PDA

View Full Version : looking for some Kayak tips

kmic
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Hello all, reading the salmon fishing threads have got me excited to get on the water this June for a planned kayak trip with some buddies to the west coast. Does anyone have any experience trying to pack enough gear for a 5 day trip using a sit on top, made for fishing, style kayak? My friends have the usual seakayaks and I'm debating on whether or not to try a fishing style yak. Another concern for me is being able to keep up to them. If any ones tried this I'd love to hear about it.

KayakMike
04-08-2010, 01:52 PM
canadiankayakanglers.com
I think you will find all info you need!

MKD
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
If they have touring kayaks and you are in an "sit on top" you will not be keeping up with them, in all likelihood, or they will be waiting on you.
Just physics of the boats.
Fishing from an open Kayak on BC's coast? You had best be in a very well insulated dry suit. If you go for a swim you will not last long in that water.
A touring kayak at least keep you from being totally wet and exposed to the wind while fishing or moving.
Pack very small and very light. However, packing five days of gear on top. Too top heavy and you will be swimming a lot. Wind and waves breaking on your gear will dump you for sure.
I paddled across Johnstone straight with one rod out with a four ounce weight in 4.5 foot swells, that was too much work and very exciting though.

I set my touring kayak up with two rod holders; one for a rod to act as down rigger and the other for the rod. Pulling that lead ball was more effort than I ever thought I would have to exert.
Bring small weights, keep your gear weight low in the boat and have idiot strings on your gear (rods and paddles). Paddling and fishing can be a very interesting adventure when a fish is on.

You can rent a touring Kayak an just strap a rod holder on with tie downs and then you can certainly take all the gear you need inside the boat.

good luck

Good Luck.

Logan
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
As per your request here is the tip of a Kayak, or "Kayak tip". I have also included bonus scenery for no additional fee. :)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/36054782_25861f54af.jpg

2big4u
04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
You will not keep up to a touring Kayak in a SOT. Totally different boats.

Fishfinder
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
As per your request here is the tip of a Kayak, or "Kayak tip". I have also included bonus scenery for no additional fee. :)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/36054782_25861f54af.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:good stuff! I recognize that hill in the distance....it's jus past highway 420 and 2 quick lefts..right! Next door to lake LMNOP if I aint misunderstood.
harhar:pJK:wave:

kmic
04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
"kayak tip" I get it. Not bad, not bad at all. Thanks for all the other "tips". Some very good info, couple of points I never thought of. Did the same trip last year with a touring yak. It worked ok. Just thought a dedicated fishing one might be good too. I'm leaning toward a standard touring style for this trip though.