PDA

View Full Version : The First Newell.....

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Yet to fish Newell ever but gonna take the nephews and Gpa out this weekend (knock on wood). Gpa is up there in age so boat is outta question. Any recommendations as to where to go from shore if standing on main launch. East, West, anything? Interested to see where Gpa takes us....been bout 10 yrs for him. Can't wait to see the thrill in his eyes when he hooks into a fish again!! ( not to mention the required break needed from Gma harhar...opps did I say that:rolleyes:) Prolly be his 90000000000th fish, but not for quite some time.
Cheers n thanks ahead!

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I think it's still iced over, or mostly iced over. So what I hear anyway....but not good enough to ice fish.

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I think it's still iced over, or mostly iced over. So what I hear anyway....but not good enough to ice fish.

Thanks for the heads up. Aint gonna take Gpa on the ice. If Newell is still iced over come Sunday guess we will go somewhere else.
Newell was/is what he knows when it comes to lakes/fish. Would be nice to get him back out there. Maybe jus hit Bullshead for some fat Bows, but pretty sure he loves his Pike. Either way, as long as he catches a fish...I'm happy:)
Thx Stang.

ULTRAlite
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Pretty sure I heard Rolling Hills Rez right next door is open.

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I think your right, but last report is that it was still iced over (mostly). Hopefully someone who lives right that (aka Wayne) chimes in a lets us know.

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Pretty sure I heard Rolling Hills Rez right next door is open.

Hmmm....perhaps....

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I think your right, but last report is that it was still iced over (mostly). Hopefully someone who lives right that (aka Wayne) chimes in a lets us know.

He will....after he dun fishn today. Right Wayne?

Mark
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeloow Lake, south of Burdett is ice free, (was there last Saturday), and its not affected by seasonal closurers thence its legal to fish all year around. Plus there are no size limits and no bait ban, May be a good alternative for your Grandpa. Plus you can park right beside where you fish and there are no steep rock banks to climb down.

Also I did read somewhere here last week that Rolling Hills was open. Do a search and I'm sure you find the thread.

Good luck

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeloow Lake, south of Burdett is ice free, (was there last Saturday), and its not affected by seasonal closurers thence its legal to fish all year around. Plus there are no size limits and no bait ban, May be a good alternative for your Grandpa. Plus you can park right beside where you fish and there are no steep rock banks to climb down.

Also I did read somewhere here last week that Rolling Hills was open. Do a search and I'm sure you find the thread.

Good luck

Good to know Mark. Thx. Fished it once couple years ago, bugs drove us bonkers n caught no fish....mind u we were only there bout 30min.....darn mosquitoes...they were huge!!! Sounds like an optional idea but perty sure Gpa has his eyes on Newell, got a hunch I gonna show him some new trix n he will show me some ol ones....hoping anyway:)

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Doesn't matter if rolling hills is open or not. It's a lot smaller lake and much shallower, will be ice free sooner, so no comparison to newell. And its closed for fishing, so that doesn't help either.

WayneChristie
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Doesn't matter if rolling hills is open or not. It's a lot smaller lake and much shallower, will be ice free sooner, so no comparison to newell. And its closed for fishing, so that doesn't help either.

was going to say that, its closed for fishing unfortunately. no fish in there anyways, they all winterkilled

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
was going to say that, its closed for fishing unfortunately. no fish in there anyways, they all winterkilled

hmm. srry to hear that. O well, there's always lake X n Y right?
Wayne, ur pm was bit confusing, do elaborate pls..?
Wanna come out on Sunday??

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
So wayne, newell close to ice free? How long you think?

HUNTER55
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I would bet Newell is open in the bays, you can drive your truck right in there, might not be enough for a boat just yet but fishing from shore should be good this time of year.

HUNTER55
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
YEP! check ( lake newell ice ) some has posted the south end is clear but the rest has ice, fishing is open good luck!!

Fishfinder
04-09-2010, 06:20 AM
YEP! check ( lake newell ice ) some has posted the south end is clear but the rest has ice, fishing is open good luck!!

Awesome! Thx all. Will leave it up to Gpa then. Fat Pike or Fat Bows! I would lean towards the Bows meself but gonna guess Gpa will want to fight some large mean Pike. Newell it shall be, WOOWOO, maybe catch me first whitefish, there is Whiteeees in there right?:lol:
or jus catch a cold:rolleyes:

DarkAisling
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
So wayne, newell close to ice free? How long you think?

Wayne has had no power since last night. I'm sure he'll fill you in as soon as he is able.

nicemustang
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah i was out power until 5:00 am this morning...his county was on the list as well.

Fishfinder
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Wayne has had no power since last night. I'm sure he'll fill you in as soon as he is able.

He did. Thx Wayne!:lol:
There is some open water.
We lost power too here in the Hat (some areas) for about 8 hrs.

nicemustang
04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Well post a report when you go. I'm hoping by next weekend I can get the boat in there!

Fishfinder
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Well post a report when you go. I'm hoping by next weekend I can get the boat in there!

Will do! Jus hoping the wind is kind on Sunday otherwise we may end up at Echodale lookin for KJ's mystery fish:lol: N if we catch it, we will tag it with heavy paint GPA n GSON were here!!:lol:JK:lol:

two_ker
04-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Most of the lake is ice free, after last nights windstorm. Ice that is left is pushed up on east side of lake. The rest appears to be wide open.