PDA

View Full Version : So.. Anyone put their BOAT in the Water yet??

floppychicken
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Just wondering if there is any open water yet and who's been able to get out!

Cheers,

/J...

pdfish
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
The NSR is calling, think I may try to get out on Friday. I guess I'll have to see how much ice is flowing. Don't want to be pumping slush thru the jet.

TrollGRG
04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Was out at Wab last day of March for the 2010 shake down cruse. It seemed that the barge didn't even know it had been winter. :)

Caught half a dozen handles.

Lots of open water. Going to miss the plant when it closes :(

thorne
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Hit Wab last bit of march a few times....had a blast, lots of nice pike (8-14lbs) and the boat just hummmed!! Man feels good after a winter!

buckbrushoutdoors
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
im putting my boat in the river this weekend hopefully the sturgys are ready to bite!

angler1
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
The NSR is calling, think I may try to get out on Friday. I guess I'll have to see how much ice is flowing. Don't want to be pumping slush thru the jet.
Hey there pdfish was out to day for a rip on the NSR, put the boat in at Saunders west of Rocky and went upstream almost to the dam. A real nice day and a great ride. Maybe see you out there sometime, look for a a green Outlaw bobcat flying a Riders flag.

pdfish
04-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey there pdfish was out to day for a rip on the NSR, put the boat in at Saunders west of Rocky and went upstream almost to the dam. A real nice day and a great ride. Maybe see you out there sometime, look for a a green Outlaw bobcat flying a Riders flag.

Good to hear, maybe i'll see you out there sometime this summer. How was the water level?

jrs
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Lots of lakes open in the south country, and there were boats on most of the ones i drove by over the past few weeks.

S.A.S
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I'll be tossing my pontoon boat in soon.

Harbercraftguy
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
three boats on the Wapiti river tonight....

outlaw'd
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
may have to check out the Athabasca this weekend.

floppychicken
04-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Lots of lakes open in the south country, and there were boats on most of the ones i drove by over the past few weeks.

Really? Which ones?

/J..

floppychicken
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
im putting my boat in the river this weekend hopefully the sturgys are ready to bite!

what are you using for a boat and motor?

ishootbambi
04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
i went for a troll on friday. 3 other boats out there and 2 belly boats and one pontoon. those belly boaters were freezing, but they stayed longer than i did.

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Just the kayaks so far.
On that note......I think everyone should own a Yak. Can troll all day with ease and don't wake up sore at all. May not hook into as many fish as trolling with the ol motor....but way more fun imo.
and challenging.
Can't wait to buy a bellyboat n learn how to flyfish......man I watch and think to meself...that's gotta be a HUGE rush!
GL all! Open water!!
WooWoo!

angler1
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Good to hear, maybe i'll see you out there sometime this summer. How was the water level?

The water levels on that stretch are fairly consistent due to the dam. If you pay attention on the way up you will be okay. Pick the wrong channel, well you know the rest.

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Really? Which ones?

/J..

Clear is open if you want to go for a rip. If the weather is decent, I will be doing that this weekend.

JohninAB
04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Was on wabamun the last weekend of March. Was nice to be back out on soft water in the boat.

floppychicken
04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, good info to find out which bodies of water are open just to get the boat out and rip around... It's nice to get a trip in to make sure that everythings working like it should.
The Wind coming from the WEST these days doesn't make me all 'Warm and Fuzzy' thinking about HOW WINDY it'll likely ALSO be this season, but I guess we're used to it buy now! Some of my personal best Walleye fishing days were in 2' of Chop... (McGregor, Gull...)

Cheers,

/J...

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, good info to find out which bodies of water are open just to get the boat out and rip around... It's nice to get a trip in to make sure that everythings working like it should.
The Wind coming from the WEST these days doesn't make me all 'Warm and Fuzzy' thinking about HOW WINDY it'll likely ALSO be this season, but I guess we're used to it buy now! Some of my personal best Walleye fishing days were in 2' of Chop... (McGregor, Gull...)

Cheers,

/J...

x2. Alot of my gooders have been caught during not so prime weather too. Part of the game I reckon. Rain/wind or shine, when I get the chances...Fish on!!! (pending the ok from the Misses:))

thorne
04-08-2010, 03:42 PM
x2. Alot of my gooders have been caught during not so prime weather too. Part of the game I reckon. Rain/wind or shine, when I get the chances...Fish on!!! (pending the ok from the Misses:))

That is a definate!! Seen lots of guys with boats bigger then my 18 footer leave when the waves get 2' and bigger...thats prime mooching time!! get up wind drift over the honey holes, pull in 4 or 5 and reset up wind for another run...cheep trolling!!

mooseknuckle
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Hit Wab last bit of march a few times....had a blast, lots of nice pike (8-14lbs) and the boat just hummmed!! Man feels good after a winter!

I can vouche for this!! Great time. Thanks again Zan:wave:

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
That is a definate!! Seen lots of guys with boats bigger then my 18 footer leave when the waves get 2' and bigger...thats prime mooching time!! get up wind drift over the honey holes, pull in 4 or 5 and reset up wind for another run...cheep trolling!!

Yup.
Werd Berd!

pdfish
04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
The water levels on that stretch are fairly consistent due to the dam. If you pay attention on the way up you will be okay. Pick the wrong channel, well you know the rest.

NO, I've never had to jump into ice cold water in order to push the boat, that would be crazy!! ;);)

angler1
04-09-2010, 05:43 PM
The NSR went out last night in Drayton Valley. It is still intact at Genessee. Will not be long now.

strathmorite
04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
hoping to my boat in Newel down south here tomorrow. hopefully it is ice free enough!