PDA

View Full Version : Battery operated hook sharpener

jusfloatin
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Has anyone got one and what do you think of it.

My sight is not as good as it used to be even with glasses.

Paul C
04-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Has anyone got one and what do you think of it.

My sight is not as good as it used to be even with glasses.
I use a small piece of stone that has a small groove. A:D few passes on it and its very sharp.

Piers
04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
someone needs to invent a tiny little pencil sharpener that will not only sharpen the hook but grind down a barb as well..

Geezle
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
someone needs to invent a tiny little pencil sharpener that will not only sharpen the hook but grind down a barb as well..

Closest you'll get to that is a Dremel...just be careful you don't overdo it :)

Paul C
04-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I use stainlees steel pliers to flatten the barb. This is a tool I bought at a medical supply depot. The inner jaw is flat with no grips. I have seen the tool at crappy tire but is made out of ferrous metal.
Cheers ! :D

Geezle
04-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I use stainlees steel pliers to flatten the barb. This is a tool I bought at a medical supply depot. The inner jaw is flat with no grips. I have seen the tool at crappy tire but is made out of ferrous metal.
Cheers ! :D

So it's more like a set of forceps? :confused:

I see forceps occasionally at princess auto...never checked to see if they're completely flat or not though. May have to check 'em out :)

Until then I have a cheap (from the dollar store) multi tool that has a flat spot on the pliers that works well for pinching barbs.

Paul C
04-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I know they are not forceps because they have grips on the inner jaw.
They are expensive to buy tools used for surgery.:wave:

Geezle
04-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I know they are not forceps because they have grips on the inner jaw.
They are expensive to buy tools used for surgery.:wave:
Gotcha...I think.

Are they similar to forceps, sans the grippy part on the inner jaw? :confused:

Piers
04-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Closest you'll get to that is a Dremel...just be careful you don't overdo it :)

that sounds like work lol.. I use a little flat rasp, does the trick, but I want someone to invent a little machine I can stick the hook in and *zhoop* it comes out barbless, smooth with an atomic-sharp point :lol:

Paul C
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Gotcha...I think.

Are they similar to forceps, sans the grippy part on the inner jaw? :confused: This tool does not lock and has a spring to keep the jaws open.
Inner jaw is flat and I remember that this tool is used in bone reconstruction surgery. Maybe one of the forum users could tell me the name of this tool ?

Kingfisher
04-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I use a dremel. Revy carries one that is rechargeable.
http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20[US]/t06/0000002/r02792v3.jpg
This is not the cheap manicure kit. But I suppose you could use the cheaper one if you wanted. Mine was about $100. I use a diamond tip 117 I believe the number is on the package.

It's great for taking the barbs off and also for sharpening up those hooks to razer sharp while out in the boat.

Rob

huntsfurfish
04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Battery powered Dremel at wallmart for about $30.00

works fine.

Geezle
04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Is this one battery operated? :confused:

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3842438&enlargeSkuz=21505

DarkAisling
04-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Is this one battery operated? :confused: