PDA

View Full Version : Hasse Lake Article in the new AO Magazine

1899b
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Just read Neil Waugh's article on Hasse Lake. Wow talk about disheartening. Looks like it won't be long before the pike have the rule of the roost in that lake. Talk about a disaster for a lake that once was a decent trout pothole lake. The fines can't be too large for the idiot that thought putting a few pike in that lake was a good idea.

Geezle
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Cool, can't wait until I get a chance to read the article :)

Pike or perch...that poor little lake's all messed up :(

1899b
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
A Stony Plain fisheries biologist did a test netting and one of the pics shows 7 well fed pike in the 3-5 pound range. While its unfortunate regarding the illegal introduction of the stunted perch as well as the pike, i wonder if it could become a decent pike fishery in the future?? If one is left with only lemons, why not make lemonade??

Geezle
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
A Stony Plain fisheries biologist did a test netting and one of the pics shows 7 well fed pike in the 3-5 pound range. While its unfortunate regarding the illegal introduction of the stunted perch as well as the pike, i wonder if it could become a decent pike fishery in the future?? If one is left with only lemons, why not make lemonade??

What was the perch/pike ratio on the netting? I'd heard that there were a couple pike in the lake, but it didn't sound like there were *that* many.

I'd also heard that F&W introduced the pike, but clearly that can't be the case.

And I can see the pike getting pretty big in that lake with all the baby perch to eat. Don't know how much of a fishery it'll turn out to be though, Hasse is a painfully small lake for pike.

lyallpeder
04-09-2010, 06:37 AM
in the regs i did not see any limit on pike? should we not be keeping pike to keep it from turning in to a stunted pike lake?

McLeod
04-09-2010, 07:57 AM
F and W did not put pike in the lake. The lake will not longer be stocked with Trout unless someday it's cleaned out with Rotone.But that is not likely.

linemanpete
04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
What was the perch/pike ratio on the netting? I'd heard that there were a couple pike in the lake, but it didn't sound like there were *that* many.

The perch were in all likelihood too small to be caught in the nets that were set.

Geezle
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
The perch were in all likelihood too small to be caught in the nets that were set.

If that's the case, it doesn't sound like much of a 'test' netting :o

MAC
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
in the regs i did not see any limit on pike? should we not be keeping pike to keep it from turning in to a stunted pike lake?

Page 8 of 2010 regulations on fish stocking " The harvest of other species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted " harvest of other species are listed under Lake and stream listings for each watershed unit. If not listed province wide regulations apply for trout only. In the 2010 regs Hasse is listed for trout and perch only. Keeping a Pike would not be allowed. Harsh but needed to keep the bucket heads from ruining the entire stocking program. Does anyone know what will be going on with the lakes that
have invasive species in them now. This months AO article on Hasse states they have a draft for a policy that once an invasive species is found stocking will stop. But in all likelyhood no rehabilitation will take place due to costs. Will they just write it off as no fishing. If they stop stocking it, then it comes off the stocking list and the no harvest for invasive species rule does not apply and the idiots get what they wanted anyways.
I agree that no harvest for invasive species is needed. Take away the motivation for what they are doing. But where does that leave the fishery.
Sorry alot of questions with no answers.

MAC

timsesink
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
x2 above

Rob Miskosky
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
If that's the case, it doesn't sound like much of a 'test' netting :o

Here is the photo. Now go out and buy the magazine.

http://www.sportscene.ca/tsp/images/forum/hasse-test-net-catch.jpg

Geezle
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM

[IMG]http://www.sportscene.ca/tsp/images/forum/hasse-test-net-catch.jpg[/IMG

When I think of netting, I usually think of things on a larger scale, I guess something more along the lines of a big commercial net is the first image that comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing the pic...and for the 'to the point' suggestion :o

walker197
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM

nice, just what we all needed, a crappy perch lake...i can't understand this, good on ya Rob...the magazine is great by the way....

this used to be such a great trout lake...

1899b
04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Great issue Rob!!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it.:)