PDA

View Full Version : Please delete

TrollGRG
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes - for a change I want your opinion.

Does anyone know for sure if you should travel with a boat cover on the boat or not?

I've talked to a lot of people who say "that is the way we have always done it" and I've talked to others that say it should never be done.

How do you feel?

thorne
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Definately to ways you can go, for me USE THE COVER!! I had my window get broken out by a rock one...never again. The windows in boats is tempered like the side windows of your car....one chip and you, like me will be finding tiny glass shards for a year or more. I put a blanket over my windows now and then the tarp...If you have a strap on tarp, as apposed to a snap on one, there is possibility of tarp and strap rub from the dust and rubbing of the material on the boat...actually it will happen over time. I have a snap on tarp and its great. It illiminates the rubbing and slapping of the tarp, is easily removed and installed...so if yours is a strap type...you will see it over time, but its not a $1,200.00 windshield! Something to think about!

DarkAisling
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
While it isn't a "boat" we always use the cover on the SeaDoo.

nicemustang
04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I guess it depends on what type of cover, what type of boat. If you have those covers from canadian tire or other boating place those are meant for travel. they are too flexible and catch too much air and will just stretch and/or scratch/rub on the boat.

Different story if you have a canvas or heavier travel cover. Those are meant for travel, I wish I had one with my boat. Also i think those snap cover ones only seem to work for so long, then the snaps get loose and the tarp with start to tear.

I do not travel with cover as I have the one from CT.

BeerSlayer1
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I always travel with my boat tarp on but I've also blown a couple apart in the past. If you see your tarp is billowing you may want to put some bungees right accross the top to keep it down or else remove it.

TimC
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I have travelled with a cover on last year, scratched the side of the boat a bit, will try to do without this year

mooseknuckle
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't use a cover when travelling, why?.... cuz my boat is POS and I really don't care to much. I've lloked into some covers but $1000 boat and 5-600 for a cover doesn't justify it for me personally. But I may try to make something up but I would need some help hint hint thorne.

Paul C
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes - for a change I want your opinion.

Does anyone know for sure if you should travel with a boat cover on the boat or not?

I've talked to a lot of people who say "that is the way we have always done it" and I've talked to others that say it should never be done.

How do you feel?
The cover is the cheapest way to preserve the boat. I know lots of people who do the boat but forget to do the motor and prop leg.
A friend of mine runs his own custom upholstery shop. He does build custom boat covers and I helped him build airplane snow wing covers.
The motor is really important because you do not want to get dust in the motor controls or the gearbox. Let me know if your are interested.
Cheers :)

fishhawk1850
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
The cover is the cheapest way to preserve the boat. I know lots of people who do the boat but forget to do the motor and prop leg.
A friend of mine runs his own custom upholstery shop. He does build custom boat covers and I helped him build airplane snow wing covers.
The motor is really important because you do not want to get dust in the motor controls or the gearbox. Let me know if your are interested.
Cheers :)

I WOULD BE INTERESTED in quote on a motor cover. The motor is a 2006 Suzuki 150 four stroke. Also does friend do tarp repairs? Thanks Fishhawk
P.S. I will not travel without my cover on.

icefever
04-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been boating for 25 years and always had my tarp on. Make sure it is tight and no loose straps to flop aroung to mark it up.

KyleM
04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Fiberglass no, aluminum yes.
Its nice to have a cover, things can go "missing" when your parked and away from the truck.

Having said that, if you have a fiberglass be sure to have a tight fit "clean" surface against the boat. Redoing gelcoat is not fun and it never looks the same.

Paul C
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I WOULD BE INTERESTED in quote on a motor cover. The motor is a 2006 Suzuki 150 four stroke. Also does friend do tarp repairs? Thanks Fishhawk
P.S. I will not travel without my cover on.
Just pm your email and I will forward the info to you. Yes he also does tarp repair, custom build.

Paul C
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't use a cover when travelling, why?.... cuz my boat is POS and I really don't care to much. I've lloked into some covers but $1000 boat and 5-600 for a cover doesn't justify it for me personally. But I may try to make something up but I would need some help hint hint thorne. I think the amount of money spent on repairs to the motor and gear box would justify the cost. I know from experience that it is wise to protect your investment.:huh: