PDA

View Full Version : Leave those Stinking Burbot to Rot !!!

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow, found this law today. I believe this law is still active, couldn't find a notice of it being ammended or repealed. I hope I'm wrong, if not, it's Time to have this law changed!

It is legal to catch your limit of these sportfish and throw them away to rot.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=1997_203.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779745258

Game fish
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,
(b) fish caught or held under the authority of a research
licence unless specified otherwise in conditions attached
to the licence,
(c) the disposal of fish at the direction of a fishery officer,
(d) fish that undergo taxidermy, and
(e) fish kept under a fish culture licence.

jpietrzak1979
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
There is nothing to that effect in the printed version of the regs.

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 04:56 PM
There is nothing to that effect in the printed version of the regs.

You are right, but the regs. are just a summary of the law, that is why there is a disclaimer included within it. The link posted is an actual legal document,

FISHERIES (ALBERTA) ACT
GENERAL FISHERIES (ALBERTA) REGULATION
Alberta Regulation 203/1997
With amendments up to and including Alberta Regulation 288/2009

As I said, I could be wrong, but this act is updated through 2009.

AxeMan
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow, crazy. Good find WB. Fish and Game should be all over that one.

WayneChristie
03-31-2010, 05:21 PM
well for all of you about to toss your burbs, I will be happy to take them off your hands :D Just fillet, freeze and ship by courier.

greylynx
03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
By golly, it is even warm enough to take the deep fryer outside.

Those easterners think they have a monopoly on cod. he he he:D

jacenbeers
03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I want to catch a burbot so bad. It is one of the few Alberta species that has alluded me.

moosehunter3-0
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Lots of them were left whole on the ice at gull this year. One day this little kid was playing soccer with a live one.

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Lots of them were left whole on the ice at gull this year. One day this little kid was playing soccer with a live one.

And according to the law, legally discarded and booted!

So, if I'm correct that this law is valid, a person could catch and throw away every Burbot they caught, high grading (culling), while keeping the legal posession limit for that water body.

The retention of a sport fish is defined as "legally kept". If you don't keep it, it is not in your possession, therefore not applied towards your limit. And since it is legal to discard burbot........

Am I alone in thinking that this law should be changed? Tie up a legal loophole. A lot of views to the thread, and not many comments?

Cody
03-31-2010, 07:38 PM
I suppose ther was no reasonto bother changing something that nobody cared about eh?
Didn't care enough to bother checking.

Nice catch WB.

If one were to care enough to begin changing things what would one do?

DuckBrat
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Wow that is a talented fish.

But I'll assume the burbot was the ball so at this point I would have started playing soccer... with the kid substituting for the ball. GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

moosehunter3-0
03-31-2010, 07:52 PM
I think a simple time out would have sufficed :lol:

fish on
03-31-2010, 08:38 PM
X2 i will leave them in my guts to rot

well for all of you about to toss your burbs, I will be happy to take them off your hands :D Just fillet, freeze and ship by courier.

jono88
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
If this is a legitimate regulation it contradicts its self in the sense that in the regulations everyone has access to today state that no game fish shall be wasted or left to rot. Now the fact that Burbot is considered a game fish that would mean that letting one of these fish go to waste would probably land you a fine. I just go by what the regulations in my book say and save my self the trouble of arguing semantics or legal loopholes with an eager fish and wild life officer trying to meet his quota. Very interesting though.

WildCats
03-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Walking Buffalo is correct, i spoke to a Officer in Slave Lake yesterday for this same reason. I'll start a different post along with pictures:sick:.

jpietrzak1979
03-31-2010, 09:46 PM

I can beat that, lol i'll clean fillet and pick em up.

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Walking Buffalo is correct, i spoke to a Officer in Slave Lake yesterday for this same reason. I'll start a different post along with pictures:sick:.

Thanks WildCats, Looking forward to the pics, and hopefully you can post up some details of your discussion.

I would expect that with a little effort, email, letters, etc., that SRD would be willing to request parliament to amend the law. I can't imagine that there is any rational behind SRD promoting the practice of wasting any gamefish.

Wow that is a talented fish.

But I'll assume the burbot was the ball so at this point I would have started playing soccer... with the kid substituting for the ball. GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

DuckBrat, good catch!:lol:

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 09:58 PM

C.O.D. courier OK? I'll be sure to fillet them first before sending what is left.:wave:

walking buffalo
04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Please go to this thread to see what this law allows.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56280

Send in those letters if you want to help stop the waste of our gamefish.