PDA

View Full Version : April Fly Fishing On The Clearwater River

MrMiStEr
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
hello, I'm thinking of heading out to the clearwater river (alberta) sometime this week or early next week. Wondering if anyone has any tips on flies or good areas for fishing this tough river. I have a quad so farther down Forestry truck road should be no problem. also does anyone know the road conditions past caroline? last year i had to chain up and still almost didnt make it through the steep part of that road. I have had no luck on this river so any advice would be great.

Thanks

adventures
04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I’ve fished the Clearwater early in the season, and found the river northwest of Caroline as well as around Ricinus to be best. A bit too early for the FTR based on my past experience up there. Try weighted nymphs (stones, caddis) or streamers (buggers, zonkers), and if it stays warm maybe ant patterns. Let us know how you made out.

sheepguide
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Roads are good and clear. Was out the trunk road last days off and had no issues.

flygirrl
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
:wave: Im not sure which way you are going but if you head west on 752 it takes you to the forestry tunk road. The clearwater is not far of the road once you turn right. That way you dont have to deal with Corkscrew Mountain if you dont want to...:wave:

diamonddave
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Has anyone floated the clearwater this early?? From the hwy 22 crossing, down to 752??

flygirrl
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh I so want toooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

flynick
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
hoping to float it this summer in the fishin yak.... me and my buddy r looking for partners

diamonddave
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I have done the float a few times, but always late in the year. I am goin to try and get in a float sooner than later this time. Its an aaaaalllllll day trip for sure, but it is a great stretch.

McDeth
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Clearwater can be rewarding, especially in spring! My family used to have a fishing cabin near Caroline and I learned how to fly fish on this river as a kid. LOTS of browns 20-24``+, lots of whitefish, and the occasional brute Bull.

flynick
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I have done the float a few times, but always late in the year. I am goin to try and get in a float sooner than later this time. Its an aaaaalllllll day trip for sure, but it is a great stretch.

what do you float with??? pm me if you would like some people to float with

MrMiStEr
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Great thanks, started tying some streamers probly goin on thursday ...anyone know what the road around corkscrew mountain is like now after the snow?
Also is anywhere between caroline and rincus best or just certain parts?
And is there good fishing west of caroline ( by elk creek or cutoff creek )

Thanks

if anyone is interested in joining me send me a message

sheepguide
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
lots of great fishing the whole length of the river. Access is tough in some portions.
I prefer to fish it in the fall but there is also some good fish to be had in the spring.
Lots of good river to be fished up from the clearwater store(junction of 591 and 22) Little access from the east side of the river but there are a few road allowances coming from the west that if you can find them get you out to the river.
Some good fishing and access around the butte hill area(north of Caroline on Rge. RD 61). Take road allowance for Twp.Rd 372.
A good place to also access the river is west on 591. After the road turns to gravel you will travel a few miles west and see a sign for the Caroline Snowmobile Staging Area. When you drive in past the cabin you will see a road(trail) head to the south east and takes you right to the river.

Pm me if anyone would like anymore info.

MrMiStEr
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
well i went out to clearwater on monday....parked at the snomobile staging area and quaded upstream, coverd 5 miles of river caught 2 small trout (10 inch) one on bottom walker and one on a black muddler minow didnt spend much time at pools. think im going to go further upstream next time, by the flats or something. Do the big fish hide in the small pools or do you need to find bigger deeper pool for bigger fish? anyways gonna try again next week i think, so any advice would be great.

thanks

MrMiStEr
04-21-2010, 09:01 AM
well i went out to clearwater on monday....parked at the snowmobile staging area and quaded upstream, coverd 5 miles of river caught 2 small trout (10 inch) one on bottom walker and one on a black muddler minnow didnt spend much time at pools. think im going to go further upstream next time, by the flats or something. Do the big fish hide in the small pools or do you need to find bigger deeper pool for bigger fish? anyways gonna try again next week i think, so any advice would be great.

thanks

MrMiStEr
04-21-2010, 09:02 AM
sorry about double reply

DonP
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Got out for the first time this year on Sunday, The river was crystal clear and low. Fished upstream of the Caroline snowmobile staging area. Lots of tiny stoneflies hatching but no fish activity. Was a great day to be out and exploring anyways.Stopped at the Tay for an hour before heading home, same deal here, clear and low.