PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Lake by Caroline

nicemustang
03-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Any reports on ice, has anyone checked it out for the opener? I guess I'll pack my spin rod just in case LOL.

So who is going opening day? I'm probably going opening day and Friday morning as well.

flygirrl
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Was down at Beaver the day before yesterday and they still had the gate locked. It does open on April 1st though. Still ice on it except where thhe airiater is. Cant spell that word Ha ha

Scotty P.
03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I'll probably be out on the weekend sometime but I have no idea on the ice. Hopfully it's melting faster than last year though.

flygirrl
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Will check it out on Friday

nicemustang
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I'd imagine with the lakes in the area still being good for ice (18-24") so i'm sure it will be good for a little while, at least around the edges. I'm going to go thursday morn (if I can get out of work :) ) as well as Friday and can post report.

kostianych
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
+1 for report...going there on Saturday :)

MountainTi
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Make sure to carry your new licences, I'm sure it will be watched closely:)

Scotty P.
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Any reports on ice, has anyone checked it out for the opener? I guess I'll pack my spin rod just in case LOL.

So who is going opening day? I'm probably going opening day and Friday morning as well.

Sorry if this is hi-jacking your thread nicemustang but would anyone be willing to give some suggestions as to what spinners, spoons or other lures besides flies, work at Beaver. I've never been able to get so much as a bit with the spin rod and I have thrown everything I can think of at them. I understand if no one what's to divulge secrets but any rough suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

camshaft
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Scotty...do u have a boat? Beaver is best fished in a float tube or small boat.

Anyways, I have done ok using a size 6 panther martin (gold with the black and red spots) as well as dragging a "zug bug" weighted down with split shot.

I have heard that slowly trolling flatfish is also productive. The key is a "very" slow troll so I hear.

Small red/white spoons and kamloopers will also work there.

Good luck

tigar
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I've been very interested in going to Beaver Lake.

is it posible to launch a boat there?

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Electric motors only, no real boat launch but room for a small boat to be lifted in.

kostianych
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
so, how was the opening day on the Beaver????

flygirrl
04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Was down to Beaver and they are ice fishing. Was told the bite was on from sunrise until 10 am and than shut down yesterday. Pretty slow this morning from what Im told. Ice is sketchy and wont last long. I would say you can launch a pontoon boat by next weekend if not sooner.

nicemustang
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
I was there today. Arrived 7:00 am fished until 10:30. Caught 1 45 cm rainbow. Used a medium spoon "machio minnow". There is 8-10" of ice but ther is only 3" of hard stuff on top (probably cause it was so cold last night) followed by 4" of soft stuff, then 2" of hard. Weird ice but it was ok.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/CIMG0814.jpg
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG00008-20100402-1038.jpg

ULTRAlite
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Good reports.... just me or were those bows pretty skinny?

kostianych
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
thanks for reports.......

tallieho
04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
any updates..please & thanks

flygirrl
04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
For those that want to haul their pontoon boat or belly boat across the field Beaver lake has enough water on it now to fish. Its still iced up all around but the aeriater is keeping a big portion of it open right to shore. May put mine in tomorrow if the day isnt to windy. Ha ha its Alberta

tallieho
04-11-2010, 01:02 PM
update on any ice on the lake thanks

barbless
04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks to all for spreading the word over the last couple of years about our neighborhood pond which is directly behind our south yard. Can't even walk there without bumping into trucks and cars anymore. Just try to keep the noise down so we can still sleep.

nicemustang
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks to all for spreading the word over the last couple of years about our neighborhood pond which is directly behind our south yard. Can't even walk there without bumping into trucks and cars anymore. Just try to keep the noise down so we can still sleep.

What??? Really...A public lake that is part of a province wide study that has been in many magazines, articles and F&W case studies. Special closures to promote trophy fish possibilities. I guess you think this forum destroyed the lake and nothing else caused it. Boo hoo.:tongue2: Get a grip. Don't fish on police outpost or bullshead either, have to keep them secret!!!!!:evilgrin:

barbless
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Guess that's two less trophies in your picks. Nice colors though. Yes it has been in magazines and had studies but if some of the bragging would have been kept to a dull roar, we could still be pulling 5lb.rs from there. Myself and others that I fish with do not keep the fish from Beaver we leave them for others to have some fun. But I guess like most lakes in Alberta let's keep the pressure on. You do what you do and I do what I do. Not trying to start any wars. I do keep some fish from certain spots.

nicemustang
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
IMO there isn't enough food in the lake to support the fish that are in there now, they are long and skinny. And yes I did keep the ONE fish, big deal. Its was good Friday and you can't eat meat and I was providing for my family meal. I know you're not preaching nor do I have to justify myself, but you were the one that mentioned it so clearly you have a problem with it. There is many a beaver lake thread on this site and others, way more on flyfishcalgary. But then again, people who fly fish are saints and don't hurt the fisheries I guess.

Uncle John
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM

Hmmm, interesting comment. See, I have been fishing in Beaver lake for some time too, befor they put in the dam, and it was full of perch, and befor someone stuck in the perch we would go pull out a couple trout after school. It was quiet and pristine, what a great spot to have in "our" back yard. That was befor you moved in on your acreage and then we started bumpen into you!!!

Anyhow, I say good luck to anyone who goes there, enjoy!

barbless
04-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Years ago when they stocked this lake they only put in half the amount they actually wanted to put in (don't know exact amount) and added some feed not knowing how much natural feed there was. Apparently there was lots. These fish in about three to four years grew to unbelievable size. What you caught there on GOOD FRIDAY is well below the size they grew to. These things looked like footballs. About 18" long and all of 5lbs. Reminds me of what happened to the trout at Crawling Valley. As far as fly guys(gals) go I don't even want to get started on them. They are NOT the ANGELS everyone thinks they are. Ya maybe I'm ranting but give it a couple of more years and if it don't get stocked on a regular basis it will not be even worth the drive anymore. Just look at the pressure Burnstick has had over the years.

sheepguide
04-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Funny how some people just move in and act like nobody should be their area.
I like some have fished beaver lake my whole life and like uncle john fished it way before you lived near it. It is a public lake and should be shared by the"Public" if you want your own private fishery then dig a hole add water and go buy a gold fish.

luckyme
04-13-2010, 01:01 AM
where is beaver lake by the way?:confused: is it listed in unit pp1?

S.A.S
04-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Ice updates?

mustard73
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

So is the ice off the lake or what?

tallieho
04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
it's still there ...boat lanch area still:mad: frose right up to the shoreline..open water where the aerators are,is opening up..Fiesta still frozen as is birch

S.A.S
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
it's still there ...boat lanch area still:mad: frose right up to the shoreline..open water where the aerators are,is opening up..Fiesta still frozen as is birch

Boulderdash! I assume Phylis is still frozen then. I got the pontoon boat ready to go and the Ol' mans fishing Kayak should be here tomorrow. We wanted to go to Phylis lake to shake off the rust and get him used to the Kayak before we hit the bow. Are we allowed to go on Glenmore res?

.millartime.
04-20-2010, 03:44 AM
im away at work up north and was planning on checkin beaver out when i get home on sunday, ive heard its been pretty warm there the last fews days. im planning on using my belly boat or am i just wasting my time. ice updates?

jts1
04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Was there Sunday with some members of the forum. Lots of open water. I had my pontoon with the eletric motor on it. 20-22 inch fish being pulled out. See thread
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=57544

tallieho
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
can a boat be put in ..boat launch area is it free of ice..thanks

tonyflyfish
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
boat launch just about totally free of ice but there is other access to the east a little. Two guys dragged a 14 ft aluminum in. I would be surprised if the boat launch isn't free by now-it was very slushy on Sunday.

alpineguy
04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Drove in today and it was dry at the boat launch and the ice was gone.

mattoon90
04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I was at beaver lake this last friday and the ice is off of it and the fishing was amazing i went with a buddy and we pulled in 7 and one really nice one i would say about 20-22"

.millartime.
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
checked out beaver on sunday. the weather was crap windy and snowy, but fishing was good, i caught one and my buddy caught 6. average weight around 2 lbs!

mustard73
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Any hints on what to use? I plan to troll around tomorrow and maybe fly fish a bit too.

flygirrl
04-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Egg sucking leach, wooly buggars in olive or black.

WayneChristie
04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I thought this lake was only for women fisherpeople, hence the name

roachman
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Any hints on what to use? I plan to troll around tomorrow and maybe fly fish a bit too.

just ask stp and enzo if their schedule is free!!! :evilgrin: sorry guys ... just had to do it!!!!! :innocent:

.millartime.
05-01-2010, 01:21 AM
all we used was red or green leach paterns way down deep and had good luck. 7 fish in 2 hours!

bullpike
05-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Are you allowed gas engines or is this an electric motor only lake. Thanks in advance. Bull

BuckMaster101
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Look in the REGS, some poeple really have a hard time with this. Might be a good idea to do a little research on your own.:snapoutofit:

mustard73
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Are you allowed gas engines or is this an electric motor only lake. Thanks in advance. Bull

Electric only

bullpike
05-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry Buckmaster101, I looked in the regs and could not find it. Could you point out in the regs where it shows the electric motor only lakes. That would be appreciated. Didn't mean to offend anyone!

flygirrl
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Look in the REGS, some poeple really have a hard time with this. Might be a good idea to do a little research on your own.:snapoutofit:
:test:Hummm would like to know what page that is on too, if its not to much trouble

badger
05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56234

It is a Federal regulation, not a sport fishing thing. BC is nice enough to put their boating restrictions in the Sport Fishing Regulations.

There is a reference in the Alberta regs as follows:
Vessel Restrictions
There are a variety of vessel restrictions in effect in Alberta that are
administered by Transport Canada. For more information, please consult
the federal Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations online at:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2008-120/