PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Slave-May Opener

C-Whalen
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello, If anyone out there has any info about what it is like historically on Slave Lake during the opening few days in May I would appreciate it. Any info like is there usually any ice left, where exactly is the restricted Grassy Point area, success, etc.

Thanks,

Drewski Canuck
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Most of our walleye lakes post spawn are slow on the May long. The fish may still be spawning, which is what happens often at Calling. However, if you set up a lindy rig with a leech, get to 10 - 15 feet of water, cast it out and let the boat drift it along in the wind, - DEAD SLOW - you will be surprised. Often, sitting with a jig with a minnow dead stick, at anchor in 10 - 15 feet of water, can be pretty effective as well. (i.e.: Pinehurst lake)

By the way, get yourself some #2 - 4 circle hooks for your lindy rig setup, and set an inline float so the leech is held 6 inches off the bottom, and you should be in excellent shape, and the leeches won't come off all the time.

Drewski

C-Whalen
04-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks Drewski, you imagine a drift sock would be a worthwile investment??

greylynx
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Not sure about Slave this year.

Is the Ice starting to pile on Marten beach??

With this huge honking windstorm going thru Alberta today, I was figuring walleye fishing might be a bit early on Lesser Slave this year