PDA

View Full Version : Perfectly Legal To Waste Burbot

WildCats
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Found this at Slave Lake yesterday on the point at Assineau. There was several nets set and this was the scene at each one of them. I wrote down the numbers and took photos and called Fish and Wildlife later in the day. Apparently Burbot are "not" gamefish and can be wasted. Commercial fishing is going on slave till mid April and this is occuring every day. There is no market for Burbot so Commercial fisherman are not obligated to salvage them. Here's where it gets interesting; although they are not classed as a gamefish, quota's are still in place. We'll use Pigeon Lake for an example. You, me and everybody else can go out and kill the limit for burbot on Pigeon which is ten fish ( "0" retention after Feb.1 I might add ). You can take them home or leave them on the ice, but don't kill more than the quota!!! We figured there was roughly 500 plus Burbot laying on the ice.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/Wildcatsphotos80/P1050115.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/Wildcatsphotos80/P1050116.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/Wildcatsphotos80/P1050117.jpg

kostianych
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
holly cow...this has to be stopped....

why burbot is not a gamefish? it`s in the Regs and has limit to keep...

please let us know what was the F&W's answer....

Rockymtnx
03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
WOW! What a waste.
That is just wrong. :mad:

Looks like it's time for the AO members to get on the phone, write a few letters and emails.

How the h3ll can recreational fisherman have limits, and seasons on burbot but yet this is allowed to happen.

WildCats
03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
There's a couple of spots in that area with alot of rock which makes it a good spawning area. We stopped there on the way home to pick up a few Burbot for the freezer and came across this. I was so disgusted we packed up and headed home.

ericlin0122
03-31-2010, 11:09 PM
wt???????????????????

baitfisher83
03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I just cant believe the crap "commercial fishermen" are allowed to get away with these days....just because they don't want burbot it doesnt mean anglers dont. Personally i'd rather keep a few burbs over a pike or two....Thats gotta be the most disgutsing display i've ever seen.

3Dshooter
03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
I just cant believe the crap "commercial fishermen" are allowed to get away with these days....just because they don't want burbot it doesnt mean anglers dont. Personally i'd rather keep a few burbs over a pike or two....Thats gotta be the most disgutsing display i've ever seen.

X2! Wow...... unbelievable!

billwminnow
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Thats sooooooooooo wrong

walking buffalo
03-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for putting up the pics. Disgusting! F'n Disgusting!

No point having two threads on this, and these pictures say it best. This link is to the Queen's Printer, this is the Act that must be amended to stop this from being legal.

FISHERIES (ALBERTA) ACT
GENERAL FISHERIES (ALBERTA) REGULATION
Alberta Regulation 203/1997
With amendments up to and including Alberta Regulation 288/2009

Game fish
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,
(b) fish caught or held under the authority of a research
licence unless specified otherwise in conditions attached
to the licence,
(c) the disposal of fish at the direction of a fishery officer,
(d) fish that undergo taxidermy, and
(e) fish kept under a fish culture licence.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=1997_203.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779745258

To clarify, Burbot are lagally listed as a game fish, but this section of the Fisheries Act allows this to happen. All that needs to be done to stop this is to have SRD request parliament to amend section 57- 2-a.

WildCats, those pictures are invaluable in closing this loophole to abuse. Thanks for taking them, and sharing them. Please keep them posted in the photobucket account so others can see them, and forward the link to the government with their complaint/request for a change to this law.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post up some email address where people can voice their concerns, pictures included.

DuckBrat
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Thank you so very much for sharing this. Emails have been sent to the Fisheries head and Minister Mel Knights office. As sick as this is, it may help the initiative to get Burbot listed as an official game-fish and get some controls on limits and hopefully stop this ignorant behavior. I suggest finding the fisheries biologist in your area and sending them these shots with your comments. It only takes 5 minutes of your time.

deanmc
04-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Thank you so very much for sharing this. Emails have been sent to the Fisheries head and Minister Mel Knights office. As sick as this is, it may help the initiative to get Burbot listed as an official game-fish and get some controls on limits and hopefully stop this ignorant behavior. I suggest finding the fisheries biologist in your area and sending them these shots with your comments. It only takes 5 minutes of your time.

The biologists would have likely been on the lake when the nets were pulled. If you want action send it to the newspaper, every newspaper you can think of. I have sent a link for this thread to the Edmonton Sun and my mla George Vanderburg. Disgusting waste.:mad3:

valve god
04-01-2010, 06:37 AM
All I can say is what a flipping waste. Next thing you know the limit for burbot
will be 0.This has to stop!!!!!!!!!! :mad3:

crazyfish
04-01-2010, 06:52 AM

X2 , get it in the face of your MLA, most people seeing that waste would not agree to let it continue !

Coltye
04-01-2010, 07:11 AM
WTF is right.I'm no biologist or whatever but don't these fish serve some sort of purpose to these lakes being bottom feeders they clean up alot of stuff.Or am i out to lunch,besides the point that just shows how Alberta's fisheries are,never mind time and money some anglers put in to catch these fish,just my $.02.

greywolffan
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Makes me sick to see that and F&W will not do a thing. Our lakes to me are getting worse every year and this kind of crap does not help. How many have kids and they would be thrilled to catch burbot all day would they not. I saw the same thing years ago at Utikama but much worse. There were piles of dead fish and I swore I would never go back. Wanted to write my MLA about it but figured why waiste the time. The CO should find out who did this and make them clean up every spec of fish and fine them big time. :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

zabbo
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Good on ya for taking the time and putting in the effort. I'll be droping an
e-mail to my M.L.A. including the photos and my thoughts on the waste.
:mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

gramps73
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I would think that if the pictures were sent to F&W along with a link that AO members and who ever can send a letter addressing this matter..things mite happen.
I have seen this kind of thing at PCR just not this bad..
Why not make them donate them to the homeless shelter like you can do with your un wanted wild meat?

TexasTornado
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Unreal

SNAPFisher
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow. The pictures say it all. That really is unfortunate.

Before the commercial fishing bashing gets out of hand, it would be good to hear from the other side. I would hope this is an isolated incident "one bad apple....". Bad apples exist in all groups. Unfortunatley a bad apple netter can do tons more damage then a bad apple angler.

Any commercial fishermen on here that have pulled nets with lots of burbot? If so, what did you do? Of course it is possible the nets were set by an aboriginal so the same question should apply there.

WildCats
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
It's not Aboriginals, F&W ran the net numbers and it came back Commercial.

the local angler
04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
thats just friggen retarted the burbots are excellent game species and great for eatting, such a huge waste.

AxeMan
04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
There a couple of fish in the pics that don't appear to be Burbot. Thay have forked tails. Am I wrong?

WildCats
04-01-2010, 11:39 AM
There was a few Redhorse Suckers mixed in but mostly Burbot.

cdock
04-01-2010, 11:39 AM
That's brutal and in no way should that be legal and if it is legal it needs to be changed.

Soiler
04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Thats unbelievable!!!! Sportsfisherman have regs to abide by & the netters can waste that much of OUR resource????? That's fu**ing wrong!!!! Get on it AO members,lets try to get this changed!!!

jono88
04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
this is not legal and burbot are in fact a game fish thus making them subject to the sportfishing regulations. i found this on SRD's website. Please read this because it seems as though people are grossly misinformed when it comes to the status of Burbot as a game fish.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewardship/WildSpecies/Fish/Codfish/Burbot/Burbot.aspx

Rockymtnx
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
this is not legal and burbot are in fact a game fish thus making them subject to the sportfishing regulations. i found this on SRD's website. Please read this because it seems as though people are grossly misinformed when it comes to the status of Burbot as a game fish.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewardship/WildSpecies/Fish/Codfish/Burbot/Burbot.aspx

Jono88 please see walking buffalo’s post/ link to the Fisheries Act. Sadly it is legal.

This link is to the Queen's Printer, this is the Act that must be amended to stop this from being legal.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=1997_203.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779745258

To clarify, Burbot are lagally listed as a game fish, but this section of the Fisheries Act allows this to happen. All that needs to be done to stop this is to have SRD request parliament to amend section 57- 2-a.

BlackHeart
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Even if they were killed in the nets as a result of fishing for other fish like whitefish, they should not have been wasted. Forcing them to take them will just result in them being in the garbage somewhere else as it has been said that there is no commercial value to them(??????? really???)

Better options can be found:

a) food banks-not a big fan of this one.
b) I would pick up some for the table as I am sure many of us would - at least they would not be left to rot
c) change how netting is done to stop this (not sure if its possible)
d) no netting during the burb spawn (not sure if this is feasible)

Paul C
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Dan
Those pictures were sent to media. Let the media put pressure on the government. :wave:

Wood1
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
A further plunder of OUR resources. I find it hard to believe that there is no commercial market for burbot, I think it is greed and laziness by the commercial fisherman. Likely, not worth the time to find a market and lower prices than whitefish or walleye. Go to your local supermarket and have a look at what they are selling for fish these days, frozen, rough fish from ocean trawlers that cannot find traditional species due to over harvest. I think a market could be found or established for burbot if there was an effort made. I know I would rather purchase locally caught Alberta burbot instead of some unheard of species from south african waters.

