PDA

View Full Version : Weasle?

Gary K
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Well I walked down close to lkaeview in the weaslehead. Has anyong fished there? Saw a couple of deep pools close to the foot bridge i'm gonna give a go at Any suggestions would be great
and also me being stupid I can't seem to find the regs on that stretch. Am I blind?

Gary K
03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
No one eh?

WayneChristie
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
might want to wait a bit
from Hwy 22 downstream to Glenmore Reservoir and tributaries
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm: Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

Gary K
03-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I just found that before I checked here. Thanks though!!!! Don't know what my problem Was before ... Was not hard to find second time around:)

Joel Massicotte
03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Gary

I saw that same spot on Saturday. Looks very promising. As well as the shallows a bit farther upstream. Can't wait to get in there!

As for the Reg's... I'm asking the same question. The reg's and the Map of the area don't seem to match up, or as I see it so far, pretty vague.

"Downstream to the Glenmore reservoir...". The Glenmore reservoir area (Park and Weaselhead) extend as far west as Sarcee! If the Elbow River rules apply until the water hits the Actual Glenmore Res body of water, then today, its at least 100 meters east of 37th! So... if there was a definitive cutoff from where the Elbow regs apply (and end) and the Glenmore Res regs begin that would be super helpful!

Thanks.

The Fisherman Guy
03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
I have fished that area for years, as I live just around the corner. Where the Elbow meets the reservoir, it is quite shallow and muddy, and a tonne of geese, ducks, terns and gulls... poop heaven. Move further upstream and you will find a decent amount of pike willing to hit the regular pike lures. I have yet to pull any decent trout outta there, but I bet they are in there as the cover and pools suggest. Take your bike and ride upstream on the Elbow and look for some spots. Weaselhead borders the reserve, careful where you fish.

Watch out for wildlife, there's plenty in there. Three moose removed from Pump Hill last year, and a family of bobcats living in Palliser. They follow the river valley through the reserve and along the reservoir, commonly coming out at the end of 24 st. Keep your head up!

Gary K
03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Gary

I saw that same spot on Saturday. Looks very promising. As well as the shallows a bit farther upstream. Can't wait to get in there!

As for the Reg's... I'm asking the same question. The reg's and the Map of
the area don't seem to match up, or as I see it so far, pretty vague.

"Downstream to the Glenmore reservoir...". The Glenmore reservoir area (Park and Weaselhead) extend as far west as Sarcee! If the Elbow River rules apply until the water hits the Actual Glenmore Res body of water, then today, its at least 100 meters east of 37th! So... if there was a definitive cutoff from where the Elbow regs apply (and end) and the Glenmore Res regs begin that would be super helpful!

Thanks.

I would like to know as well. I imagine the elbow regs apply right to the res. And even the inlet perhaps. Also there is pike up there as well fisherman guy? Or are you talking right at the outlet in the res

thanks all
Gary

Joel Massicotte
03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Anyone?

loopyalcsel
03-30-2010, 03:23 PM
If you were to look on google earth it shows pretty definitively where the river ends and the lake starts. If I were to go down there this time of year I would have to say from the footbridge upstream would be considered the elbow river and therefore would be closed until June 16th. Good luck.

BowhuntAB
03-30-2010, 03:33 PM
HUGE brown trout there. Just very smart and hard to catch. They are in a few places up there and every so often they make a mistake and grab large pike size streamers. You can go and check out a mounted one that is in Southbow Anglers. MASSIVE. Wellworth the effort.

Gary K
03-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Loopy I don't quite see the definitive edge you talk of. It seems the river still flows below the pedestrian bridge, I don't quite understand what you saying

Gary K
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you said it would be ok to fish downstream of the foot bridge. But looking at your post again it seems to say defobitly not ok up stream of the bridge. You said nothing of down stream of it. Which I think would still be elbow as well

Joel Massicotte
03-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Fish and Wildlife office numbers here in Calgary as it is a provincial regulation. The one office had no officers in it this morning and the other had no one answering the phone.

Their numbers are
403-297-8800 and 403-297-6423

Been calling for 2 days now... :(

BowhuntAB
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Fish and Wildlife office numbers here in Calgary as it is a provincial regulation. The one office had no officers in it this morning and the other had no one answering the phone.

Their numbers are
403-297-8800 and 403-297-6423

Been calling for 2 days now... :(

Theres a shocker! Seems all you ever get is the recording.