PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake Report

Penner
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Had a good couple of days out on Cold this past weekend. Caught and released a dozen trout largest being 19lbs. Ice is starting to soften up along the shoreline but was very solid a few 100 feet out. Too bad she's closing up for the season.

The first thing I'm concerned about is how hard that lake is getting hit. Something will need to be done soon to limit the amount of trout being taken out of that lake. There is now way Cold Lake will be able to sustain the type of pressure it saw this year.

The other thing I’m concerned about is the Aboriginal nets being set in that lake. I saw 8 different nets in 6 separate locations on the lake, 2 of those nets set-up right out front of the mouth of the Martineau River. Some of these nets being a few hundred yards long. I cannot comprehend how one ethnic group is given special rights and allowed to do what ever they want where the rest of us have to follow strict regulations. Everyone should be marching to the same tune. It just ain't right!

Teamprotz
03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
If the Alberta govt got with the rest of the world - release the large spawning fish and keep the small ones !

skidderman
03-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I wish I knew your secret. Between last year and this year I fished 6 days through the ice and never pulled one up. Certainly no pressure on the fish from me. Pretty much ready to give it up. I can catch them in the summer but through the ice I might as well wash my hooks at the carwash. Not sure the size of fish I was seeing on my fishfinder last summer but my finder was covered with fish. I don't think the population is low at all, sorry to disagree but with all of the bait, the size of the lake and yes a few have success but with a one fish limit I just don't think it will be hurt. If we keep pushing for zero limit pretty soon we might as well sell our boats and all of our equipment. Fishing for catch and release only is not for me.

gramps73
03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I fished cold this year for the first time and never thought it was hit that hard at all. For a lke that size in 3 days of fishing I maybe saw 50 different fisherman.. The netting is a whole other issue...
g

splake0
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I disagree with Penner. Ive ice fished Cold Lake for years and don't believe the ice fishermen are hurting the lake at all.

As for the Aboriginal nets being set, that is their right under the British North American Act. Nothing anyone can do about it as long as the Sun shines; rivers flow and grass grows.

noslack
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
As for the Aboriginal nets being set, that is their right under the British North American Act. Nothing anyone can do about it as long as the Sun shines; rivers flow and grass grows.

I couldn't agree with you more. there aint a thing that can be done about that.

Before "white man" came, that's what they were doing. We take them off their land, put them into the "white man's " world, forced them in to schools and pushed religious beliefs on them.... And people are complaining about "them" ruining our fisheries. They've been doing it that way long before we showed up.

They have ( for the most part) a much greater appreciation for Nature then most of us.

Coltye
04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I understand that we can't do nothing about "them" netting,The 1 question that i have is are they allowed to SELL the fish they net?

kreator
04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't understand how we can justify netting on lakes where there are seasonal closures, bait bans, 0 limits on species, or any other measures that are put in the place to protect the fish. This seems so backwards to me. I have a tendency to harp on Touchwood, but I honestly don't get how I cannot keep a Walleye for supper, but 2 guys in a row boat can catch 30 kg of Walleye in a single outing?

Anybody know how big of an industry commerical fishing is in Alberta?

splake0
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Well if a treaty Indian wants to catch 3 Walleye in Alberta on a one walleye limit lake under their treaty rights they have to set a net. They cannot use a rod and reel or they are considered sport fishing. So they set their nets and catch 50 walleye (but they only wanded 3). That's Alberta.

unclebuck
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
noslack, perhaps you should go back to your family's country of origin!!! Your comments make very little sense, in that in all other countries, the conquerors are boss. We have given more rights to our indigenous population and the conquered french (remember Wolfe & montcalm), than any other nation would. This has been more of a "dog & pony show" than any other country would put up with, especially with tax money to support both causes. Enough said>

Penner
04-03-2010, 08:34 AM
From my perspective a lake can only take so much. I’ve fished Cold Lake many times this winter and over past years and I do not see how the good Laker population is going to continue for much longer. It’s the only Lake in Alberta with Lakers in it outside of Grist Lake in that is not in Northern Alberta or along the eastern slopes. Cold Lake is getting all of the focus and it is too much in my mind. The pressure has increased significantly.

Although the Laker population today is probably still in decent shape, it will not take much longer before its toast in my opinion. SRD’s past track record will show you that they only address a problem after it has happened (Reactive verse Proactive).

We have a true trophy fishery on our hands and I think a strict slot limit would benefit this lake and its slow growing Lakers. Slot size of 24” to 27” our something along those lines. Besides a Lakers over 10lbs is not the best table fair to begin with. They get pretty fatty and oily over that size but they make for a really good battle and for one heck of a photo.

splake0
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Penner, although I believe the lake trout are not in trouble at all in Cold Lake I do agree with allowing smaller versus larger trout for keepers. Most sportsmen would rather keep a smaller trout for the table. But with that being said fishermen should not keep fishing after there quota is met. For those who keep catching and releasing trout for the sport are probably doing more harm than good. Most of the released trout will probably die anyway.

Just my opinion

Fishfull Thinker..
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Touchwood lake is one of my favorite lakes to fish,Does netting happen often there?And is their no limit to this netting?

Penner
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Penner, although I believe the lake trout are not in trouble at all in Cold Lake I do agree with allowing smaller versus larger trout for keepers. Most sportsmen would rather keep a smaller trout for the table. But with that being said fishermen should not keep fishing after there quota is met. For those who keep catching and releasing trout for the sport are probably doing more harm than good. Most of the released trout will probably die anyway.

Just my opinion

I guess we can agree to disagree on the current Laker population. If proper handling and burping techniques are utilized there is no reason why Lakers being caught and then released shouldn’t survive.

Touchwood lake is one of my favorite lakes to fish,Does netting happen often there?And is their no limit to this netting?

My understanding is that Aboriginals may place nets anywhere at anytime and keep as much as they like regardless of the classification of the body of water (stable, vulnerable, collapsed) for substance needs. I’m not clear wither they are able to sell the fish.

All though I haven't fished Touchwood in a number of years, I did hear of Aboriginal netting taking place on Touchwood a few years ago. It’s only what heard so I cannot validate if it was true or a only rumor.