Regardless of the waste from Alberta commercial fishing, please remember who is netting our waters. It's our rural neighbours, typically farmers that have the off time in winter and suplement (barely) their income that is already suplemented through tax paying dollars. Do they really need this income to survive? I think not. They are profiting off of our resource, when we are barely allowed to bring home a meal. Could you only imagine the outcry if these same farmers were allowed to harvest bighorn sheep, deer, moose etc in quantity when other taxpayers could not or only on draw and god forbid waste any of it?

firegod74
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
FISHERIES (ALBERTA) ACT
GENERAL FISHERIES (ALBERTA) REGULATION
Alberta Regulation 203/1997
With amendments up to and including Alberta Regulation 288/2009

Game fish
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,
(b) fish caught or held under the authority of a research
licence unless specified otherwise in conditions attached
to the licence,
(c) the disposal of fish at the direction of a fishery officer,
(d) fish that undergo taxidermy, and
(e) fish kept under a fish culture licence.

True they do not have to keep them, but why are they not restricted to limits like the rest of us? Yes unfortunately the law says that they do not have to keep and make use of them, but the limit they should be able to catch should be 10 just like me.

walking buffalo
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm still putting some info/links together on this subject, may be a day or so.

In the meantime, write SRD, Minister Mel Knight, your MLA, media, and your friends.

Possibly the most effective route to amend this law is to contact ACA - Alberta Conservation Association, AFGA - Alberta Fish and Game Club, and your local fish and game club. These groups have the ability to present resolutions to SRD to make the change.

ACA has an agreement with SRD regarding fisheries management. Please contact them in regards to this issue. They have standing to submit a request for an amendment to the Fisheries Act.
http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm
Email: info@ab-conservation.com
Dr. Mark Boyce - ACA University of Alberta Chair in Fisheries and Wildlife
Dr. Peter Aku Sr. Scientist & Program Manager, Fisheries 780-410-1996

Fisheries Agreement Program Agreement
http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/tasks/sites/default/assets/File/pdfs/02AboutUs/02RolesandResponsibilities/Fisheries_Program_Agreement.pdf

According to the Fish Conservation Strategy for Alberta 2006-2010, game fish are to be managed for #1 conservation, #4 Resident recreational use, and #5 commercial uses.
With Burbot being listed as a game fish with conservation limits applied to recreation fishing, it is stipulated within the policy that these fish be managed with priority for recreational fishing before commercial uses. There is no logical management principal to allow the waste of these fish while enforcing a possession limit to anglers.

Fish Conservation Strategy for Alberta 2006-2010 http://srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/documents/FishConservStrategy2006.pdf

Goal 3: Fishing Opportunities
To maintain and provide a high diversity, quality and number of different fishing opportunities
across the province, while managing harvest and use at levels that are sustainable.
One of Sustainable Resource Development’s challenges is to allocate, through a public consultation
process, the appropriate use or combination of uses of fish resources that are surplus to
conservation needs, which result in a sharing of the resource between legitimate users and achieve
a range of benefits, while still supporting fishery management objectives. To better understand
who is using fish resources and harvest levels, the department will evaluate the merit of licensing
all users.
The management of fisheries must follow a policy that allows harvest only when a supply of fish
beyond conservation needs has been proven available. The Fish and Wildlife Policy for Alberta
(1982) stipulates that the interim allocation priorities will be in the following descending order,
until supply and demand issues are addressed on a site-specific basis through the allocation
process:
1. Conservation of fish stocks;
2. Alberta Indians fishing for food on specific sites;
3. Métis people fishing on Métis Settlements;
4. Resident recreational use; and
5. Primary commercial uses (e.g., commercial fishing, guiding and tourist angling).
In addition, Sustainable Resource Development is considering the feasibility and merits of treating
any losses of fish and habitat attributed to industrial activities as an allocation of the resource to
industry. Reductions in fish production levels already need to be considered when determining the
available supply of fish for other users.

BlackHeart
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
A further plunder of OUR resources. I find it hard to believe that there is no commercial market for burbot, I think it is greed and laziness by the commercial fisherman. Likely, not worth the time to find a market and lower prices than whitefish or walleye.

I know I could find a commercial market for these fish in about a few minutes and there would be good money in it,.....BUT WHY would I want another species to be exploited commercially to the point of the recreational fisherman being limited in what they can catch and the resource exploited to the point that you cannot find them anymore or keep them (like walleye). The less netting/commerical fishing the better in my opinion.

So I will give no hints or contribute as to how to make burbs commercial on this site. I would advise the rest of us to do the same, please.

You know the funny thing is that burb spawns provide a food source for the whites that they are after and probably make it easier/more productive for them to net them as they concentrate in those burb spawning areas.

The main point is to that this waste and slaughter needs to stop. Just as wasting game animal meat is illegal, so should this.

hb hunter
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
It's not Aboriginals, F&W ran the net numbers and it came back Commercial.

isint native netting commercial? i met a group of native fisherman at slave last year loading hundreds of pounds of netted white fish. they told me they only sell these fish commercially and do not make any private sales. i was told there fish went for $0.33 per lb.

jpietrzak1979
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Dan
Those pictures were sent to media. Let the media put pressure on the government. :wave:

For the record I sent this information to the Journal too, maybe some one will take interest in the story.
-J

firegod74
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I contacted Pearl, the MLA for Lesser Slave Lake, her assistant said she would make sure Pearl saw the pics, I wonder if I will get a response?

Coltye
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Wood1-don't even go there and blame farmers,you must be a vegetarian then right.

greylynx
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Where are all the Syncrude Duck People.
Send these pictures to Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Federation and let those marketing people do the work for us.

walking buffalo
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Send these pictures to Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Federation and let those marketing people do the work for us.

:huh:

We can do it ourself.

S.A.S
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
The pictures really put a different spin on it. :( Throwing the odd bullhead (destructive little fish in red river) Into the bushes for cats is one thing, But a mass waste of perfectly good C&R fish. Is there a number to call to voice a complaint and try and get this law changed?

Kim473
04-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I sent a email to Brian Mason. Why would they not get a huge fine for at least littering on the lake. More than just fish there.

GummyMonster
04-02-2010, 08:21 AM

This is an unacceptable practice, but the WWF and GreenPeace are the LAST group's you want involved. They have VERY different agenda's than sportfishing people and will only use something like this to damage all fishing.

Blaming farmers or natives or even all commercial fishermen is a knee jerk reaction. I am sure many people in all these categories would be against this sort of waste.

Hopefully, the letters that this thread has initiated will have a good effect .
:DKen:D

Fishfinder
04-02-2010, 08:35 AM
This is an unacceptable practice, but the WWF and GreenPeace are the LAST group's you want involved. They have VERY different agenda's than sportfishing people and will only use something like this to damage all fishing.

Blaming farmers or natives or even all commercial fishermen is a knee jerk reaction. I am sure many people in all these categories would be against this sort of waste.

Agreed. Well said Ken.
Man those pics are disheartening! Whoever left that wasteful mess should be truly ashamed! Absolutely unnacceptable, makes my stomach churn!
Let's hope this is sorta practice is stopped immediately.:cry::mad2:

300MAG1620
04-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Thats bloody ******ed, id like to take them commercial guys out there and make them clean them all up while they stare down the barrell of my 300 then make them eat every one of them, what a waste. The worst thing is they probably were laughing while they did that, brutal definitely ****ed off about that:mad3:

ice
04-03-2010, 03:33 AM
hahhahahaha welcome to Commercial Fishing alberta.
This also happens on Utikuma.
Lots of burbs, and Diseased Whites.
BUT IF I TAKE ONE EXTRA!!!!
The Law Comes Down.
What A Crock Of ****.
Atleast ill put it to use...
**** Sakes

ice
04-03-2010, 03:38 AM
they should atleast keep them and give them to people that want them even if for free.
**** SAKES

ice
04-03-2010, 03:45 AM
the way i see it is it should be the other way around.
(Except for pike and walleye)
ui think it should atleast be the anglers choice to put it back. keep it. or leave it on the ice.
Not where there catching 200 at a time and leaving them there,
Just Cause its not a sportfish dosent mean.
it dosent have a right at life. And Just Because the market dosent want them.
Dosent mean the Patriot anglers dont.
Atleast give us a go at them.
Just cuz you dont want them,
Dosent mean we dont.
**** OFF COMMERCIAL AB FISHING.
WE CAN CATCH OUR OWN ****ING FISH
And Anyone else That Wants an alberta fish.
Can Pay the 60$
And Come Get them themselves.
Enough of This Netting Fish.
ALBERTA IS RUNNING OUT OF FISH.
Durrr

Penner
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Agreed, WWF and Greenpeace are two groups you do NOT want involved. You can add PETA or Pearl Calahasen to that list.

Pearl Calahasen was responsible for the initial Alberta Métis Agreement fiasco. She was forced to the “back bench” by Stelmach and in my opinion, she should have been pushed out even further.

aulrich
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Commercial fishers, like trappers, like seal hunters, like loggers, like farmers like miners, ETC have the right to earn a living. The trick is to do sustainably, and that is no mean feat.

To a certain degree I think we are getting a handle on managing a commercial fish speicies but bi-catch is the industries dirty little secret I can just imagine the tonnes on the big commercial ships. As with all useage of a natural resource there is always a better way, pressure should be applied to find a better way, but a straight up ban is not all that useful.

Here is a thought how many daily limits would it take to equal the total catch and how many C&R'ed fish where a small percentage of which die of hooking mortality to exceed the "wasted" bi-catch. Everybody has thier own dirty little secret be carful when your thowing stones.

greywolffan
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I was told the mess was cleaned up. Sure hope someone got fined . I wrote a few letters but as usual there has been no reply yet. Government officials protect there own and it is a joke that this is going on in our province. Just my opinion. Happy fishing everyone. I hope I can get out this summer but it doesnt look like I will do much..

