PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake at Snipe Lake

shark
04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
At Snipe Lake by Valleyview 4 vehicles went through the ice today into 10 feet of water 100 feet from shore. I would like to know is there a penalty or fine that the owner of the vehicle has to pay to Alberta environment for contaminating the lake?
When you drill your hole and see the ice is more like mush than ice, is that not a good indication that you should not be driving out. These guys fished all day with the vehicles out on the ice and they fell through late in the day. Another thing Ive always paid attention to is when there is no longer water sitting on top of the ice, this is a sign that a vehicle is not safe on the ice.

Hope these guys get their vehicles out ok but maybe a lesson is to be learned here, if the water was any deeper it could have had a more horrific ending

ULTRAlite
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
:rolleye2: Pretty crazy

Chris K
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
We were there yesturday, and there was one really bad crack that opened up about 8 inches wide. There were also several smaller ones that were up to 3 inches wide. Where we drove on it was alright, but the access got pretty soft when we were leaving, so we got off the lake at the campsite. Definately the last day for driving on with a truck. Getting those vehicles out will be tough as the ice won't be getting any better.

Chris K

chrispee
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
i read somewhere that it can be costly to salvage your vehicile from the bottom of the lake...i do think alot of insurance companies cover that kind of stupidy...unfortunately

Paul C
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I wonder what if AE gives fines for that? I heard there cost of removing a vechile from a lake can be billed directly to you. Yikes:rolleyes: Thats scary !
Is the cost based upon the amount of oils that get into the water ?:eek:

tatonkagp
04-03-2010, 12:17 AM
it should, I hope its wasn't a friend of mine that was one of the silly buggers, I think you should be held responsible for being careless. I truely hope that the impact is very little with regards to hydrocarbons in the lake.

ice
04-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Good Thread.
Now im not going to preach here cuz i drove out on utikuma and Mcmillan a week ago.
Now they had plenty of ice. 18+inches solid.
But here is a good wake up call to all anglers.
Whether it be early mid or lat winter/early spring
Any time of the year.
Its a good practice to drill a dormant hole near your parked vehicle so you can moniter the water coming onto the ice diruing the day.
You can watch. And if theres water coming onto the ice. then your vehicle is sinking.
Move it another 100 feet ahead. and also monitor it there. Because you never know.
but im guessing these guys where all close together...
Eighther way.
Be Safe People.
Remember it dosent take a sunken vehicle to wreck it all.
All it takes is a cracked block. And that can happen from crossing a heave with 2 feet of ice.
Be Safe. Follow Paths.
And Keeps Vehicles a Distance.
Im Guessing this is a case they parked too close. And Didnt watch.

Ice:confused:

ice
04-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Also it has no deal with water on the ice.
Where the ice cracks. It sinks makign it uneaven. So any water melted on the ice during the day is funneld into these cracks and any ecess is frozen overnight.
So that is no baring at all.
Thats just this time of year tho.
Flood Water is a complete diffrent story.
Flood Water can Be Deep Making The Ice in these Pools Unsafe At All Times Of year. So Be Carefull
Im not saying stay out oif the flood waters. but bee weary of the deeper pools.
if i could find the cid id post it. :mad3:
ill post it if i find it.

ice
04-03-2010, 01:38 AM
and also you arent fined.
but your obligated to pay the bill to fish the vehicle out.
Sorry about the tripple post

ice
04-03-2010, 01:51 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2F0okvGbFFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2F0okvGbFFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dont know if embed works or not.
But heres the floodwater sink if not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0okvGbFFQ

ice
04-03-2010, 02:01 AM
it should, I hope its wasn't a friend of mine that was one of the silly buggers, I think you should be held responsible for being careless. I truely hope that the impact is very little with regards to hydrocarbons in the lake.

:lol::lol::lol:
Of Course Your Held Responsible.
its Your Vehicle.
You pay.
And Really.
A Vehicle Polluting a lake?
Get Real. They're Built to not pollute the environment,
They Have Tight seals. And the few that have cracked lines or gasgets.
That minute amount of oil. That "Might" Get out. isnt going to have any impact on the lake. except for the few that come close and come into direct contact with the oils' and or fluids.
The Lake is Fine.
If your really gona get that deep into it. you might as well get all hardcore on the mercury, Lead, Uranium, Radium, or Arsenic. That are in these lakes.
Cuz thall kill "You" And the Fish alot faster then a little oil will.

Its another case of wabamun all over again.
Sure ther was a bunker Fuel/oil Spill.
Was there toxicological effects? No.
Theres a problem with reproduction. Wich is also pulling out of.
Is Why Its Catch And Release.

