PDA

View Full Version : How to attract fish to an area

Artist
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever come accros any ideas for attracting fish (legally) to a particular area?
Examples:
1) A particular sound?
2) Food in the water?

I ice-fished fished a particular area this for Lake Whitefish. At the beginning of the season, there seemed to be larger numbers of fish in the area. Now, towards the end of the season, that same area was like a ghost-town. What makes fish hang around a particular area?

:)

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Spawing ground. They don't stay in the same area because they spawn in another. Whitefish typically look to where the burbs spawn and eat the eggs, that's why the move.

Oxygen levels have something to do with it too.

Have you ever tried putting a bunch of egg shells down the hole? Amazing.

Artist
03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Egg shells? Never heard of it. Sounds interesting. Do the whitefish actually eat the shells? What do you do, save shells throughout the year, crush them up and dump them in your favorite area?

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll have to remember that for next year!:)

roachman
03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Spawing ground. They don't stay in the same area because they spawn in another. Whitefish typically look to where the burbs spawn and eat the eggs, that's why the move.

Oxygen levels have something to do with it too.

Have you ever tried putting a bunch of egg shells down the hole? Amazing.

For as long as I can remember my grandmother used to have an ice cream pail by the kitchen sink and saved all her egg shells. They would dry naturally and then she would crush them. Down the hole they went. Not only did they give you visability and the chance to determine how clear and deep the water was ... the fish surely were curious. It seemed to bring them in every time.

WayneChristie
03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Id check with the fish cops, because Im pretty sure that would be considered littering nowadays. But what do I know I think the government should post a sign to warn people about poison fish too :evilgrin:

Artist
03-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Yea - good point about littering. I certainly wouldn't want to be unloading pails full of garbage into a lake just to see if the fish will come!

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Used to use it to light up the hole, fish come to check it out. Not sure if that would be legal or not these days in this province.

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Yep, regulations don't cover egg shells.

STP
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM

you will have to call and see what you can dump down the hole

nicemustang
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Personally don't think its any different that leaving your apple core on the lake.

Beazer
03-31-2010, 12:09 AM
It's not litter if it's considered bio-degradable FYI.

bisonhunter
03-31-2010, 02:32 AM
i read elsewhere that a cup of cooked rice will bring the whites in and hold them there, but you need to wait a couple of days before fishing. never tried it myself.

deanmc
03-31-2010, 04:18 AM
i read elsewhere that a cup of cooked rice will bring the whites in and hold them there, but you need to wait a couple of days before fishing. never tried it myself.

Would this not be considered chumming?
LMAO

Paper and lumber are both bio-degradable aren't they? And so is,human waste, manure, sewage, slaughterhouse waste,old food.....................

huntsfurfish
03-31-2010, 05:04 AM
"Would this not be considered chumming?"

Very likely, it is an edible food source.

"It's not litter if it's considered bio-degradable FYI"

? of course it could be considered littering.

Fishfinder
03-31-2010, 06:03 AM
"Would this not be considered chumming?"

Very likely, it is an edible food source.

"It's not litter if it's considered bio-degradable FYI"

? of course it could be considered littering.

Yes, I question the legality of this as well, though it sounds like a neat idea. Yes, it would be littering (even though not biodegradable). Imagine if everbody did this.
Cheers.:)

dragon
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Would this not be considered chumming?

LMAO

Paper and lumber are both bio-degradable aren't they? And so is,human waste, manure, sewage, slaughterhouse waste,old food.....................

Paper is biodegrable, it's the bleach, dyes and inks that are the concern. Lumber is biodegrable however considered a building supply and would get you in trouble.

There are specific laws regarding human waste, sewage, and animal waste. I.E. urinating in public

Slaughter house waste would be considered a business and would be covered under that. In addition they sell this "waste" to make things like cosmetics, medicine, vitamin supplements, etc. so it would be liek throwing away good money.

