PDA

View Full Version : Barb Removal

Sputnik
04-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Just saw a thread on sharpening and some were mentioning ways to remove barbs.

What's everyone's favorite method.

I've got a pair of pliers that seem to work well.

I've also tried my dremel, but I have to find a better tip for barbs the smallest grinder (that I have) does not fit into the bell of most hooks.

Works great for the bigger hooks, but you want to hold the shank with vise grips of it can twist around on you.

Anyone seen any special tools made to do this?

fitzy
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
The best tool I have for removing barbs are some old linesman pliers, the wide flat jaws grab well and most of the time the barbs snap off, the only draw back is they are a little big for the smaller hooks. I've tried a Dremel as well and don't like it.

TrollGRG
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
My GF picked up a tool at WSS last week for just that. It is like a pair of pliers except that it doesn't have the teeth - just flat surfaces. Does a remarkable job.

I found that with normal pliers the barbs didn't always get crushed right to the shaft or sometimes broke off. this tool doesn't do that. It also has a small pin in the jaws for cleaning out the eye of the hook (head cement).

It only costs about $12 (damn she is good to me) :love:

Geezle
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
The best tool I have for removing barbs are some old linesman pliers, the wide flat jaws grab well and most of the time the barbs snap off, the only draw back is they are a little big for the smaller hooks. I've tried a Dremel as well and don't like it.
Be careful if the barb snaps off...if there's enough of a burr left over a picky fish cop could still get after you for it :wave:

Beazer
04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I use a dremel, but finding it tough for small fly's and even smaller hooks.
I use the diamond carbide and it works super quick, and leaves the area smooth if done correctly.

Recently I found Gamakatsu's trebles with no barb's in sizes 12 to 2/0.

nothing smaller unfortunately but it's a bonus for us crankbait fishermen.

Eventually I'm going to find a source for single barbless hooks on crankbaits but I just haven't really looked hard enough yet.