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 07:27 AM
i read somewhere that it can be costly to salvage your vehicile from the bottom of the lake...i do think alot of insurance companies cover that kind of stupidy...unfortunately

I actually think it is a good thing that many insurance companies cover the salvage. I suspect that more vehicles will be salvaged, and they'll be salvaged more promptly, if insurance is footing the bill. Hopefully that results in less contamination.

shark
04-03-2010, 08:59 AM
These vehicles were on trails and driving off the ice when they went through, and there was water on the ice during the day and in the course of about 2 hours all the top water dissapeared through the ice (real good sign of rotten ice)

mudpie
04-03-2010, 09:25 AM
how was the fishing?

seahawkfisher
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
i think it's because everybody found out about the good fishing there; too many trucks on the ice. never wouldda happened if word didn't get out about that place :evilgrin:

sure hope everyone was ok :scared:

iliketrout
04-03-2010, 09:35 AM
There's no fine, but you have to pay for any cleanup if fuel or oil etc gets into the lake.

I know there's already a thread on insurance, but TD Meloche Monnex insurance covers the vehicle repairs/replacement, and also the cost of removing the vehicle from the lake and any claeanup. At least on the plan that I have.

KyleM
04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Of Course Your Held Responsible.
its Your Vehicle.
You pay.
And Really.
A Vehicle Polluting a lake?
Get Real. They're Built to not pollute the environment,
They Have Tight seals. And the few that have cracked lines or gasgets.
That minute amount of oil. That "Might" Get out. isnt going to have any impact on the lake. except for the few that come close and come into direct contact with the oils' and or fluids.
The Lake is Fine.
If your really gona get that deep into it. you might as well get all hardcore on the mercury, Lead, Uranium, Radium, or Arsenic. That are in these lakes.
Cuz thall kill "You" And the Fish alot faster then a little oil will.

Fantastic attitude.
I guess all the garbage they use on the roads that falls off the bottom of our trucks is not a huge issue either? Any amount of chemicals that fall into the lake is a big no-no if you ask me.

fishman
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I just got off the phone with a friend from valleyview that was fishing on snipe yesterday and he gave me the scoop on the incident yesterday.............two trucks went in the ice and they went and got a tractor to pull them out the tractor broke through in 4 feet of water and they had to get a cat to get him out they also got one of the trucks out but the other truck is in the water with only its cab showing

and the fishing was good by him with a 22# jack being caught a fair amount of perch and whites with the odd walleye

fishstix
04-03-2010, 11:42 AM
If your vehicle falls through the ice you have made a mistake. The vehicle owner should be held responsable. If its late in the season and you drive on the ice, you are foolish. There are enough pollutants in the water already.
I dont feel sorry for the shmucks that are too dumb to figure out that ice melts in the spring. Melting ice is weak. Vehicles are heavy.
Come on, wake up. Think.

Quit polluting.

FS!!

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
If your vehicle falls through the ice you have made a mistake. The vehicle owner should be held responsable.

And here I was thinking that you had been making so much sense lately!

We have insurance to cover mistakes. How many accidents aren't the result of a mistake? If insurance didn't cover mistakes there wouldn't be any point in having it: beyond theft.

I've had one accident (single vehicle) . . . and it was because I made a mistake.

KyleM
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I dont think insurance covers stupidity.

When you drive out on the ice you are well aware of the risks and you should be held accountable.

I dont believe insurance covers off-road use.....makes perfect sense to me.

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I dont think insurance covers stupidity.

It does. Trust me. I made a very stupid mistake (aren't most of them?).

fishstix
04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
And here I was thinking that you had been making so much sense lately!

We have insurance to cover mistakes. How many accidents aren't the result of a mistake? If insurance didn't cover mistakes there wouldn't be any point in having it: beyond theft.

I've had one accident (single vehicle) . . . and it was because I made a mistake.

Thanks D.A. Ive have been trying to make more sense lately. Ive also tried to lose the forked tounge. :tongue2: oops there it is again!
My point is that if you choose to drive on spring ice that has a tendancy to melt or break, you should be accountable for that action. This wasnt the first time a vehicle has fallen through the spring ice.
Its like this, If you and your fishin buddies were walking down the ice covered banks of a river and up ahead of you one of your friends breaks through. He stumbles a bit and his foot is wet. Well, a few things come to my mind. #1... Im not going to walk there; and #2... My friends wet foot is a bummer, but its his problem, he chose to walk there. Its not my responsibility to share the cost of new shoes.

I just dont like to hear about lakes being polluted and insurance rates skyrocketing because peolpe make less than smart choices.

Fishstix!!:sick:

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I just dont like to hear about lakes being polluted and insurance rates skyrocketing because peolpe make less than smart choices.

That certainly makes sense, and I agree that I don't like the thought of paying for someone's silliness through increased premiums.

