PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Lake Sask

horton213
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any info on fishing in Turtle Lake? I will be going there soon.. what type of fish are there? what lures are best ? any info would be great guys.. (im a beginner)

Chris

braxxtonn
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
the walleye, jack , perch , burbots and whites i think lol
when evr i went there it was strictly walleye fishing theres some nice jacks in there too!!
i like to jig a white double tail with a leech, seems to alwasy work good there

timsesink
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
The last time I was there it was really sloooooooooooooooooooooooow. You can't go wrong in the spring with some topwater baits in the south facing bays though like anywhere else in spring. Best of uck

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
i like to jig a white double tail with a leech, seems to alwasy work good there

That works anywhere, universal walleye rig.

Lots of walleye I hear on this lake, although never been myself. Seen many a people with pictures of 10-12 lb eyes.

jeffrey929
03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Been there quite a few times in the last year and have yet to catch a Walleye... Lake is huge!!! Caught a few nice Pike however...

notagoodtroutfisher
03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
I grew up fishin this lake. Head to Indian Point (rock point on south side) for late mrning walleye.
Then fish the reeds near turtle lodge for pike in the late afternoon

horton213
03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
sounds like a plan.. what do you use??

notagoodtroutfisher
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
we always used 3-4" yellow jig, with a small piece of deer heart/beef heart. you can get the beef hearts at grocery stores. Or a piece of smelt would work too.

benamen
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Been years since I fished that lake. Biggest walleye I have gotten out of that lake was a 30 incher. I had most luck drifting with a jig or spinner with a worm or leech. I fished very slowly with ultra slow retrieves if casting. A lot of times you do better not jigging (****** fishing). Caught lots of walleyes middle of the day, early July, 12 to 15 ft of water. Indian Point was my favorite spot.

perchfinder
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM
wow.. thats helpful info to me too as i go visit the in-laws there a few times a year. i never caught a walleye there in the past 3 years since i've been going. tried indian point and only got a few burbs through the ice. summer fishing always got a few hammer handles further south. lots of fishing pressure on that lake. thanks guys for the info- much appreciated. any luck on the perch ever in summer?

horton213
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
what is a burb??

braxxtonn
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
A meriah^^

perchfinder
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
burbot a.k.a. catfish

perchfinder
04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Anyone have any info on fishing in Turtle Lake? I will be going there soon.. what type of fish are there? what lures are best ? any info would be great guys.. (im a beginner)

Chris

for the pike just troll or cast a medium size spoon of any color in 5 to 15 feet of water

kenh
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM
wow.. thats helpful info to me too as i go visit the in-laws there a few times a year. i never caught a walleye there in the past 3 years since i've been going. tried indian point and only got a few burbs through the ice. summer fishing always got a few hammer handles further south. lots of fishing pressure on that lake. thanks guys for the info- much appreciated. any luck on the perch ever in summer?

the perch that are in there are all very small haven't seen one over 4 inchs

perchfinder
04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
thanks kenh, the kind of luck i have out there i'd be better off to stay on shore and enjoy a few cool ones!

chad66
04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Chris

I was there two summers ago, we rented a cabin. It is a very busy place. Rented a boat and had a few hits, but landed nothing. The tornado was the highlight of our adventure:)

gunner72
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Was there a couple summers ago and had good luck. White jigs and leaches for jigin and also did some trolling with some white rapalas for walleye. The guys in the store that look after the cabins have hydro maps and they were very helpfull with tips, good guys for sure. I had the best luck north of the lodge in about 20 feet whitch is a long way from shore in that area. They had some huge crank baits in the store that look like a ten inch long pike and i saw a guy trolling with one. He showed me the pike he caught a few minutes before that and it was close to 20lbs! They were trolling close to where i was jiging in that 18-20'. That was mid July though so I imagine this time of year they would be shallow.

horton213
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
cant wait.. im going for July long.. should be good.. although i heard the lodge is now shut down.. so have to bring everything with..

powder burner
06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Is there a campground on turtle lake? which side of the lake is it on?

horton213
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
there used to be one by the lodge (east side) but i think it all shut down this year...