hand. the directions, although not the greatest, worked for me. nothing like that exists in bc yet, not sure about the other provinces. i found it to be priceless, not saying i need to buy one each year, but as a once every 5-10 year purchase for ten bucks, i think it was great, and have recomended it to several people.

luckyme
04-18-2010, 12:43 AM
but i still keep back to this forum,why?? because it talk back to me.giving me an update from other people like me that have the same motivation like me.
i am not againts any magazine since a have some of them, but i will not wait every year to get something out of it.:D

McLeod
04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
The articles in Magazine every year are excellent. That is why I keep buying it. There are few publications about Alberta fishing so I support what there is.
The Guide is very good for new anglers. If you find the directions to a particular body of water are not correct than let Barry know.
I still refer back to issues from the 80's.
Each to their own but for 10 bucks I feel it's well worth it.

sdimedru
04-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Until Ling are a recognized fish in this magazine I will keep using the 2002 edition I still have in my truck that tells me the exact same info the 2010 edition does. :mad:

Burbot is one of the bucket list items in this years mag.... recogintion?

ice
04-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Only thing i get them for is the articles:)

CeeZee
04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
i do believe some of the info may be out dated, but just like luckystar i knew nothing about fishing in alberta and it did help me to find some fishing spots! between the directions in the book and a detailed backroads map lake were very easy to locate, each to their own, for people who grew up in AB it is likely not the best info, but for those who are new it is like a bible.
2 cents, not much.

a golden trout
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I have always enjoyed this magazine, in particular when Kyle McNeilly used to write for it, about some unusual fisheres in Alberta.

a golden trout

Okotokian
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I like the mag. I just wish it had better/more detailed directions. It would be helpful if they had really detailed maps as well. That way I could learn about all the streams within, say, 30 km of my town. As it is now you need a microscope to see streams and names on those maps (and I don't know the name and location of every stream within 30 km off the top of my head).

There may be a lot that doesn't change from year to year, but I still buy it when it come out each year because I also enjoy the articles.

1899b
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I like the mag. I just wish it had better/more detailed directions. It would be helpful if they had really detailed maps as well. That way I could learn about all the streams within, say, 30 km of my town. As it is now you need a microscope to see streams and names on those maps (and I don't know the name and location of every stream within 30 km off the top of my head).

There may be a lot that doesn't change from year to year, but I still buy it when it come out each year because I also enjoy the articles.

............x2

Berland Beauty
05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
I too have found several issues with the mag. Namley when he strats talking about fishing in my home region. the names of roads are inaccurate as well as fish speciecs. Directions have changed due to new oil field roads and what not. His book about the trunk road was great and I love the info. But i have to agree that he has done little in the last 10 years to update the northern regions. For example if one was to look for the grizzly junction around fox creek or the grizzly trail they would be surpriesd to find out the railway tracks have been removed, and the grizzly name died with the old amaco bigstone plant. That road is now just the bigstone road and contrary to his books and articles offers excellent acess to the little smoky in several locations not one location as his book says. Not to mention the several bridges accessed by oil roads between fox creek and valleyview a distance of 78km there is easily 6-7 bridges and 100's of cutline and pipline access some of which are only a few hundred feet to the river. It is a great guide for fishing unfamilure territory such as when I venture south and do not know the region, perhaps he could use a few locals in each region to help fill in the gaps. All in all he does a wonderfull job and I enjoy his mag and book and await each eddition each season.

on the rise
05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Perhaps they should list the coordinates and then one can google earth the spots. Also have the general directions for those who still live in the 1960's and have no computer:rolleye2:

Speckler
09-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Try finding these places yourselves with the "Hints" Barry has handed out over the years. I used the "Trout Highway" last year with awesome success and had many adventurous surprises about places that no longer exist and new ones that did. I love maple smoked Brook Trout, but only enjoy my vice a few times a year. The rest of my time is spent picking up garbage after pigs that leave it behind, burning my cell minutes reporting white buckets filled to the brim to "Report a Poacher", and generally trying to educate other anglers about politeness and personal fishing space bubbles that aught be respected, and learning more about catching trout. Kudos to Barry! Wish I had a mentor like you 20 years ago.

Alberta Bigbore
09-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Try finding these places yourselves with the "Hints" Barry has handed out over the years. I used the "Trout Highway" last year with awesome success and had many adventurous surprises about places that no longer exist and new ones that did. I love maple smoked Brook Trout, but only enjoy my vice a few times a year. The rest of my time is spent picking up garbage after pigs that leave it behind, burning my cell minutes reporting white buckets filled to the brim to "Report a Poacher", and generally trying to educate other anglers about politeness and personal fishing space bubbles that aught be respected, and learning more about catching trout. Kudos to Barry! Wish I had a mentor like you 20 years ago.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/resurrectionfunny.jpg

Speckler
09-29-2012, 11:19 AM
LOL! Maybe Barry will want to go fishing with me! It'd be fun!

Alberta Bigbore
09-29-2012, 11:52 AM
heh, just razzing. This thread is two years old.