PDA

View Full Version : Netting Of Fish????

Fishfull Thinker..
04-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I fish lakeland (Touchwood,Pinehurst,Elinor ect...)as much as I can. Just looking for information on aboriginal netting & if there are limitations? I have nothing against the aboriginal community just curious as to the effect on these lakes..

Loper
04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishingHuntingTrapping/documents/SummaryOfDomesticFishingRegsInAlberta-Feb11-2010.pdf

Covers it pretty well.

Fishfull Thinker..
04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks WoW! 100 meter net that's hard to believe..

sco22
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey Fishful Thinker,

I have been fishing at Touchwood for about 25 years. During that time I have been on the lake with both First Nation's and Commercial netting operations. Although there is a part of me that is jealous of some of the fish they catch, particularly the giant walleye, the fishing in that lake seems to handle the netting well. In fact, the walleye population is outstanding there. As I am sure you know, catching several 6 pound plus walleye in a day is not too hard.

I think the bigger concern at Touchwood has to be the constant removal of the big pike in lake. It is not uncommon to see boats come in each day with 15 pound plus lunkers in their bucket.

Anyhow, good to hear someone else likes these lakes. Try getting into Jackson/Blackett/Kinnaird too (if you don't already). Lakeland has some gems.

Cheers.

Fishfull Thinker..
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
sco22,The guys doing comercial do they release these big walleye? But regardless I absoulutly love that lake for the fishing & scenery.I just was not aware of regs on netting..Last year my father caught a 9 pound wally from there what a beauty..haven't had much luck with big pike there,I'm heading up the first week of june to try my luck..But don't understsnd why people keep monster pike,I thoughjt the younger ones were better eating?

sco22
04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
The last time we were there when the commercial guys were in there was 2 years ago. The incidental catch rate was really low - maybe 30 or so walleyes. You know what is funny, they will sell you a white or a jack and give you a ling, but they could not sell the walleye - the funny part is I have no idea what they do with the incidental walleye catch? Maybe someone here knows.

I like to keep a 4-5 pound pike for eating if I am inclined to eat a pike. The big ones are a great fight and fun to catch, but not nearly as tasty as the smaller ones.

The lake is a great lake to fish and much bigger than people give it credit for. The deepest part I have marked is 142 feet. There is another poster on here, Kreator, who knows the lake well.

If you want some tips, pm me and I can tell you where I have had luck on that lake.

Cheers.