PDA

View Full Version : lake/river access

stein3
04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to fishing and I have a question about getting to a new river you have never tried before. (btw, I did a search for previous posts, and it didn't answer my question, so don't flame me too hard).

I am looking to go and fish the sheep river south of calgary, but I dont see how I am supposed to access it. Looking at google maps satellite view, all I see is roads that lead to houses. I assume that the land around it is owned as well. If I park my car at the end of the road or somewhere around they wont be too happy, plus I still have to walk across their land.

How do you access some of these fishing spots when it is not right on public land? Thanks in advance.

fishpro
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
You will have to access the river from a public point, whether it's a bridge or somewhere on crown land. From here you are allowed to be anywhere within the high water mark upstream or downstream.

Beyond this, your other option is to go directly to the land owner and ask them for permission to fish on their property. Most owners are very good about this, and if they don't want you there you can always go elsewhere.

Rick.
04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
depending on where you want to fish it there is quite a bit of access upstream of say Turner Valley. Some between Turner Valley and Okotoks and east of Okotoks. My personal opinion is the further downstream the poorer the fishing though unless your looking for RMwhite fish in the fall. Rick.