PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Mentoring...

CanadianEh
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
As a seasoned spin fisherman this is kind of embarassing to admit, but I am looking to begin my path in Fly Fishing! :ashamed:

Just curious if there might be some Kind AOF member who would consider a position as a mentor/ buddy to fish with to show me the ropes on the big bad bow river. Listened to lots of people, watch lots of youtube... but getting out there with someone who knows is the idea here...

DarkAisling
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Hmm. No responses? I hope you got some PMs :)

I'd say "tag along with us," (us being #1 son and I) but this going to our first flyfishing season too . . . and I don't know the Bow.

jts1
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I am not the best fly guy on the planet , but have been know to sling a rod and pull in a fish or two. :cool: I would be glad to get out on the Bow with you. I tend to go up around Gap lake and fish toward Canmore. Far less pressure on the fish and some great spots along there

CanadianEh
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank for the posts guys & gals, I much appreciate the offers! I have had 1 or 2 tips and offers through PMS aswell... Can always count on the AOF members to lend a hand..

Hey Aisling, I talked to Brad at PierowayRods and am meeting with him next week to try out a few of their setups... I read in a different post you got a rod from them aswell. any reviews on it thus far? Have you caught anything out of that big bad bow yet?

I live way deep south Calgary.. most likely fishing from douglasdale bridge south to policemans flats. I believe the river is now closed above the weir isn't it?

Joel Massicotte
04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Yup. Closed for April.

I wouldn't recommend starting out fly fishing on the Bow. Its challenging at the best of times and unforgiving all the time. Great fishing though. I'd recommend Gap lake for sure. Chester Lake for some really dumb cutthroats. (Last summer is saw one eat a cigarette butt, and 5 attacked the strike indicator with agression!)

If you want good practice head out to Waiprous. A million little pockets. Fun for learning to read a river and stock the fish. Small stuff, but great for learning.

DarkAisling
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey Aisling, I talked to Brad at PierowayRods and am meeting with him next week to try out a few of their setups... I read in a different post you got a rod from them aswell. any reviews on it thus far? Have you caught anything out of that big bad bow yet?

I've got two Pieroway rods (and one Pieroway reel). One of them was a demo that didn't actually go into production, as it is a 3-peice. The other one is a production rod.

The demo rod is a 3pc 8.5' 5wt. The closest blank to that is the 864-5B, I think. I've done quite a bit of casting with this one, it is a great rod :) Anita Wolf (the founder of the now defunct "Reel Hookers Club") tried the rod out when she was teaching me how to cast, and she was very impressed with it. That one isn't a Bow rod, but it'll be a great stream/creek rod. It is paired with a Fenwick DCC56 reel.

I also have a 4pc. 11.5' 6wt switch rod (E1166), and that one is going to be a killer Bow rod :D It is a beauty. I haven't played with this one much, as I want to learn how to spey cast before I use it. I suffered an injury last summer, and my physiotherapist suggested I use a switch rod so I'll have more casting options. That rod is paired with a Pieroway 7/8 reel, to make sure that there is room for plenty of backing. I would certainly look at the E1166 if you're planning to get some serious Bow time in :)

CanadianEh
04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I am interested to see what pieroway has to offer.. they look like nice rods. although there is a damn good deal I can get on a SAGE launch from the states 4pc 9' 6wt rod for $140

I also have been recently looking into building my own rods form the ground up. not sure i would start with a fly rod, but it looks very interesting.