Fishfinder
04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Commercial fishers, like trappers, like seal hunters, like loggers, like farmers like miners, ETC have the right to earn a living. The trick is to do sustainably, and that is no mean feat.

To a certain degree I think we are getting a handle on managing a commercial fish speicies but bi-catch is the industries dirty little secret I can just imagine the tonnes on the big commercial ships. As with all useage of a natural resource there is always a better way, pressure should be applied to find a better way, but a straight up ban is not all that useful.

Here is a thought how many daily limits would it take to equal the total catch and how many C&R'ed fish where a small percentage of which die of hooking mortality to exceed the "wasted" bi-catch. Everybody has thier own dirty little secret be carful when your thowing stones.

Disagree 110% Food and resource is being wasted, for what I ask u, alot of commercial fisherpeople don't have the time/care to save these fish. I say B.S. They want their payday, nuttin more, nuttin less, guessing most of em don't fish or don't care. Jus a job to them. Hope they choke on a fishbone:evilgrin:or two:evilgrin:or three:evilgrin:

aulrich
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Oddly I don't think I said it was not a waste.

I would preffer to see the bi-catch go back down the hole live, but I don't know the process, I don't know if the fish are alive when they come up.

I am pretty sure superstore does not buy from joe fisherman so if the fish plant won't buy it, it is pretty much garbage. Having it count against the quota, area closures are tools to be used, to reduce by-catch.

A few years back on the lake where I have a cabin Sask conservation closed an important spawning area to all fishing commercial and sport and it only took a few years to show the benifit. Also I forget the ratio but bi-catch there counts for more than a whitefish so there is stong incentive to reduce bi-catch.

walking buffalo
04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Has anyone had a reply to their letters?

I haven't. ??? SRD is being suspiciously quiet on this one.

Morph1
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
this is a very sad site seeing such a waste...,
I mean there are people locally and abroad that are starving to death and here in Alberta you can allow for such a waste to happen... and yet implement limits on an average angler !!!!! this just makes no sense !!!!!,
just imagine the fishery we could have here without commercial fishing.....
Wanna net the fish !!! get the f out of here to the coast and rape the ocean instead !!!
I would be more than happy to be able to hook onto some burbs even for the purpose of just catch'n releasing...
Shame on F&W to allow for something like that to happen :mad2:

chuck0039
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Even though the law says they don't need to be salvaged, the commercial fisher person that did this should have disposed of them in a different manner than littering them all over the ice and in the public's eye.

You would think the the person would have enough sense to realize that what he did would raise alot of eyebrows, or maybe they thought it would go un-noticed

One good thing that will come out of this mess is the fact that the law will hopefully get amended now that everyone is aware.

1899b
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I am very surprised by the comments here. What did you folks think happens when nets are placed. There are tons of "accidental" kills. Kind of hard to force one species to get caught in a net i would think. A very wasteful practice indeed. My grandfather commercial fished Muriel Lake by Bonnyville for whitefish back in the day. Hundreds of Pike and Walleye succombed to those nets "accidentaly" as well. Disgusting fishing practices.

1899b
04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Even though the law says they don't need to be salvaged, the commercial fisher person that did this should have disposed of them in a different manner than littering them all over the ice and in the public's eye.

You would think the the person would have enough sense to realize that what he did would raise alot of eyebrows, or maybe they thought it would go un-noticed

One good thing that will come out of this mess is the fact that the law will hopefully get amended now that everyone is aware.

I am sure there are various groups in Alberta that could have used that Burbot meat.

greywolffan
04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
this is a very sad site seeing such a waste...,
I mean there are people locally and abroad that are starving to death and here in Alberta you can allow for such a waste to happen... and yet implement limits on an average angler !!!!! this just makes no sense !!!!!,
just imagine the fishery we could have here without commercial fishing.....
Wanna net the fish !!! get the f out of here to the coast and rape the ocean instead !!!
I would be more than happy to be able to hook onto some burbs even for the purpose of just catch'n releasing...
Shame on F&W to allow for something like that to happen :mad2:

I so agree with you. All the people who have kids I am sure they would be so thrilled catching burbot all day long. Makes me sick to see this happen. Guess the F&W people better do some hiring or start nailing these criminals

1899b
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I so agree with you. All the people who have kids I am sure they would be so thrilled catching burbot all day long. Makes me sick to see this happen. Guess the F&W people better do some hiring or start nailing these criminals

Greywolffan if you read the entire thread you will learn this practice is not illegal.

LeonH
04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
This is simply immoral, what a shame.

I would like to know when this loophole in the law was created or better who did it. It seems with this exception that it was very deliberate to target this species.

DuckBrat
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Has anyone had a reply to their letters?

I haven't. ??? SRD is being suspiciously quiet on this one.

I must agree, I sent a 3 letters and a handful more emails the day the pic was posted but have yet to receive nary a whisper. Even my usual contact with SRD has been curiously quiet.

jeprli
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Someone should hogtie those people and leave them to rot on ice just like those fish. What a shame for all of us!!!

rednek
04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
That is a disgusting waste.

outdoors forever
04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I agree with you, Ice.
My dad went up to Utikima a few weeks ago and took a good bunch of burbot in his truck box, to use for himself, his neighbors, and my family as well. Later Fish and Wildlife informed him that he would be charged if he was caught with more than 10 in his truck. He estimates there were over a thousand fish left on the ice, and he can take 10?????????? He was about ready to start WW3 over this. When I told him these pictures were up on this forum and all the comments, it made him feel better. He is a senior and does not have access to a computer, otherwise he would be on these forums all day long!
We need to keep the emails and letters going to our Gov. to get this waste stopped.

DANOMAN
04-10-2010, 04:40 AM
easy solution see net pull out buck knife voila bye bye net !! i have done it before and wouldn't even think twice about doing it again! :evilgrin: they waste my resources i waste:evilgrin: there nets !

Black Stim
04-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Danoman,

bad idea to cut nets. That net will fish forever on the bottom of the lake. Might make you feel good at the time, but all the dead fish that net catches are on your conscience.

AxeMan
04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
easy solution see net pull out buck knife voila bye bye net !! i have done it before and wouldn't even think twice about doing it again! :evilgrin: they waste my resources i waste:evilgrin: there nets !

I hope you are kidding because if you actually did this I would say you are putting your health and possibly your life in serious jeopardy if you were ever caught. Not to mention that tampering with nets is highly illegal. If you disagree with commercial or sustenance netting lobby SRD.

Paul C
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
easy solution see net pull out buck knife voila bye bye net !! i have done it before and wouldn't even think twice about doing it again! :evilgrin: they waste my resources i waste:evilgrin: there nets ! If you did this it would leave a " Killing Field " underneath the ice.

greywolffan
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I agree with you, Ice.
My dad went up to Utikima a few weeks ago and took a good bunch of burbot in his truck box, to use for himself, his neighbors, and my family as well. Later Fish and Wildlife informed him that he would be charged if he was caught with more than 10 in his truck. He estimates there were over a thousand fish left on the ice, and he can take 10?????????? He was about ready to start WW3 over this. When I told him these pictures were up on this forum and all the comments, it made him feel better. He is a senior and does not have access to a computer, otherwise he would be on these forums all day long!
We need to keep the emails and letters going to our Gov. to get this waste stopped.

Glad someone else sees what I saw. I previously mentioned Utikama lake . I will never ever go back there after what I also saw. This was a couple of years ago and lots of rotten fish left on the ice. Like I said before netting should not be allowed in our lakes and if it is allowed fine these losers who throw their unwanted fish wherever they want. Makes me sick to see this

luckyme
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
that's just plain wrong,why can't they just toss them back into the water????:mad3: I have chased these species last season with no luck and these people just waste them like used coffee cups.:tongue2::tongue2:

outdoors forever
04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
If anyone cares to speak to my father about this, he informed me that he would be happy to discuss these issues. He is very pro-outdoors, ( and very well known to our local newspaper ), a career trapper, and loves a debate, but like I said before he has no access to internet. I will email anyone his info if you want to contact him - he loves to talk.

ice
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree with you, Ice.

Exactly. its really pathetic.
With regs Saying that burbs can be wasted. Youd think they were killing off all the sought after game fish in the lakes. but no. Its just another natural occuring fish in alberta,
Really. How are these fish going to grow so we could get some trophy specimens going on when this is happening. If they keep this up. Its going to be the same with pike in poland.
All the Pike Populations Where killed due to netting and spear fishing. And Now all the fish are only small.
Im not going to be a happy camper if this is what comes of this,

I Dont know about you guys. but i havent seen a 15+ pound burb come out of alberta for years now..

Jayball
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Disappointing to say the least. What a waste.

walleyechaser
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
that's just plain wrong,why can't they just toss them back into the water????:mad3: I have chased these species last season with no luck and these people just waste them like used coffee cups.:tongue2::tongue2:

I also have a tough time catching these guys, only really tried in summer.