I also believe that leaving an apple core on the lake is not a good idea either. It may be ok for the fish but it also attracts animals too. Skunks love apples! and don't think they won't wonder out there when your all silent in your tent for a free meal!

In otherwords it's all littering, even the apple core!

dragon
03-31-2010, 10:11 AM

our laws do though and we are suppose to know them too.

DarkAisling
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm also quite sure that rice would be considered chumming.

I might try the egg shells next winter. While they could be considered litter, they could also be considered compost :) The calcium nitrate would be good little nutritional boost for the waterbody after decomposition, and it would also be good for the fishies' bones. (There's my defense right there, if I should ever require one).

I would argue that only organic eggshells should be used, to reduce the possibility of adding toxic chemicals to the lake.

Fishfinder
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM

Wrong u r me friend.

BowhuntAB
03-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Egg shells and rice are considered chumming. I watched a guy get charged at Badger for shelling a hole.

DarkAisling
03-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Egg shells and rice are considered chumming. I watched a guy get charged at Badger for shelling a hole.

Wow! Even though eggshells aren't consumed by fish they're still considered chumming? Good to know.

tacklerunner
03-31-2010, 04:09 PM

Rice is obviously but eggshells? That good info to know. However, the next CO might just come along and chuckle. Interpretation and actual practice are everything when it comes to the law.

BowhuntAB
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Rice is obviously but eggshells? That good info to know. However, the next CO might just come along and chuckle. Interpretation and actual practice are everything when it comes to the law.

I agree totally! The next F&W may not do a thing! This one, however did.

huntsfurfish
04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I gotta ask this question about egg shells.

Has no one seen a fish eat them? Have there been any studies on the subject? What effect does it have on other species? What impact does it have on the lake?

OK it was more than one question:).

Ooops, forgot the most important one.

Is it neccessary to use them?

DarkAisling
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I just emailed SRD to find out if there is a policy that relates to the use of eggshells while ice fishing.

Of course using them isn't necessary. The use of my fish tv isn't necessary, either. I don't personally gauge my behaviour on what is necessary, but rather on what is legal (or not) and what my own personal ethics dictate.

Well, that and the "fun factor."

Gary K
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I just emailed SRD to find out if there is a policy that relates to the use of eggshells while ice fishing.

Of course using them isn't necessary. The use of my fish tv isn't necessary, either. I don't personally gauge my behaviour on what is necessary, but rather on what is legal (or not) and what my own personal ethics dictate.

Well, that and the "fun factor."

I'm very interested in your response to that email!!!

WayneChristie
04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I have found that loud swearing works to draw in reluctant pike. Maybe its just to see the fool yelling at fish, but hey whatever works :) Proved it a few times since last summer. :) best not to do this in the vicinity of small children tho, pike will eat anything that moves.

huntsfurfish
04-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Actually after rereading my post " Is it neccessary to use them?" is the least important question.

The important questions are:
What effect does it have on fish? What effect does it have on other species(not fish)? And last but not least what impact does it have on the lake/reservoir?

Regardless what the law is or ones ethics. One should consider those questions.

S.A.S
04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Im gonna start off by saying I am not sure if this was legal or not. But when I went to my uncles cabin on winnipeg river I was fishing off the dock, And there was 2 containers of ****ty minnows there. So I dropped a jig off the deck, poured both containers of minnows in and left to go to the store, when I came back 10-15 min later the rod was damn near bent in half and there was a nice size pike on there. When I started reeling him in he jumped and snapped the line. He was no monster pike Id say 10-12 lbs maybe a bit bigger, he just jumped and the tension broke the line. So ya, really smelly **** tends to attract fish. On the red river we use rotten chicken livers to get catfish, I dunno would that would attract here if you dropped it in a hole.

nicemustang
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
The point about the egg shells might be missed. They are used to lure fish because of smell or the fish don't eat them or anything like that. They just really reflect light. It really lights up the hole and the whole area around for what ever reason. I've seen old school guys do this in sask all the time, never tried it myself and I agree it can be good for the ecosystem.