PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Battery....

fishingmedic
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Hello All, just picked up our new 17.5 foot Smoker Craft 172 Ultima yesterday, it came with a Minn Kota 55lb thrust trolling motor, but no battery....while I am familiar on how to use the motor I have no idea on what type of battery to use. I've read about different amps and voltages but would I buy just a regular deep cycle battery or should I buy a Minn Kota Battery Charger? Is there a difference between a battery and battery charger? Thanks everyone!!

huntsfurfish
04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
hi

You will need both a battery and a battery charger.

huntsfurfish
04-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Any battery store will be able to help set you up with a good deep cycle battery and you have the option of on board battery charger or removable charger. Battery chargers at Bass Pro or even Canadian Tire.

Paul C
04-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Hello All, just picked up our new 17.5 foot Smoker Craft 172 Ultima yesterday, it came with a Minn Kota 55lb thrust trolling motor, but no battery....while I am familiar on how to use the motor I have no idea on what type of battery to use. I've read about different amps and voltages but would I buy just a regular deep cycle battery or should I buy a Minn Kota Battery Charger? Is there a difference between a battery and battery charger? Thanks everyone!!
Find out how much current the motor draws. The current will then give you the amount of amps plus the hours = the size of battery. Rockys battery sells new trojan deep cycle batterys. Beware that canadian tire does not have a good record of quality batteries. I buy from the battery shop which I have returned a battery that was not charging.
Good Luck :D

seahawkfisher
04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
i have a minnkota 55 V2 on my 16.5'; i use a group 27 battery, i have 2 of them for, or in case, when the first one dies. the group 27's are big and heavy but last a long time. Trojan makes a great product and can be found at battery world. if you want to save some money, you can get an energizer 27 from wallyworld for around a hundred bucks. i have one of those, and while only using it for part of one season, it has worked well foro me.
cheers

walleyeca
04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Congrats on your new boat guy! Ok if I were you Id pick up a onboard battery charger! Then although Trojan batteries are very good and efficient they do come with a nice price tag! The trojan battery knock off(MADE IN SAME FACTORY!!) is called a gold plus! if you have room for 2 batteries I would go with 2-6volts side by side to create 12volts and get this: 405 amp hrs (Hello) if not the room go with a size 31 battery which well be very efficient! these batteries are available at an awesome price at a place called The Battery doctor Talk to "Brad Lien" there he is very informative and will teach you the difference between a cheap battery and a good well priced battery it really has to do with the thickness of the lead plates in the battery! Stay with a minn kota charger! 2 reasons (1)The warranty!!!(2) these also have a built in smart charger and battery maintainer for the winter period for us canadians in the cold! hope I helped?