PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon Leader.

dodger
04-03-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm just wondering what kind of knot you use when attaching a swivel / clip to this type of line?
Thanks, Dodger.

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 07:23 AM
I use the Palomar knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php) for just about everything (including when using fluorocarbon). I haven't had the knot fail yet. :)

goldscud
04-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I just use improved cinch knots for fly fishing...just make sure you really wet the line as you pull it tight so that you don't cause too much abrasion.

seahawkfisher
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
i use a trilene knot

never had any problems

cheers

Rick.
04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
What knot would be best for joining fluorocarbon to mono?

seahawkfisher
04-03-2010, 10:36 AM
if you are using light flouro, a uni to uni works well.

i prefer to place a small barrel swivel between my line and leadser (i use braided line) it gives you a little weight to help with casting small lures and makes for a stronger connection between the line and heavy pike leader (i use 44lb for pike and 8lb rio flouroflex for everthing else - as leader material). the difference in diameter, especially with the 44lb can make for a bit of a shakey connection without the swivel i find.
cheers

Chris K
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Make a loop to loop connection. It is the fastest, and it works great. I have landed walleyes over 10 pounds on this method. Double up your flourocarbon and loop it with about a two inch loop when tightened, and do the same with your mainline. if it's fireline or braid, I go through it twice, then wrap around the whole loop and put it through again, and it won't slip. Put one loop through the other and you are good to go.

Chris K

dodger
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone, the palomar knot looks like my first go at it as DarkAisling has provided me with a cartoon that I can relate with.

Dodger.