PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Bowron Lakes in June, any ideas?

timsesink
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm canoeing the Bowron lakes this June and am slowly amassing trout and salmon gear. I've got the usual panther's, five of diamonds, mepps spinners. Is there any other tactics that would work out of a canoe I'm missing? As well has anyone fished in that area before, what have you found works? I would love any info as I'm usually a pike/walleye guy.

DarkAisling
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I've never fished there, but I did do the circuit in my mid-teens :) I'm planning to head out there again in the next few years. I look forward to reading about how your trip goes!

Kingfisher
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I've fished there I would take along a good selection of flies. You'll be paddling along in your canoe so make sure and get a Scotty rod holder to mount to the side of your canoe. That way you can have your hands free to paddle and fish at the same time. You said your a walleye fisherman so I can offer you some helpfull tips to catch trout there even with your spinning gear.

#1) I wouldn't use any larger than 12 lb test there. Yes there are some large fish in those lakes. But you'll catch more with lighter test. Also have some florocarbon leader material. I'd say get 2 spools one of 5 and one of 8lb. Tie a swivel onto your main line and run about 3 feet of florocarbon. Get RIO florocarbon. It's not cheap, but it's worth it. You'll only need 2 spools.

#2) Tie on your fly then about 18 inches of it put on 1 to 4 split shot depending on how deep you want to go. Really you won't need to go that deep. 2 will be plenty. I have dragged a Tom Thumb right on the surface with a dry fly line 40 feet back and caught lots of fish there.

#3) Maybe this should have been #1. WATCH OUT. Be damn aware of your surroundings. There is a ton of black bear, grizzlies and moose in that area. TONS. I mean it. I have not only fished that area but have hunted that area. I know what I'm talking about. Moose can be just as dangerous if you come across a cow with a calf give them lots of room.

#4) Bring good rain gear. It can rain up there really hard even in the heart of summer. Be prepaired for any weather.

#5) Mepps work out there as well as many lures. But you won't be trolling fast so you'll need a lure that has some action at lower speeds if your going to troll a lure.

That's all for now. There is a good book out there that you can get it's called Canoe Routes British Columbia. It's written by Richard Wright and Rochelle Wright. It has some detailed information on the portages that you'll have to go on in the route. I just looked on Amazon.ca and there are a few coppies of it on there. Looks like they are only $6.00 so not a bad deal to pick one up.

It is a beautiful part of the country. Enjoy your trip. Pack out whatever you pack in.

Enjoy your trip,
Cheers,
Rob

timsesink
03-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanx so much Rod. I appreciate the info. I'll be guiding all 9 of my inlaws so it should be quite the gong show. Would you recommend running the spoons while paddling along for lake trout along with flashers and such off of teh t swivel or just off of one main line? I'll definately watch my back as I've had a few encounters with bears. Thanx again for all the info.

timsesink
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I'll also post a full report here so guys planning to go can have some idea what to bring.

odoyle
06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd be interested to hear how your trip goes. Moving to PG this fall, and I'll be dammed if I'll live there and not canoe the circuit. Some other sweet circuits in the area too.

My friend is the senior Park Ranger there. He's a good dude. If you run into him, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to throw some advise your way.