This waste is something that definately needs looking into

Mussel
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I am a commercial fisher, those were not my nets. At present there is no market for burbot as we are forced to sell our commercial catch to the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation and they refuse to buy burbot. We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them. This particular season has a zone that makes it especially difficult to avoid the burbot and still catch the targetted whitefish. There is a commercial quota on the burbot that is never reached as we are usually very good at avoiding this species. As commercial fishers we would like to see anglers keep as many burbot as they can catch. These burbot are extreme predators that are very adept at feeding upon walleye. We have dressed spring burbot and found as many as 60 walleye fingerlings in the belly of one burbot. In our commercial nets we can catch many whitefish with the very odd walleye, the walleye are usually no good as they have spent the night in the belly of a burbot and are partially digested. As for changing the law it would prevent people from seeing the wasted fish but these fish are being eaten by birds coyotees and the like, if the were hauled off of the lake they would needlessly fill our local landfills and truly be waisted. No easy solution here but please know that it is never the intention of a commercial fisher to waste fish.

greylynx
04-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Have you guys tried the Hutterites. They used to use the burbot for pig feed.

Also try the U of A. dept of Zoology. Given the large sample of fish that is being destroyed, surely there can be some form of research applied from everything from population dynamics and genetics, to parisitology, to neuroendocrinology, to taxonomy, to limnology......to study specimens for introductory biology students.

Well maybe not limnology. They just like to teach students how to protest in front of the legislature buildings.........and spend all their time investigating high alpine lakes......heaven forbid the scoundrel ling cod of Boreal Alberta.

Mussel
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Most groups that buy commercially caught fish are aware that we have no market for this species, they are also aware that burbot are not good keepers. We are always looking for markets for this species and we have found markets but the F.F.M.C. has refused to allow us to sell into those markets. The act that governs the sale of commercially caught fish does not allow us to sell for resale unless they are being sold to the F.F.M.C.
Perhaps we should use this forum to tell people when we will be fishing on lakes that are apt to have a high by-catch of burbot. anyone wanting these fish need only to talk to a fisher, most of us would be happy to give permission and reciepts for as many pounds as anyone would want.

BlackHeart
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them.

Well this site is the place to find those that want them.
My son and I would love some burbot as a change of pace. Not sure of how many we can legally take (we both have our rec fishing licence), but we will both take up to the legal amount.

I also know of a single mother and family that would appreciate having fish on the table. I take her son out with us whenever I can - he loves to fish but without a father around, I'm his only opportunity. It will be good for him to learn how to fillet some burbs for their table.

And if you need more people to make it convenient to only have one drop/arrangement, I can arrange that. Pass this along to the other guys that you know that net. I am sure there will be others on here that will sign up for taking these burbs rather than having them go to waste.

PM me anytime during your netting season - heck the three of us will even help you pull your nets and help with other stuff that day.

Mussel
04-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Our next commercial season will be on L.S.L. this spring and I am always happy to take a sports fisher along to show how we do things. As for the burbot caught in our nets there is no limit to the amount that I can give to you. You would probably enjoy the experience and you would find that we are a responsible group who do our best to conserve the resourse and keep a balance that helps to enhance angling oportunities.

slingshotz
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm glad there was someone from the other side explaining the situation. Now that I have more information, I'm less angry towards the commercial fishermen and more to the red tape and legislation. Thanks for posting on here Mussel.

If you guys were netting closer to Calgary, I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to help clean up the burbot. If I could, I would definitely take all of them, clean them and donate the meat to the meals on wheels or similar organization. That and I'd love to learn how the netting operation works.

DeanP
04-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Mussel,

I'm in Cold Lake, so if there are any commercial fisherfolks around here that need their burbot taken off their hands, they can get a hold of me. I know lots of folks who would gladly take them!:)

AK47
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Whats about just donating it to food banks? I bet there would be plenty of people who would take few burbots.

marlin1
04-15-2010, 09:45 AM
here I am wishing I had caught more burbs through the ice and I see this . I'd be able to find a home for those tasty fish no problem . These are the best eating fish we have in my lowly opinion . I'd even put in some work to get some

BlackHeart
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Our next commercial season will be on L.S.L. this spring and I am always happy to take a sports fisher along to show how we do things. As for the burbot caught in our nets there is no limit to the amount that I can give to you. You would probably enjoy the experience and you would find that we are a responsible group who do our best to conserve the resourse and keep a balance that helps to enhance angling oportunities.

Excellent! Your explaination of the situation is much appreciated. I would look forward to it. I am fit, strong and am not afraid of hard physical labour. Would be neat to learn what commerical fishing is like. And any day on the lake fishing is a good day.

Thanks for your input into this issue.

Mussel
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
It is sometimes difficult to explain but please know that our industry is carefully controlled and monitored so that the netting of fish is rarely ever detrimental to the resourse. We are carefully monitored and limited to what we catch to avoid overproducing on any specie. Commercial fishing in Alberta is amongst the oldest of our industries and is responsible for the start of many of our communities. Our nets help to maintain a balanced fish population in our lakes. If you consider that some of the very best angling lakes in Alberta have been fished commercially for over 50 years you might begin to understand that we actually enhance angling opportunities by helping to keep a balanced eco-system.
We have other lakes that were fished commercially, Siebert Lake and Gods Lake are examples. These lakes were turned into trophy lakes for angling. Within a few years we see very few trophy fish caught on these lakes. Without the balanced population the angling opportunities diminished and now the sports fishing on those lakes are not as good as it was during the time that the lake was commercially fished.
If you consider the cases of Utikima Lake, South Wabaska Lake, Brintnall Lake and Winnagami Lake. These lakes have all experienced devastating winter kills. The fish populations got so high that the lake did not have enough oxygen to last for the winter and millions of pounds of fish died. These fish were of all species and could have fed a lot of people if we had been allowed to harvest them.
As commercial fishers we would like to work with the anglers of Alberta to do what is best for everybody. On a lake like Lesser Slave Lake we need to see the anglers take more of the game fish to make it easier for us to avoid them. A big reason for the nets being set at a time where the burbot were caught is that there are far too many walleye in L.S.L. and our traditional seasons had to be changed to avoid the walleye whose population is out of control. We ask that the anglers of our province be allowed to catch more Walleye on L.S.L. but our biologists have told us that it is better to let the population starve than for them to increase the anglers quota. It makes no sense to us but as long as anglers and commercial fishers have no forum in which we can work together cooperatively we will continue to misunderstand each other and that is a shame.

spopadyn
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I have no beef with the commercial fishermen. They have a job to do and I hope they catch as much as is allowed them. I think your point about walleye in LSL is probably the same point many of us anglers have been making about Pigeon and other lakes. F&W are haoppy to see thousands of small skinny walleye instead of bigger trophy fish. It is wierd. I can go to Pigeon and catch 100 walleye but not one is over 2.5lbs and they are super easy to catch. Additionally, they all look skinny - like they are being stunted. At least at McGregor, I can catch different sized walleye (even though it is only C&R) so I am really not sure what is going on.

Sundancefisher
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Interesting note.

I noticed some years ago this interesting fact. A hunting buddy of mine was complaining that someone wasted some perfectly good meat. Shortly after in another incident someone was charged for wasting big game.

I thought to check the regs to see what the law was for fish. At the time you could catch your limit of fish and throw them in the bushes and go home. I thought this to be totally insulting to sportfishing in general.

When I mentioned this to F&W people I knew... they at first cried bull&^*, but then they looked at the regs and saw this to be true.

The regs got changed.

walking buffalo
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Mussel,

I appreciate your input. In a nutshell, you seem to be saying the reason commercial fisherman leave Burbot to rot, a gamefish with possession limits for recreational anglers, is because the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation ( FFMC) will not market these fish.

This is so simple, amend the Alberta Fish Act to make wasting Burbot illegal. Then the FFMC will have to deal with this problem. Markets for Burbot products are accessable, viable, and waiting. Marketing Burbot has been attempted, successfully, only to be closed by the FFMC Monopoly.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=1038538&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=36&Ses=1

If you take a look on page 2 of this Arthur Andersen report, you'll see three points at the bottom. It starts off: “The Real Canadian Superstore has introduced maria'— or freshwater cod —“as President's Choice `Fresh water Cod' in its Ottawa and Quebec stores from December to April.” It took a year and a half for me to develop that market with Superstore, going back and forth to Toronto, spending a lot of money. One Superstore was offered a price by me, which they accepted, when I had to go off and get a special dealer's permit from the corporation. The corporation found out who my market was going to. They automatically got somebody in Superstore and low-balled my price.

Remember, the Alberta Fish Management Strategy prioritizes recreational angling before commercial use.

http://142.229.230.68/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/documents/FishConservStrat.pdf

From a conservation, recreational, and commercial standpoint, it only makes sense to stop the practice of allowing Burbot to rot.

Some links for those who are interested.

Commercial fishing in Alberta
http://142.229.230.68/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/Commercial
FishingAlberta.aspx

NWT Commercial Fishermen vote to leave FFMC, Feb.17 2010
http://www.hayriverhub.com/2010/02/fishermen-vote-to-leave-freshwater/

Paul C
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Mussel,

I appreciate your input. In a nutshell, you seem to be saying the reason commercial fisherman leave Burbot to rot, a gamefish with possession limits for recreational anglers, is because the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation ( FFMC) will not market these fish.

This is so simple, amend the Alberta Fish Act to make wasting Burbot illegal. Then the FFMC will have to deal with this problem. Markets for Burbot products are accessable, viable, and waiting. Marketing Burbot has been attempted, successfully, only to be closed by the FFMC Monopoly.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=1038538&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=36&Ses=1

Remember, the Alberta Fish Management Strategy prioritizes recreational angling before commercial use.

http://142.229.230.68/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/documents/FishConservStrat.pdf

From a conservation, recreational, and commercial standpoint, it only makes sense to stop the practice of allowing Burbot to rot.

