PDA

View Full Version : chin reservoir

wallycranker
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
im thinking of heading down to chin reservoir opening week to try it out. never been there just wondering how is it for shallow spots and how is the walleye fishing there as well.

jts1
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
http://http://www.anglersatlas.com/
Give this a try for depths

calgarygringo
04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
We have been fishing there for 30 years or so and other than the drought couple of years no worries about shallow water. Most is good as long as water is deep enough to launch your boat. Lots of drops to fish heading east and work the east dam and corners of it for walleyes. If you want monster pike work right in fron of the campground and deep into the big bay on the other side of the bridge. Lots of fish in there and some are hold on to your rod....Many days of 5-6 over 15-20lbs and bigger for pike and many walleyes and some in the 10+ lb range as well.

Good luck

wallycranker
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
ya ive always wanted to go down there and it opens up before all the lakes at home so were planning a trip.

floppychicken
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
ya ive always wanted to go down there and it opens up before all the lakes at home so were planning a trip.

X2 HERE !! Looking forward to hitting a FEW of the Southern reservoirs this season...

Cheers,...:)

nicemustang
04-05-2010, 07:52 AM
A far better map: http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/ColourBathymetryMaps.aspx

wallycranker
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
i have the new navionics platinum maps as well.

wallycranker
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
thanks for all the help

floppychicken
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
A far better map: http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/ColourBathymetryMaps.aspx

With the amount of fishing that goes on within Alberta, you think that they'd have A LOT more lakes 'Mapped out'.

Then again... There aren't that many :o

Canadian_Gunner
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Chin is one of my favourite lakes to fish around Lethbridge. Last year in a four hour time span i personally pulled out 23 walleye and 3 pike. Awsome lake, lots of trophy fish!

Chuckles32
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
so far what everyone has told you about chin is right! there are also some nice spots on the west end for big pike and eyes...my best advice to you is that if you are going for walleye and things get slow, i have always had good luck on both north and south sides of the bridge with depths ranging from 13 to 27ft! although it seems more smaller walleye are being caught here there are always a few lunkers pulled out per season and it's always better to catch something than nothing at all! if you are ever interested in going to lake newell by brooks let me know i have found some unbelievable spots for walleye averaging from 4-11lbs and i would be more happy than to share them with you or anyone...thats what it's all about! hope this helps, take care and make sure to leave a few big boys for me!!

nicemustang
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah you can sit on rocks at the bridge and catch fish all day, every few minutes. Mostly smaller ones yes, but that's where we caught the 10 lber in my avatar :)

wallycranker
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
so far what everyone has told you about chin is right! there are also some nice spots on the west end for big pike and eyes...my best advice to you is that if you are going for walleye and things get slow, i have always had good luck on both north and south sides of the bridge with depths ranging from 13 to 27ft! although it seems more smaller walleye are being caught here there are always a few lunkers pulled out per season and it's always better to catch something than nothing at all! if you are ever interested in going to lake newell by brooks let me know i have found some unbelievable spots for walleye averaging from 4-11lbs and i would be more happy than to share them with you or anyone...thats what it's all about! hope this helps, take care and make sure to leave a few big boys for me!!ya always wanted to fish the southern reservoirs but never get a chance but i already booked time off for may 8th to make a trip down south.

wallycranker
05-01-2010, 05:22 PM
so far what everyone has told you about chin is right! there are also some nice spots on the west end for big pike and eyes...my best advice to you is that if you are going for walleye and things get slow, i have always had good luck on both north and south sides of the bridge with depths ranging from 13 to 27ft! although it seems more smaller walleye are being caught here there are always a few lunkers pulled out per season and it's always better to catch something than nothing at all! if you are ever interested in going to lake newell by brooks let me know i have found some unbelievable spots for walleye averaging from 4-11lbs and i would be more happy than to share them with you or anyone...thats what it's all about! hope this helps, take care and make sure to leave a few big boys for me!!

thanks for the info. im going there next weekend for saturday and sunday. im gona be staying at the taber motel. i have a white dodge and a princecraft tournament boat if your out there dont be scared to say hi!