PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon bait rigs

Geezle
04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok, so I'm back fishing the river.

I was thinking of tying myself up some new dropshot rigs, but wanted to try a few with fluorocarbon.

Since I've never used fluoro what do I need to know about it? Should I be using the fluoro line, or leader material...and what is the difference between the two.

Does it need to be tied, or can a person use the sleeves you'd use on regular steel leader material? Last year I had a problem breaking the leader material at my crimps, but after looking again at the stuff I have, I'm pretty sure the sleeves I have are too big for the leader material, so I had to crimp the crap out of them to get them tight enough.

I think those are all the questions I have at the moment, but don't worry, there'll be more :)

DarkAisling
04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I use the leader material. I don't remember why, but I remember it was considered "better" to use it than the line.

Depending on how thick it is you won't be able to knot it. I found it impossible to knot 80lb, so I had to use the sleeves.

Geezle
04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I use the leader material. I don't remember why, but I remember it was considered "better" to use it than the line.

Depending on how thick it is you won't be able to knot it. I found it impossible to knot 80lb, so I had to use the sleeves.
Okay, was kinda hoping I could use the sleeves just to make things easy, I just wasn't sure if they'd maybe dig into the fluoro or something like that.

Not sure what weight I'd be going with yet either...my one beefy rod has 50lb line on it, so I'll maybe tie the rig up with 50lb as well?

Beazer
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I made a bunch of 30lb leaders out of Seaguar Fluoro leader material.
Used the sleeves with zero issue. Too lazy to knot that thick stuff.
Sleeve size was around 0.051 I believe.

Haven't used any yet but hoping it all works out lol.:D