At the same time I do appreciate the fact that our insurance company (ING) will cover the costs involved in recovery and replacement (we checked) under the two policies that we have through them. We've had both of our vehicles out on the ice this winter, and it is comforting to know that if we misjudge something we're covered :)

greywolffan
04-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Man that is every icefishermans worst nightmare. Mine anyway. Came close once at Iseogun many moons ago but never sunk my rig. Just hope no one was injured

Kim473
04-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Those people in that video are just stupid. 1 foot of water and drive thru it for a hundred yards? Duh And they put there entire family at risk too?

bisonhunter
04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=fishman;553007]I just got off the phone with a friend from valleyview that was fishing on snipe yesterday and he gave me the scoop on the incident yesterday.............two trucks went in the ice and they went and got a tractor to pull them out the tractor broke through in 4 feet of water and they had to get a cat to get him out they also got one of the trucks out but the other truck is in the water with only its cab showing

.......and the ford got stuck, then the chev got stuck, they all stayed stuck when the tractor showed up......:D
sorry i couldn't resist

baitfisher83
04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
If you're dumb enough to drive out on ice with a foot of water on it, you should go through. I wouldn't really wish it on anyone but how dumb can you be???And Insurance covering stupid things like that just makes people even less likely to avoid doing it. I hope they're all ok and have learned something from what happend...

psavard1@telus.net
04-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Fishman has his info correct .only two trucks went down and a kind local farmer came to help and sunk in 4 feet of water.none of the trucks broke in at 10 feet of water . It was 4 feet,and 250 yards of the boat launch.i helped cutting and breaking ice till midnight to get the tractor out . If anyone wants to see pics i can post them.

Paul C
04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Fishman has his info correct .only two trucks went down and a kind local farmer came to help and sunk in 4 feet of water.none of the trucks broke in at 10 feet of water . It was 4 feet,and 250 yards of the boat launch.i helped cutting and breaking ice till midnight to get the tractor out . If anyone wants to see pics i can post them. Please post photos- Thx:D

Geezle
04-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Please post photos- Thx:D

X2 people should see what can happen if you're not careful

Jamie
04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
The Poluting end of things seems more than a bit silly.

All the crap thats on the bottom of your truck will eventually end up in the river any how.

The only important thing here is that no one got hurt.

Polution off the bottom of a truck:lol::lol:
Give me a break

Jamie

ice
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Fantastic attitude.
I guess all the garbage they use on the roads that falls off the bottom of our trucks is not a huge issue either? Any amount of chemicals that fall into the lake is a big no-no if you ask me.

Way to take it out of context.
I Work with vehicles daily. so im quiet content with what i said.
They have tight seals. They're Meant to hold things "In"
Now what comes in off the road is somthing else.
But unless you sprting a cracked line. or a faulty gasget good luck.
Even in the case.
Whatever isnt realeased in the air isnt going to be released in the water,
im only showing a fact that the vehicle isnt going to harm the lake.
I know this. For a fact.
the only real pollutant is whats coming out of your pistons.
So take it easy,

Im not saying it "Cant" Im Just saying for the most part it wont.

Geezle
04-06-2010, 06:10 AM
I wonder if those guys were bright enough to turn off their engines before they hydrolocked :ashamed:

pikehunter1989
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

well for starters..what we use to haul our boats to a lake..ive never seen anyone with a completly closed trailer for a boat..it ends up on the boats out there aswell..and than when you get to the lake sometimes you have to put your truck half way in just to drop that boat in the water..and than you fire up the engine and put that small amount of pollution in the lake..

what im trying to say is if you think every "idiot" who puts his truck in the lake should be fined for the small amount of pollution that gets into the lake..i supposed every single person who opperates a boat with a engine on it should also be fined.

lakes clean themself unless there is a big oil spill like in the case of wabamun.but the goverment did their job in cleaning it up and now its just time for the earth and the lake to do the rest of it..the ground obsorbes alot of contaminants and help in filtering a lake..other wise where else would the remainder of that oil in wabamun go?

as for insurance coverage in these cases..i agree that insurance is there for the "stupid" mistakes that people make and for peace of mind.i do it saftely and i dont worry about driving on a lake and falling through because i know that im covered incase something does happen. just like driving down the street and the next left turn you make a guy runs a red and hits you..its still your fault because anyone making a left turn is at fault with no questions asked basically..but i failed to notice him so do i have to pay for my 30,000 truck and his 10,000 car out of my pocket..no because thats what insurance is there for..almost no matter how stupid of a mistake it is. 90 percent of the time insurance covers it. thats why you pay for it every month...anyways this just my two cents on the whole thing

mooseknuckle
04-06-2010, 04:30 PM

well for starters..what we use to haul our boats to a lake..ive never seen anyone with a completly closed trailer for a boat..it ends up on the boats out there aswell..and than when you get to the lake sometimes you have to put your truck half way in just to drop that boat in the water..and than you fire up the engine and put that small amount of pollution in the lake..