Some links for those who are interested.

Commercial fishing in Alberta
http://142.229.230.68/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/Commercial
FishingAlberta.aspx

NWT Commercial Fishermen vote to leave FFMC, Feb.17 2010
X2 commmon sense applies

Mussel
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM
The annual commercial walleye catch on L.S.L. is less than 10,000 kgs, or about 3% of the mortality rate on walleye released by recreational fishers. We could easily reduce this number if the regs would allow propper qutoas on the walleye for anglers. Commercial fishers do our best to avoid walleye on all of our lakes. We do not want to catch the walleye but someone has to. We hope that the regs will change to allow the sports fishers to keep at least three untill the population comes down to a level that the feed in the lake can sustain. On lakes like L.S.L. the numbers of walleye are so high that our avoidance strategies that used to be successful are now seeing a few walleye. The walleye on L.S.L. are unhealthy to the point that the majority of the females are no longer spawning. This lack of spawning females has caused our government to abandon the L.S.L. spawning beds which used to provide a large percentage of the walleye roe for the spawning program. The walleye spawning camp is now a fly-in site at Bistcho Lake in northern Alberta. This makes the program much more expensive. As commercial fishers we love success stories on our lakes and we believe that cooperation and proper lake management would see a lot more success stories.

bowness
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
That is an incredible waste of a fantastic tasting fish. There should be a review of the status of this "non-gamefish" so it is not wasted in this way. Times have changed in the way people see and use this species and the laws have not. I see a post has given us the legal terms to use when forwarding our thoughts to fisheries about the amendment to the gamefish definition. If we all send an e-mail (with the photos) it may stir things up. One of the great benefits of having us all on this forum! Working together, aww I think I'm tearing up...:cry:

bowness
04-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Great work!

firegod74
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I was just wondering if anybody else heard back from the letters they sent. My email to MLA Peal Callahasen (MD Lesser Slave River) was acknowledged by her office the next day, and Pearl had tried to contact me by phone, but she had my work number and left a message on my days off. I haven't tried to contact her again, and she hasn't tried to contact me, but I'm happy with her initial effort.

I also received a letter from Mel Knight and SRD dated April 22, 2010. The funny thing about it is that he didn't respond to the one I sent to his office, he responded my letter sent to, and forwarded from the Premiers Office.

I would type the whole thing out, but I'm just too lazy. The jist of it is that not much is known about the species, and they are working to learn more. "In addition to a recent spawning survey and the upcoming summer assessment of burbot in Lac La Nonne, the department is planning a process to determine the conservation status of the species in the province. Once this information is available, we will be able to re-evaluate the regulations and make any changes that might be required, such as reducing daily harvest limits, managing wastage, and mitigating the commercial harvest durig the spawning season"

And this at the end "Regulation changes are made on a two-year cycle, so staff are considering what might be done in the meantime to address the wastage that you have observed. We share your concerns in this matter and do not condone this practice.

My thanks goes out to the original poster that supplied the pics of those burbot on the ice. I hope these official responses mean that action is indeed being taken, and not just smoke and mirrors.

deanmc
05-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Yes I received a similar response as well. Phone call from Fish and wildlife officer to let me know he would pass it along to the powers that be.

Spennydubs
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Wow fished Slave lake my whole life never knew there was that much burbot lol but slave lake needs to stop being fished soo hard and this whole native and netting thing needs to end i fished that lake since i was a little guy and back in the day you would catch 6 pound fish or more every few casts now its hard to even find a keeper. This treety stuff has to come to a end and this includes hunting in my books too. Just my thoughts.

bowness
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I bought a book discussing ways to change or abolish the Indian act. It is an archaic act that hurts us all (all Canadians, including those who consider themselves first nations, then Canadian). Any laws that are based on giving or not giving rights to a particular cultural group or race is, as far as I'm concerned, unconstitutional and ethically wrong. Hence my desire to abolish the 150 year old Indian act. Our entire Canadian/First nations societies will benefit. We need to support the Conservative party as I believe they may be able to move forward somewhat in this area if they have a majority. It is a HOT POTATOE and politicians avoid it like the plague!

Spennydubs
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Well said!!!!! It has to come to and end.

firegod74
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
In the letter the said they were looking at a way to deal with the wastage issue until the research is complete and changes can be made to the regulations. I'm thinking something like Sundancefisher does in Calgary. A special permit to take home more than the limit. Signed off by a commercial fisherman to show that the fish would have been wasted otherwise. And rules stating that the fish cannot be sold as salvage, the commercial fisherman are obliged to release them to those that want them.

DuckBrat
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
This letter was a generic letter sent tro anyone who had contacted SRD or their MLA about the fish wastage. I received this verbatum last week.

Sundancefisher
05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I am a commercial fisher, those were not my nets. At present there is no market for burbot as we are forced to sell our commercial catch to the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation and they refuse to buy burbot. We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them.

You may wish to take a page from the Lake Sundance book. Post on this site when and where you will be pulling nets and that everyone is welcome to come and take their legal limit of burbot home with them. You may be pleasantly surprised and at least mitigate some of the waste. People taking already dead burbot versus catching more will help conserve the stock.

IMHO

CDN
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
That is disgusting. Burbot are a vital part of lakes and rivers. What do you think cleans up what the other fish won't eat. I find them to be a better tasting fish than pike and even walleye if they are cooked properly. If I ever see someone doing that to fish I would probably end up kicking the **** out of them. You guys ever see someone doing this, warn them there are people that will **** them up. My fish club could probably drop a moose.

Tiny
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
That is disgusting. Burbot are a vital part of lakes and rivers. What do you think cleans up what the other fish won't eat. I find them to be a better tasting fish than pike and even walleye if they are cooked properly. If I ever see someone doing that to fish I would probably end up kicking the **** out of them. You guys ever see someone doing this, warn them there are people that will **** them up. My fish club could probably drop a moose.

I am guessing you only looked at pictures and never read the actual thread

CDN
05-06-2010, 06:18 PM
No, I read the thread. Don't care if it's legal or not. Disposing fish like that will spread disease. Think about that when that lake starts to die off or people start to eat diseased fish.

Dust1n
02-02-2011, 07:20 AM
thats a burbot masscre

mooseman1
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

100% right ,the best for everyone is to create a market for them and the fishermen will gladly hual them in.

ogre
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Doesn't this brings back images of the buffalo slaughter of years past? what a waste.

ogre
02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm glad there was someone from the other side explaining the situation. Now that I have more information, I'm less angry towards the commercial fishermen and more to the red tape and legislation. Thanks for posting on here Mussel.

If you guys were netting closer to Calgary, I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to help clean up the burbot. If I could, I would definitely take all of them, clean them and donate the meat to the meals on wheels or similar organization. That and I'd love to learn how the netting operation works.

x2

AK47
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
hm... just looked better at second picture, I can swear there is not only burbot in there - suckers? any other guesses?

PERCHY
02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
im disgusted..I really am this is terrible..JUST BECAUSE THIS IS LEGAL DOESNT MAKE IT ETHICAL OR MORALLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!! where did the respect go?

PERCHY
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
PLUS in the 2nd picture on the left towards the bottom it looks like a Walleye..cant tell for sure because the tail is covered...i almost guarantee that is a walleye..take a look you will see a ling upside down and then pan over 3 fish to the right....

wwbirds
02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I know the pictures were taken a long time ago but those fish would have looked much better in my smoker.
what a waste
Rob

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
hm... just looked better at second picture, I can swear there is not only burbot in there - suckers? any other guesses?

From the original poster:

There was a few Redhorse Suckers mixed in but mostly Burbot.

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM
PLUS in the 2nd picture on the left towards the bottom it looks like a Walleye..cant tell for sure because the tail is covered...i almost guarantee that is a walleye..take a look you will see a ling upside down and then pan over 3 fish to the right....

That's definitely a Burbot. Its pale color is throwing you off.

trophyboy
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
That's unbelievably disgraceful. Burbot are one of the best eating fish going. Another shining example of the competency of the F&W mismanagement in this province. Way to go Alberta! What a crying shame!

deerhuntercentral
02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey, it's Lesser Slave, they have managed it so hard for walleye there everything else is starving anyway. I got a ticket there for a 2 mm over walleye a few years ago when the limit was 1 over 3 under or whatever. It's serious business. Even the pike are starving there, I haven't caught a perch in Lesser Slave in close to 20 years. Walleye, walleye, walleye, and you can keep 1 fish?

I wrote a letter to the Mel Knight about it this summer, he told me he "heard" the perch fishing was great in Lesser Slave.

Anyway reminds me of Utikima over the years guys weeding through 10-20 burbot to catch a couple walleye and leaving everything on the ice.

And I hear so many guys saying how good they are to eat, why do so many ice anglers leave them on the lake?

KegRiver
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
It seems to me that Commercial Fishermen are wasting a great opportunity here.

With a little creative marketing those fish could be more valuable then the rest of the catch. Call them Freshwater Cod, sell frozen fillets at the local farmers market or maybe a private grocer and watch waste turn to profit.

Even if one sold them for half the price of the more popular species, I'm sure one could sell all they catch. You might not get rich, but I'd bet you could make enough to make it worth doing.

deerhuntercentral
02-02-2011, 10:23 PM
It seems to me that Commercial Fishermen are wasting a great opportunity here.

