PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fly Line

ULTRAlite
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
It's time to replace the floating line on my 6 weight. Just wondering what the favorites are out there and why. What specific "models" within the brands are your faves? Hoping not to spend any more than $60. I've got Rio Selective Trout on there now, and I think it was a bit more spendy... like $75

notagoodtroutfisher
04-06-2010, 12:50 AM
airflo all the way. I run 3 airflo lines and the coating is great

Kingfisher
04-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Rio is the one I'd go with. I have probably bought or at least used every kind of fly line out there.

Now what kind of rod are you planning on using this line on? The reason I ask is that Rio makes a good line for the fast action rods like the Sage Z axis. It is the Rio Grand. If your rod isn't quite so fast, maybe a medium or a medium/fast rod, then I'd say go with the Rio Gold. Both in my opinion are fantastic floating lines.

Early last season (June) I had the SA Mastery GPX on one of my reels. It was a brand new line and it split right at the loop. Up until that time I really liked the line. That was when I switched to the Rio. Now that I used the Rio I won't be switching back to the SA. I took the line back to Fish Tales. They were supposed to send it back to SA. I still hadn't heard back from them. I was in there last week and inquired about it then. Still nothing. In all fairness though, Dave was who I was dealing with and he got very sick this last year. He was not in the store for quite some time. I'll have to talk to him personally about it.

Rob