PDA

View Full Version : any one no good small stream fishing

bigfis
03-30-2010, 02:25 PM
dos any one no a good trout stream within a hour of calgary I just got a new fly reel and I whant to try it out most of the placis are still closed .

BowhuntAB
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM
dos any one no a good trout stream within a hour of calgary I just got a new fly reel and I whant to try it out most of the placis are still closed .

Go to the Bow? Doesnt get much better. Or you could drive 1.5 hours to the Crow.

mooseknuckle
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Stream X has been pretty hot lately:evilgrin:

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
1. Welcome to the board.
2. That's some interesting spelling you got there.
3. You live in Calgary and the best trout river runs through it. (BOW)
4. Read the regs, find out what sections are open, and go out. Lots of places to fish.

DarkAisling
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Stream X has been pretty hot lately:evilgrin:

:lol: Oh, that is so not fair! He's brand new to the forum and hasn't figured out the inside jokes yet. :lol:

I would recommend the Bow for a quick first trip with your new setup :)

Guitarplayingfish
03-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I've been fishing the crowsnest lately, today I pulled out a beautiful 2-2.5lb rainbow and a nice whitefish. Have yet to try the bow this year.

selanne88
03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Doesent the crowsnest open June 16th like all the other trout streams of the eastern slopes.

Gary K
03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I think there is a section of the crow around blairmore open right now. Knowing my knowledge of the regs I'm wrong though ;)

slingshotz
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM

If you head down to Glenmore bridge and walk downstream on the Bow it will fork on a big island. Keep following the right fork and head down past the straight bit of water, there's fish there but not a lot. Where it bends at the road is a good starting point to fish the Bow like you would a little stream. You can also cross the "stream" to get to the island and fish from it too.

Canuck44
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Floated the bow on sunday and only caught whitefish, no trout to be seen. You can try the dogpound for a smaller stream that opens early (I have never caught anything in it though) or maybe the little red deer by water valley, I have had better luck on it (both open april 1 I think). I would expect anything this time of year to be pretty slow.

lannie
03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
The crowsnest is open between the east hillcrest bridge and lundbreck falls.
C&R for trout, 5 whitefish over 30cm. East hillcrest bridge-turn south 1 km. west of leitch colleries. When you hit the river try to stay on the south side of river until you are 1 km downstream. Couple of unreasonables in the vicinity.

jrs
03-30-2010, 09:53 PM
If you're fishing streams with rainbows and cutties in the next couple months just try to avoid gravel areas. Spawning will be happening down south very soon and stepping on a redd can kill the majority of the eggs. If you don't know what a redd looks like, google it or just try not to walk near gravel areas. If we want year round trout fishing opportunities to continue we have to be careful. The brookies and browns will be hatched out already so you don't have to worry if you pick a stream that has only those species. Good luck.

HerdBull
03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Da bow iss da bes trout fisin I no of enywhere in alberta. Iss god four triin out a nu real I think.

lannie
03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
The Cutts and rainbows i have seen spawning start at the very earliest- end of may and up to the end of june. Just what i observe. The ones in the high lakes going into streams i think are the last.