With a little creative marketing those fish could be more valuable then the rest of the catch. Call them Freshwater Cod, sell frozen fillets at the local farmers market or maybe a private grocer and watch waste turn to profit.

Even if one sold them for half the price of the more popular species, I'm sure one could sell all they catch. You might not get rich, but I'd bet you could make enough to make it worth doing.

The Asians would take all these fish. Should load them up and go to Chinatown in Edmonton, they can make soup and fish patties or whatever, dim sum.

Christofficer
02-03-2011, 02:56 AM
They shouldn't have to do anything with them at all, because this shouldn't be happening in the first place. I'm completely unsympathetic in the least for commercial fisherman, and I just plain don't care why this is happening. Fact is, it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I bought a book discussing ways to change or abolish the Indian act. It is an archaic act that hurts us all (all Canadians, including those who consider themselves first nations, then Canadian). Any laws that are based on giving or not giving rights to a particular cultural group or race is, as far as I'm concerned, unconstitutional and ethically wrong. Hence my desire to abolish the 150 year old Indian act. Our entire Canadian/First nations societies will benefit. We need to support the Conservative party as I believe they may be able to move forward somewhat in this area if they have a majority. It is a HOT POTATOE and politicians avoid it like the plague!What are you talking about ??? this has nothing to do with aboriginal people.

hot to hunt
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I remember growing up in High Prairie and cruising the lake looking for the "throw aways" (burbot) These guys apparently don't know what they're missing. Burbot are known to feed on the eggs of other sport fish species so are often looked as a nuisense. It's a real shame and although not considered a sport fish measures should be taken to prevent this from happening. It's still a waste of our natural resources.

perchie15
02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
What side of the lake is assineau on??

firegod74
02-04-2011, 07:47 AM
The East end. Just a bit West of Canyon Creek

fisher22
01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
i think who ever is doing that they should be fine just like any other person would if they were doing that .that is just a waste and crule thats my thought and i think the fish and wildlife should look into it some more.

horsetrader
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
i think who ever is doing that they should be fine just like any other person would if they were doing that .that is just a waste and crule thats my thought and i think the fish and wildlife should look into it some more.

The fish and wildlife are there when they net

BGSH
01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Crazy, you kidding me, that is sick, why waste fish and feed the gulls, there are all ready to many gulls around in the first place, secondly why?? what is the point of this?? seriously, people have a choice to think and do, but this is not thinking, very sad to see indeed.

alwaysfishn
01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Why wouldn't the commercial guys at least dump these fish back through the hole in the ice?

Saltmania
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
What a terrible waste.

Kokanee9
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
This thread was started almost 2 years ago.

pelada trochu
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Why dont we lobby to ban commercial fishing?

Whether eaten or wasted, the result is the same. All the fish are GONE!!!

The only fish that should be commercially caught are the ones that are farmed.

Thanks for pointing out that the thread is old. Whats up with that???

BGSH
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
This thread was started almost 2 years ago.

x2, it's great to keep putting up preasure on the issue and not let this thread die out.

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
ok a few points this is called bye catch. fish not intended for market this happens in all net based fishing and has for years.I have seen similar sights on pigeon lake not as bad as the posted pic. if you stop the bye catch you stop the fishery. as an angler this is a travesty. but will it make the news, sorry , probably not in our part of the world. what I find absurd is that every angler in alberta is not protesting these fisheries. when I seen a similar thing on piegon my verbal protest was laughed off it was there right to do this? ? my father taught me right from wrong maybe these men had no fathers.this is happening on every comercial fishery on earth. makes you think. and dont tell me there is no market kootaney lakes burbot were wiped out to sell in the late 80s. burbot have a unique life cycle you would need to research this your self. they feed every lake they occupy. what are we going to do about this. remember to completly stop bye catch you basically have to close all comercial fishing and in this part of the world I really dont see that as going to happen soon. when fish become a tourism draw the become worth millions but millions of people dont want to see drilling rigs or lease sights. I live in olds an old history filled town not one tourists bus in 8 yrs. funny they all go where they are supposed to go banff. to spend there $ on s*** I believe pink floyd say it best welcome to the machine!!

slivers86
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I'd be tempted to cut the nets up... take a 'slice' out of their operation...

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 02:27 AM
I'd be tempted to cut the nets up... take a 'slice' out of their operation...

I am sure you have good intention at heart but this is a bad idea it is there right but not yous to stop them pm the horse trader has a passion for peoples rights eh big guy. no matter if every body around you is doing the same thing that does not make it right a true man stands against the tide .and if you got caught they wont call the cops .

horsetrader
01-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I am sure you have good intention at heart but this is a bad idea it is there right but not yous to stop them pm the horse trader has a passion for peoples rights eh big guy. no matter if every body around you is doing the same thing that does not make it right a true man stands against the tide .and if you got caught they wont call the cops .

Ya what ever (a true man knows when to ignore those who know nothing)

fish farmer
01-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Theyre burbot, disgusting creatures pretty well only good for bear bait. Oh and BGSH, do some research on Gulls, they're not all over populated, in fact many gulls are an at-risk species, thats why we cant shoot them like we can crows and magpies.

avb3
01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Theyre burbot, disgusting creatures pretty well only good for bear bait. Oh and BGSH, do some research on Gulls, they're not all over populated, in fact many gulls are an at-risk species, thats why we cant shoot them like we can crows and magpies.

What? Have you ever eaten one?

Ugly, no question.

Hard to skin, yup.

But once you get past the upchuck factor, they have beautiful white meat, that approaches lobster quality when cooked.

Trouble is, the fish is 30% head, 50% guts, but the rest is the good stuff.

Penner
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I've seen this before. This has been going on for years. Makes me sick.

ak-71
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Not any uglier than a catfish, and easier to skin. I can't see why the meat is so highly rated, but my whole family does.
I still don't undestand why burbot should be treated any different than any other game fish, I assume they have other "by catch" walleyes, pike they wouldn't just let it rot on ice. Is there a limit on how much they can "by catch" the burbot?

fish farmer
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
What? Have you ever eaten one?

Ugly, no question.

Hard to skin, yup.

But once you get past the upchuck factor, they have beautiful white meat, that approaches lobster quality when cooked.

Trouble is, the fish is 30% head, 50% guts, but the rest is the good stuff.

I will gladly let everyone else target them same as whitefish. Keeps more walleye and perch in the lakes for me.

Dan Foss
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Not any uglier than a catfish, and easier to skin. I can't see why the meat is so highly rated, but my whole family does.
I still don't undestand why burbot should be treated any different than any other game fish, I assume they have other "by catch" walleyes, pike they wouldn't just let it rot on ice. Is there a limit on how much they can "by catch" the burbot?

There just is no commercial market for them(not sure why). They are currently not considered a "game fish" so it is different when it come to by catch for walleye/pike.

Mike_W
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
There just is no commercial market for them(not sure why). They are currently not considered a "game fish" so it is different when it come to by catch for walleye/pike.

I was pretty sure they were listed as a game fish in Alberta a few years back (when you started seeing limits for them in the fishing regulations.)

Smokey
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I went pike fishing at Last Mountain Lake, don`t know why we were not targetting walleye. Anyhoo, we had a nice place to ice fish on blizzardy day, and caught four of these ugly buggers. Well I cut them up and they were average for taste at best, could not stand the consistancy of the meat though. I`ve had lobster straight outta the Ocean, and I don`t agree with the comparison, granted I need to have a few more feeds maybe.

Anyways the waste is wrong, bugs the heck outta me. I don`t imagine guys who commercially fish generally are that dumn to leave such a mess. I don`t condone the cutting of the nets, don`t agree with that approach. It would not surprise me if they get that at some point. Unfortunately gives commercial fisherman a bad name.

Dan Foss
01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I was pretty sure they were listed as a game fish in Alberta a few years back (when you started seeing limits for them in the fishing regulations.)

Ya but I still dont think it is officially recognized as a game fish by the government.

For anyone who is interested, this is the particular regulation from page 19 of the regs book:

Additional Restrictions:
 The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).

Drewski Canuck
01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I am stuck at the office, or I would give this a whirl. CALL UP SRD and advise that you want a Found Dead Wildlife Permit for the Burbot left on the ice. This is available for deer, etc. I wonder what the reply would be? If you say I want to take 50 burbs for friends and family, rather than leave pollution on the ice, what could they possibly say?

Drewski

horsetrader
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I am stuck at the office, or I would give this a whirl. CALL UP SRD and advise that you want a Found Dead Wildlife Permit for the Burbot left on the ice. This is available for deer, etc. I wonder what the reply would be? If you say I want to take 50 burbs for friends and family, rather than leave pollution on the ice, what could they possibly say?

Drewski

I don't think that will work they were on the ice last year I think their gone now lol

Mike_W
01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing .....show up when they are abandoning them / checking there nets and cashin on 30 or so burbot for the freezer!!

fishinggeek
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Not shure why people think these fish are so ugly. Since i was a kid i can remember fishing for these in dief and always thought they were the coolest fish, Never did i think id catch the mother of them all. lol.
Dug up a length of the W/R back in 2010. Cant believe the girth of her. What a TANK. Now im itching to get a crack at another beast.
Thought id share this pic, havent ever shown it to anyone except IGFA.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/what-a-tank.jpg

BeeGuy
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
what eventually happens with those record fish?

fishinggeek
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
what eventually happens with those record fish?

