PDA

View Full Version : First day out.

Stump thumper
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Went out today on the Upper Red Deer river, was my first time out this season. Was only out for little over an hour and caught a nice brown and a really nice bully, both caught in the same hole. Hope it is a sign of the summer ahead.:D

fishwithnoknots
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Nice! I love fishing the Red Deer river. That's great news this early.

Stump thumper
04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah for sure. The river runs really close to my house so I went out there again today at around 4:30 tried the same hole for a few casts with no luck but moved down stream a bit to another spot I have had good luck at and in 5 or 6 casts I had fish latch on 3 casts. Fought them all for a short while but unfortunately they all got off:mad2:. Oh well still very happy with the first day. I never fished this early last year but fished the upper Red lots last summer and it was very slow until the fall so hopefully this year will be better. Actually I think it already is..:)

fishstix
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
What were you using ? Was there much ice?
Fishstix!!

Stump thumper
04-01-2010, 07:59 PM
ooh, I don't know if I can release that info on what I was using.. aah just kidding. My lure of choice is a rapala countdown#7 brown trout minnow, seems to work good for me, I like this lure for the Bow as well. As far as ice, in spots there is some along the banks and earlier in the day there was a thin layer further out until the warmer part of the day. Where the ice was thicker it was nice because I could stand on it and I was out to where I would normally wade out to, but there is less every day I would guess in a few more days it will almost be all gone.

Cheers..