what im trying to say is if you think every "idiot" who puts his truck in the lake should be fined for the small amount of pollution that gets into the lake..i supposed every single person who opperates a boat with a engine on it should also be fined.

lakes clean themself unless there is a big oil spill like in the case of wabamun.but the goverment did their job in cleaning it up and now its just time for the earth and the lake to do the rest of it..the ground obsorbes alot of contaminants and help in filtering a lake..other wise where else would the remainder of that oil in wabamun go?

as for insurance coverage in these cases..i agree that insurance is there for the "stupid" mistakes that people make and for peace of mind.i do it saftely and i dont worry about driving on a lake and falling through because i know that im covered incase something does happen. just like driving down the street and the next left turn you make a guy runs a red and hits you..its still your fault because anyone making a left turn is at fault with no questions asked basically..but i failed to notice him so do i have to pay for my 30,000 truck and his 10,000 car out of my pocket..no because thats what insurance is there for..almost no matter how stupid of a mistake it is. 90 percent of the time insurance covers it. thats why you pay for it every month...anyways this just my two cents on the whole thing

X2 and insurance companies profits in 2009 exceeds 3 billion..... screw them they can pay for my new truck my fault or not. Don't forget the deductable most pay there insurance so much every month then when you need to use it oh yeah they'll make you pay more. It's how it has always worked.

Paul C
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
X2 and insurance companies profits in 2009 exceeds 3 billion..... screw them they can pay for my new truck my fault or not. Don't forget the deductable most pay there insurance so much every month then when you need to use it oh yeah they'll make you pay more. It's how it has always worked.
X3 Nothing like legal fraud for big profits...............:tongue2:

KyleM
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
What I said may have been overboard but....

If you were driving on the ice last weekend, I dont give a shat if your truck went through. You shouldnt have been out there. This stuff happens every year and it makes me wonder how smart some of our fellow anglers really are.

Iam used to fishing Lake Simcoe where knuckleheads go through on a regular basis in the spring and it infact does pollute the lake.

I dont much care for most hard water anglers to begin with. I hate looking at smoke butts, beer cans and food wrappers. The few dicks that do that ruin it for the rest of us.

Ken07AOVette
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM

If you were driving on the ice last weekend, I dont give a shat if your truck went through. You shouldnt have been out there. This stuff happens every year and it makes me wonder how smart some of our fellow anglers really are.

Iam used to fishing Lake Simcoe where knuckleheads go through on a regular basis in the spring and it infact does pollute the lake.

I dont much care for most hard water anglers to begin with. I hate looking at smoke butts, beer cans and food wrappers. The few dicks that do that ruin it for the rest of us.

I agree with the first 2 parts, but have not been put in the position you have been in for the last point. The lakes I go to have been garbage and drunken a-hole free.

If morons are going through the ice now, I am surprised they were smart enough to drive to the lake to begin with.

pikehunter1989
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
im not supporting it by any means or calling them smart..they are still big idiots and there are still to many out there..as for the garbage on the lake..ive never really experienced it either. worst ive seen is left overs from a fire.

Fishfinder
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM

Agreed, no sympathy here....they shoulda combined their thoughts and they woulda had an inkling, ten inklings and they woulda (might have) had a clue, ten clues and perhaps they woulda ( might have) had a combined idea. But clearly these folk r not the brightest leaves on the tree we r talkin about. Move their trucks or better yet, get em off the ice. O well, stupid is as stupid does.

Been ice fishing one year, only went out bout ten times. Seen at least 30 beer cans frozen into the ice on a few lakes, plenty of cig butts everywhere, Giant unmarked holes, holes filled with smelts frozen over (some smelts being bigger than the fish in some of these lakes, no joke), plenty of garbage etc etc etc.. Sadly this is only after ten trips out this last winter.

Anyone who doesn't respect our waters and life in generally, well, karma will serve them what they deserve and seem to ask for.
My 2 bits.

ice
04-07-2010, 11:26 PM

I Fully agree with you. At this time of year. its never a good idea to venture out with a vehicle unless yur completely sure the ice is solid. especially around shore.. and its the same with all the garbage. there is wayy too much out there. people just dont care. and belive me that ****es me off too. im just saying a vehicle isnt going to gave a signifigant effect if at all. this is the first vehicle iv heard of go through snipe in years and by this i dont mean as a good thing... but as you stated if its happening yearly. then they're doing somthing terribly wrong and yes its going to have a good effect wether it be short or long term.
When your driving on. be safe. what might be solid in the morning. baking in the 17 Degree sun all day. isnt going to have the strength at night.
Its a pitty that people are so stupid to get multiple vehicles in there..
they shoiuld be using chains and pulling from shore. not bringing a tractor in to aid the situation:huh:
No sympathy coming from me eighther.