If you mean the WR burbot and WR rainbow.
the WR rainbow got sent to California to get weighed and tested, then got mounted there.
the WR burbot got sent to Toronto for the same, and then sent to Advanced Taxidermy in toronto as we speak still getting a fiberglass replica made. I cant wait for Burbot mount:sHa_shakeshout:. They said the burbot mount should be ready march sometime. Cross my fingers.

Mike_W
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
A few years back Advanced did a replica mount of a pacific Spring Salmon for me it turned out great......they do wicked work ....please post pics when you get the mount back!!

walking buffalo
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Glad to see this thread is back. Sad that the issue remains.

It's time for a Burbot Fishing Tournament. :47b20s0:

PCR might be a good place, lots of fisherpeople, and close to Major Media.

Picture this.

Media coverage of 300 recreational fisherpeople catching thousands of Burbot, with all the fish being piled together, and left to rot.

The story explaining the issue and accompanying photos would finally get the Province's attention.

Previously posted?

The problem lies with the Fish Processing monopoly, not the commercial fisherman.

" I am a commercial fisher, Wasting Burbot."

I am a commercial fisher, those were not my nets. At present there is no market for burbot as we are forced to sell our commercial catch to the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation and they refuse to buy burbot. We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them. This particular season has a zone that makes it especially difficult to avoid the burbot and still catch the targetted whitefish. There is a commercial quota on the burbot that is never reached as we are usually very good at avoiding this species. As commercial fishers we would like to see anglers keep as many burbot as they can catch. These burbot are extreme predators that are very adept at feeding upon walleye. We have dressed spring burbot and found as many as 60 walleye fingerlings in the belly of one burbot. In our commercial nets we can catch many whitefish with the very odd walleye, the walleye are usually no good as they have spent the night in the belly of a burbot and are partially digested. As for changing the law it would prevent people from seeing the wasted fish but these fish are being eaten by birds coyotees and the like, if the were hauled off of the lake they would needlessly fill our local landfills and truly be waisted. No easy solution here but please know that it is never the intention of a commercial fisher to waste fish.

Most groups that buy commercially caught fish are aware that we have no market for this species, they are also aware that burbot are not good keepers.

We are always looking for markets for this species and we have found markets but the F.F.M.C. has refused to allow us to sell into those markets.

The act that governs the sale of commercially caught fish does not allow us to sell for resale unless they are being sold to the F.F.M.C.
Perhaps we should use this forum to tell people when we will be fishing on lakes that are apt to have a high by-catch of burbot. anyone wanting these fish need only to talk to a fisher, most of us would be happy to give permission and reciepts for as many pounds as anyone would want.

http://career.kcdc.ca/nlmc/minutes/nov2009/nov2009summary.pdf

Creighton Regional Development Corp. is supplying products to a health food entrepreneur from Chicago. With this company’s support, the Corp. recommenced a burbot liver oil project as a way to revitalize commercial fishing and processing in northern Saskatchewan. Burbot fillets are filleted and processed and the oil from the livers is extracted in a project with Creighton Community School students. The Corp. has set up as a buying depot in eastside communities to supply the health food company with up to 1,000 pounds of rosehips.

In 2003, the Saskatchewan Commercial Fisheries Ltd. (SCFL) raised money from the fishermen and government agencies to build a fish processing plant in Saskatchewan. However, plans for the processing plant did not proceed and the fishermen’s $600,000 has been kept in trust. In early 2009, the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation (FFMC) informed them that it was not supportive of providing a dual marketing system for Saskatchewan. In consequence, Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment sent a letter to the Federal Minister stating Saskatchewan’s intent to withdraw from FFMC marketing system by April 1, 2011. SCFL anticipates that, by the end of November, it will have raised the extra funding needed to proceed with construction of a processing plant in spring 2010. Buyers continue to contact SCFL to see when product will be available.

I'd like to bring to you to the folder I presented you with, with my paperwork here. If you take a look at the very beginning, you'll note that there's an Arthur Andersen report. This was put together after my company spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to get into the fish business, trying to take the fish species that the corporation didn't want. One of them happened to be burbot, and believe it or not, it's a codfish; it's an inland freshwater codfish. After a couple of years of going up and trying to market this product, we basically got shut down, and the reasons are here. Arthur Andersen gave the reasons why we weren't succeeding. I'd like to just comment on a few of these.

If you take a look on page 2 of this Arthur Andersen report, you'll see three points at the bottom.

It starts off: “The Real Canadian Superstore has introduced maria'— or freshwater cod —“as President's Choice `Fresh water Cod' in its Ottawa and Quebec stores from December to April.”

It took a year and a half for me to develop that market with Superstore, going back and forth to Toronto, spending a lot of money.

One Superstore was offered a price by me, which they accepted, when I had to go off and get a special dealer's permit from the corporation.
The corporation found out who my market was going to. They automatically got somebody in Superstore and low-balled my price.

Feb.17 2010.
In a historic move members of the Northwest Territories Fishermen’s Federation voted last week to leave the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation (FFMC).

Gust
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM

They change in taste if flash frozen or frozen,, which is weird as cod is frozen,, maybe it's the oil content, who knows but what a waste of good fish'n chips fish. I hate seeing this thread.

Guy on a Buffalo
01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
The biologists would have likely been on the lake when the nets were pulled. If you want action send it to the newspaper, every newspaper you can think of. I have sent a link for this thread to the Edmonton Sun and my mla George Vanderburg. Disgusting waste.:mad3:

Good!

Big Red 250
01-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I've seen this many times with suckers and burbot, bigger piles than that even. Happens all across the prairie's that I know of. Maybe 'gatorhunter' will reply as he's a CO over in Manitoba. He must have some insight on this topic, even tho these pic's are from Alberta.

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
ok lets clarify we r ok with the commercial fishery just not the waste of bye catch or like my self repulsed at the wholesale slaughter of any fish species all commercial fisheried have a lesser or greater # of bye catch tuna use to have dolphin as a bye catch salmon had steelhead. I care I told fisher men that what they were doing was wrong they laughed. I called fins and skins they said not their problem. called mla nothing he can do not our riding. so one has no recourse ling are not cuddly dont look good on a t-shirt will never have a movie. the few that care will never make a differance except the radicals who would end all sports fishing in to the bargain probably. sad state of affairs

horsetrader
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Not shure why people think these fish are so ugly. Since i was a kid i can remember fishing for these in dief and always thought they were the coolest fish, Never did i think id catch the mother of them all. lol.
Dug up a length of the W/R back in 2010. Cant believe the girth of her. What a TANK. Now im itching to get a crack at another beast.

You sure thats not a baby orca.......lol

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
You sure thats not a baby orca.......lol

do you mean the 10ton sea living mammals or am I misunderstood

horsetrader
01-09-2012, 06:15 PM
do you mean the 10ton sea living mammals or am I misunderstood

I believe your misunderstood alot

Willowtrail
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
i believe your misunderstood alot

lol

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
in this pic we can clearly see the coloration is wrong and if I am correct the tape is in inches not feet u sir need glasses

ak-71
01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Good catch on a coloration :)

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
sir this is your method operandi not mine u dont like it nether do I . you do not like your own medicine that is all.this thread is abought the wholesale slaughter of our resources and I hope putting if to an end. showing you an example if how you make people feel is all that was intended

ak-71
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry, it must be my English. I think the wasted burbot (or any fish) is a shame too

PS. It's still an unbelievably impressive fish on the photo! Congratulations!

horsetrader
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
sir this is your method operandi not mine u dont like it nether do I . you do not like your own medicine that is all.this thread is abought the wholesale slaughter of our resources and I hope putting if to an end. showing you an example if how you make people feel is all that was intended

Personally don't care how you feel or what you care you mean nothing to me. as far as getting my own medicine could not care about that either because again don't care what you think so why would what you say bother me. same reason I did not acknowledge your apology it means nothing. so you are dismissed.

Just to get this back on thread it is to bad that the ling are wasted iI like them a lot..

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:53 PM

this is the size all those wasted fish may have achieved .could you please post the measurements of your lunker ling ,and if you dont mind your rig used in taming this behemoth

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
good to know if I ever get the pleasure of your company

walking buffalo
01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
For those who will actually contact F&W with their concerns.

Besko, Matt
Acting Head, Allocation and Use
Fisheries Allocation and Use
Sustainable Resource Development

matt.besko@gov.ab.ca

Bodden, Ken
Provincial Commercial Fisheries Specialist

ken.bodden@gov.ab.ca

fishinggeek
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
this is the size all those wasted fish may have achieved .could you please post the measurements of your lunker ling ,and if you dont mind your rig used in taming this behemoth

Dimensions were 40.5inch length, by 26.5inch girth. Caught on a 6 inch herring just off bottom. Caught this fish at 9am in the morning. Drove from edmonton to dief friday night that trip, fished from 11pm to 4am, had a 3 hour nap in my veh, then landed her 3 hrs later. I WAS WIPPED. but it was all worth it. hahaha.
I got a 19.5lber last year at the end of march also. Now im really itching to get out. lol. Gonna start planning my trip i guess. Start dropping some hints to the wife so she gets the hint and lets me take off for the weekend.

ivegonefishing
01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
This doesn't say much for the commercial fishermen and F&W when it comes to having a conscience, morals, and ethics.

