PDA

View Full Version : first spring NSR Walleye

thorne
04-02-2010, 03:52 PM
This is the first one for me this spring...got another just like it so I opped out of the photo! Soon open water will be everywhere!!

mooseknuckle
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Nice work thats a decent walley. Perfect to day for it too. So nice. I had the three little ones all day the boys are a bit young yet to take fishing, but they helped me with some yard work, they fell aspleep in the swing I was on the end of a rake and a dozen beers, oh man this weather gets a guy stoked to head out!!!

Brock1
04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
thorne, were you in the edmonton area bro? and were you picky riggin it or casting? thx..

thorne
04-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Kinda in between edmonton and fort sask, and I was pitching booya spinner baits for the first one and the next one I hooked on a rubber jig.

lyallpeder
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you know of any place to launch a canoe into the river near fort sask?

Geezle
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Finally got myself one probably a touch smaller than the one in the pic around 6:30, just before I headed home, so I managed to not get skunked :cool:

Good to see you again Zan, and thanks for the 'finder :wave:

ghostguy6
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice looking fish. It was nice to meet you thorne.

Jay, glad you didnt get skunked.

Geezle
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
And who was the guy with the new baitcaster out there? A forum member I think? :confused:

pikehunter1989
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Do you know of any place to launch a canoe into the river near fort sask?

Down in west park you can launch a smaller boat. There's signs around to kinda help with finding it

lyallpeder
04-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Down in west park you can launch a smaller boat. There's signs around to kinda help with finding it

thanks

thorne
04-02-2010, 09:19 PM
well done Geez...was it the bait rig or what?? Good to meet you guys as well! Again, that pic of the Berg was AWSOME!!

Geezle
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
well done Geez...was it the bait rig or what?? Good to meet you guys as well! Again, that pic of the Berg was AWSOME!!
Nope, not on the bait rig...gave that up real quick once the ice really started coming down the line. Got it on the ol' yellow jig with rubber tail :)

Kenilworth
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
And who was the guy with the new baitcaster out there? A forum member I think? :confused:

Hey geez that is me, :lol: have been reading lots of nice posts here and decided to have a tag today, hopely I can contribute something. It is so nice to meet you guys there today, wonderful time.

Hi BBJ :lol:, thanks for teaching me how to cast a baitcaster.

It is great to hear that you caught something eventually Geez!

Thorne, they are nice walleyes, congrats!

See you there some day!:evilgrin:

buckmaster
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM
This is the first one for me this spring...got another just like it so I opped out of the photo! Soon open water will be everywhere!!

Nice walleye! I caught one from that same spot about 3yrs ago that was definately over 10lbs.

DuckBrat
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure thats a Saugeye (Walleye/Sauger Hybrid), congrats. The eye and the vertical barring give it away.

Kim473
04-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure thats a Saugeye (Walleye/Sauger Hybrid), congrats. The eye and the vertical barring give it away.

I think its a walleye as Saugers are very dark in colour.

Geezle
04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey geez that is me, :lol: have been reading lots of nice posts here and decided to have a tag today, hopely I can contribute something. It is so nice to meet you guys there today, wonderful time.

It is great to hear that you caught something eventually Geez!

Thorne, they are nice walleyes, congrats!

See you there some day!:evilgrin:

Cool welcome aboard :wave:

Sorry I didn't introduce myself...I was a little slow on the draw in realizing you were another board member :o :lol:

troller
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Cool welcome aboard :wave:

Sorry I didn't introduce myself...I was a little slow on the draw in realizing you were another board member :o :lol:

That and the fact the big blades coming out of the top of your hands tends to scare people away :ashamed:

:p

thorne
04-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Good to see you kenilworth, definately good to meet you, and sorry guys that, and the other ones were solid walleye, pics taken on a cell phone, with strong sun light and shadows can be a little deciving especially when reduced to 600 x 435ish....or maybe I PHOTO SHOPPED IT!!!:evilgrin:

DuckBrat
04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I think its a walleye as Saugers are very dark in colour.

Saugers have barring that actually gets darker the further south you go, almost black in the mid to southern states. In the NSR however the majority of the dark barring on Sauger is lighter brown with the rest of the body being golden (almost like a Walleye). Remember to this is a hybrid fish showing characteristics from both species so it may retain the lighter color of the walleye but show (like the picture ) hints of barring along the sides.

thorne
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Sure why not, Hybrid, pure blood, I really don't care....I pulled it out of the wate and had a great time. It swam away no worse for wear and we had a great day...unlike the rubber glove that un fortunately did't make it.....Im pretty sure it was a condom/boot hybrid due to is foul odour and slight discoloration exhibited on the outter extremities.....;)

mooseknuckle
04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Sure why not, Hybrid, pure blood, I really don't care....I pulled it out of the wate and had a great time. It swam away no worse for wear and we had a great day...unlike the rubber glove that un fortunately did't make it.....Im pretty sure it was a condom/boot hybrid due to is foul odour and slight discoloration exhibited on the outter extremities.....;)

Condom/boot hybrid?? mmmmm delicious:sick:

thorne
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Thinking of frying the glove in garlic and butter to improve the flavour, and in all honesty Duckbrat does have a valid point, good observation.

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Glad to know the big guy is still alive! He's been very quiet around here lately.

#1 son and I may have to head up there some weekend. Maybe BBJ can teach us how to use our baitcasters, and there is a forum member up there that I need to meet in person . . . and haven't had the opportunity to yet.

You had to go to Lloyd and miss the Gull gathering, didn't you Jay? :lol:

DuckBrat
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Once again, congrats on a unique fish.

Safety D
04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Im up north here. Can a guy get his river boat out yet on the NSR. Damn 50 street launch will be closed for a few more weeks I bet ???

Geezle
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
That and the fact the big blades coming out of the top of your hands tends to scare people away :ashamed:

:p

:lol:

I put them away when I'm around strangers :o

Geezle
04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Glad to know the big guy is still alive! He's been very quiet around here lately.

#1 son and I may have to head up there some weekend. Maybe BBJ can teach us how to use our baitcasters, and there is a forum member up there that I need to meet in person . . . and haven't had the opportunity to yet.

You had to go to Lloyd and miss the Gull gathering, didn't you Jay? :lol:

Haha yeah, that was a bit of poor timing, but one of these days our paths will cross :wave:

The sad thing is I'm considering going back for another stint in a month or so after I get moved :scared:

Piers
04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
very nice! Heading up there on Saturday, hope I can pull a few in as well!