PDA

View Full Version : Northern Sask. Laker fishing

alpineguy
03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
My cousins and myself own a cabin on a fly-in lake in north central Saskatchewan. The lake holds pike and lakers and although we have been able to catch a reasonable amount of good sized pike, larger lakers are very rare. The lake is a fair size, 10 x 1.5 km and is tied into a 7 x .5 km second lake. The water is fairly clear in the main lake but the smaller one is more murky. Deepest spot is around 190 feet but probably averages 50-70 feet.
Any ideas as to what we are doing wrong or is it possible that very few larger lakers exist there?

Teamprotz
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
How are you fishing them ? Trolling , jigging with bait ? Are you using electronics to look for fish? Has there been any netting on the lake ? I could volunteer to help out.:wave:

alpineguy
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Mostly trolling with spoons of all sizes but have tried flatfish and rapalas. We have tried jigging with so so luck. The big trip is usually mid june and they are usually 10 - 30 ft. We are going on the first week this year. Numbers of fish is not a problem, just size. Yes we do use fishfinders quite a bit the last 3 years.

alpineguy
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh ya, the lake may have been netted 20 or more years ago but not sure.

nicemustang
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Do you fish right at or above the thermocline during the summer?

perchfinder
03-29-2010, 07:52 PM
not sure how to get the lunkers but a gold/silver pitted williams wobbler is a great hook for lakers

Commander B
03-30-2010, 12:49 AM
I have fished Complex lake out of buffalo narrows (same area possibly) Our best results were large lifts with a buzz bomb/zinger with a lot of line(mono) for the hook to seperate from baited/plastics hook. We even put small walleye spinner rig floats between the weight and the rubber stopper to try and get it to fall slower. Once u lift let it settle quickly and the drift of the boat to draw the two together. 2X on willing to show the method. Serriously I will pay my own way!!!!!!!!!!:D

alpineguy
03-30-2010, 06:09 AM
It would be a good idea to take some of you guys up some time and try all the different methods. Unfortunately we are restricted to how many boats we have (4 - 14') and on the June (BOYS) trip we already have 9 of us going. There is a slim chance my cousins will be tied up on the farm and can't make it but that would be real last minute. After that I am going back on June 30 but that is the family trip and there is usually 8 - 12 of us. Fall is bad because I have 3 weeks of pack/hunting trips planned.
But just to tease you, although there is a commercial outfitting license for the lake, it is not utilized, basically it is us and 1 other cabin which is also used only periodically by their friends and family as well.
Thanks for the info.
PS there are a few pics in my profile page album.

Bushmaster
03-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Is the lake on a river system ? Lots of those northern lakes that are, the fish move from lake to lake.

guidehunt
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
if you are fishing later in the season late july try jigging in 90to 100 feet water 2to3oz jigs and drift over deep holes work the whole water colem when jigging big ones tend to be near bottom .also try drifting over those holes with bottom bouncers and flatfish near bottom .if legal use trout belly on jigs .good luck .

skidderman
03-30-2010, 11:09 AM
How fast do you troll? I'm certainly no expert but found that a trolling speed of about 2.75 kms/hr sometimes even a bit faster is the optimum speed. As well try silver Canadian Wigglers. I have a freind who when nothing else works goes to the wigglers and has luck with that on Peerless.

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Still no word on thermocline. Do you have a good fish finder that you can see the thermocline? That is key to summer fishing. Find you where the thermocline is (usualy 40-50 feet) and use a down rigger or dipsy diver to get lure down there, then use a 4-8" spoon in a wabbler, five of diamonds, holographic baitfish or other spoon like that abuot 4-8 feet behind on flourocarbon. Anything that works for salmon works for lakers, even a big hockey stick flasher. Apex spinners work as well, or 4-6" floating raps in silver or gold.

Teamprotz
03-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Even just after iceout , we fish ATHAPAP near Flin Flon 85-125ft , on the bottom. We get several fish over 40 inches every year. Biggest was 45.5 inches. And numbers too. If you want small fish , stay shallow. You need to HUNT the big ones. I'll spend alot of time cruising an area looking for a big fish or two on bottom before anchoring and setting up a chum. Its Legal there , it brings fish in and keeps them in.

alpineguy
03-31-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys!

alpineguy
04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Teamprotz, do you ever catch bigger lakers shallow I've heard of guys catching them at surface at ice out. Come to think of it we do mark the odd fish deep in the spring though. Not using the best fishfinders just cheap portables. When you fish deep do you jig? May have to try and make room for you but I have to check with the rest of the crew. Thoughts?