Learn from these mistakes and ensure things like this don't happen again; or
one day after man has run his course over the planet maybe then he will ask where did we go wrong?

I will be contacting my MLA!!!:sign0176:

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
For those who will actually contact F&W with their concerns.

Besko, Matt
Acting Head, Allocation and Use

matt.besko@gov.ab.ca

Bodden, Ken
Provincial Commercial Fisheries Specialist

ken.bodden@gov.ab.ca

thank you this could be of use. however my last encounter with these politic types made me feel they were slippery in fact worse than a ling.thank you for this post

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Dimensions were 40.5inch length, by 26.5inch girth. Caught on a 6 inch herring just off bottom. Caught this fish at 9am in the morning. Drove from edmonton to dief friday night that trip, fished from 11pm to 4am, had a 3 hour nap in my veh, then landed her 3 hrs later. I WAS WIPPED. but it was all worth it. hahaha.
I got a 19.5lber last year at the end of march also. Now im really itching to get out. lol. Gonna start planning my trip i guess. Start dropping some hints to the wife so she gets the hint and lets me take off for the weekend.

do you use bait runners, bite alarms, is feeding allowed in sask? ?

Big Schnizz
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
If you mean the WR burbot and WR rainbow.
the WR rainbow got sent to California to get weighed and tested, then got mounted there.
the WR burbot got sent to Toronto for the same, and then sent to Advanced Taxidermy in toronto as we speak still getting a fiberglass replica made. I cant wait for Burbot mount:sHa_shakeshout:. They said the burbot mount should be ready march sometime. Cross my fingers.

Is it not possible to do a skin mount with a world record? Or will no one do a burbot skin mount?

bain
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
A waste of fresh water lobster!!! changes have to be made.

Jimboy
01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for putting up the pics. Disgusting! F'n Disgusting!

No point having two threads on this, and these pictures say it best. This link is to the Queen's Printer, this is the Act that must be amended to stop this from being legal.

WildCats, those pictures are invaluable in closing this loophole to abuse. Thanks for taking them, and sharing them. Please keep them posted in the photobucket account so others can see them, and forward the link to the government with their complaint/request for a change to this law.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post up some email address where people can voice their concerns, pictures included.

Section 2 says game fish does not apply to burbot.

BGSH
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
What a waste, you could feed a whole village of people with all these wasted burbs, shame on the Alberta government for letting this happen.

Drewski Canuck
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
There is a pet food outfit up in Morinville that uses fish for cat food and dog food supplement as I understand. Can't they use Ling? It would mean some money for the commies and no waste on the ice.

Drewski

walking buffalo
01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Section 2 says game fish does not apply to burbot.

that's what I was pointing out in the legislation. Burbot ARE a game fish, but are exempt from the No wastage laws.

Section 57-2-a is the Offensive Offal statute.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779745258

To clarify, Burbot are legally listed as a game fish, but this section of the Fisheries Act allows this to happen. All that needs to be done to stop this is to have SRD request parliament ( legislature :))to amend section 57- 2-a.

There are other mistakes in the quote. ;)

Kim473
01-10-2012, 05:38 AM
I sent a letter to Brian Mason with that pic last year. I got a response that he will look into it. Keep me happy letter. Got no reply back after that. Heard nothing on the news. The Government does not care! For anything to happen it would take 10s of thousands of letters to mutiple gov officials. If you look closely and zoom in those pics you can see what looks like a few walleye too.

fishinggeek
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Is it not possible to do a skin mount with a world record? Or will no one do a burbot skin mount?

Advanced said that a skin mount on this type of fish will not last, they have done only one other one in a fiberglass mold and said it turned out awesome with all the different patterns on the fish. If they do a good job i will be getting a 2nd mount and you can only do that with a fiberglass mold.

i caught this fish with a rod and reel. And i think baiting the area is ok in sask, but im not shure on that, there is no need to bait the area once you find the burbot ball, (where there spawning). whatever moves or is stinky they will eat.

figmentam
01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
when i first found this thread i was at a loss of words. i dont see how anyone can do this to the fish. so what if you get burbot and dont want them. you could atleast put them back for someone who does want them. people always wonder why species keep going extinct on our planet, this is exactly why it keeps happening. so many people have no concern about how there actions will effect the environment. in my opinion the people who did this to those fish should be stripped down and thrown out on the ice just like those fish were. it is absoultly disgusting how those fish were treated. this is one of the reasons i want to become a f&w officer. i have currently made 17 phone calls to fish and wild life offices that deal with the location. i have also been incontact with albertas government multiple times.

ak-71
01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Netting killed them I assume, can't go back. I doubt it will make burbot extinct either, but it's a shame to just waste a good eating fish that also has catch limits for all normal people.

C Taylor
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
If they were using fish traps instead of nets this wouldn't happen. Cold Lake has done this and has really helped the lake trout population.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
If they were using fish traps instead of nets this wouldn't happen. Cold Lake has done this and has really helped the lake trout population.

I guess burbs are a sport fish of Alberta

http://www.albertasportfishing.com/sport_fish.php

fishinggeek
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
when i first found this thread i was at a loss of words. i dont see how anyone can do this to the fish. so what if you get burbot and dont want them. you could atleast put them back for someone who does want them. people always wonder why species keep going extinct on our planet, this is exactly why it keeps happening. so many people have no concern about how there actions will effect the environment. in my opinion the people who did this to those fish should be stripped down and thrown out on the ice just like those fish were. it is absoultly disgusting how those fish were treated. this is one of the reasons i want to become a f&w officer. i have currently made 17 phone calls to fish and wild life offices that deal with the location. i have also been incontact with albertas government multiple times.

I have seen first hand when i was 5-10 years old, the population of burbot go from thriving, to extinct in one of my favorite perch lakes. I used to remember 20 years ago, driving on Blackstrap lake in sask, and passing dead burbot after dead burbot, left to waste. DNR had to hand out flyers to fisherman while they were fishing and show them how to clean them and cook them. Now in the past 10 years i havent heard of one being caught. :angry3:
I hope something is done about the waste, at least find a way to use the dead burbot somehow.

thrude1
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
"letters of disgust" sent to MLA. I feel commercial fishing has no place in Alberta until we the public are allowed to catch and keep all species

mapleleafman3
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Disgusting. Makes me want to drive out there and steal their nets.

TheFishHunter
01-17-2012, 12:19 AM

Bump to keep this active...

IR_mike
01-17-2012, 12:39 AM

A better solution would be to find out who is fisheing along with the where and when commercial fishing is happening in your area and if time permits getting some free fish. :)

I sure am enjoying my free fish.

Nikanit
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Holy crap!!!! Such waste!!! My Kerry knows how to fillet them and they are quite tasty! I guess the ravens & other birds will clean it up, but really...what a waste!

Gust
01-17-2012, 10:19 AM
We need to create T-Shirts showing off the mighty burb just like the trouters do,, and get the fish the recognition it deserves. Personally, I think they are far more interesting looking than a lot of fish and we really need to get this stupid need for applying aesthetic beauty to the flora and fauna of our world. Yes a trout is colourful and appealing, but so is a burb, or sucker for that matter,, too many fiscists at SRD I guess.

dagermouth
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
this makes me sick i really enjoy both catching and eating them, such a waste:mad3::mad3:

ndw
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
That is a big shame, you see that anywhere burbot are, but you also see this at other lakes as well. Two years ago at Fickle Lake had a problem also. They took the whitefish, walleye and perch, but left the northern pike on the ice. If they are netting, they should take everything and waste nothing. This gives us sportsmen a bad name also, even though they are not sportsmen..

greylynx
01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Before everyone goes and fills their boots, a lot of this burbot is actually used.

The Hutterites like to use these fish, and yes they get permission from SRD, to feed the fish to their pigs and chickens.

Now, Does anyone wonder why some of your store purchased bacon sometimes tastes a bit fish like?

Corey_m
01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Its amazing what (Legislation) people are aloud to get way with. It makes me sick.

fish gunner
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Before everyone goes and fills their boots,

most on the form think you mean foot ware lol lol

WayneChristie
01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
We need to create T-Shirts showing off the mighty burb just like the trouters do,, and get the fish the recognition it deserves. Personally, I think they are far more interesting looking than a lot of fish and we really need to get this stupid need for applying aesthetic beauty to the flora and fauna of our world. Yes a trout is colourful and appealing, but so is a burb, or sucker for that matter,, too many fiscists at SRD I guess.

ugly is the new beautiful! Id rather catch a burb than a trout anyday, but thats just me. taste a lot better too. if any of you netters have burbs you dont want, let me know I will come pick up a truckload :sHa_shakeshout:

BigBuck$
01-17-2012, 11:17 PM
What a waste but it's not just the commercial guys doing this. That picture shows a a bunch of fish in one spot that were left to waste but there are lots of recreational angles just throwing them on the ice and leaving them as well. I have no idea why but I have come across it more than once.

anthony5
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm with Wayne, but not sure a truck load will be enough:sHa_shakeshout:. Caught my first burbot (ling) trolling for lake trout in 65 to 80 feet of water in northern ont with steel line, damn near dropped the rod in the lake when it surfaced(lockness monster):scared0015:. Aunt cooked it up, baked of course, served with hot butter(poor mans lobster) never looked back, chin whiskers or not! There has to be a way we can help out these netters do the best they or we can do with this bicatch if our so called gov gurus will not:angry3: See what I can do about T-shirts with our castaway not so PRETTY fish.