PDA

View Full Version : What Pants to Wear Underneath Waders

DarkAisling
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm just wondering, what type of pants do people wear under their waders?

So far I've figured out that jeans don't give me enough mobility, and sweat pants are too bunchy . . . ditto for my fleece pants. The "bunchiness" interferes with my mobility and shortens the inseam (which is very bad, as these waders are just barely long enough for me).

My waders are made of coated "Taslan" (a polyester product), and are the same weight as Gortex waders.

I'm thinking that lightweight thermal long-johns are the way to go . . . but I'd like an option for actual "pants."

fishstix
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Early in the season when its cool out i wear long jons and some sweats.
As the temp outside goes up i wear less, like maybe some shorts.
Just wear what ever is comfortable. If you overdress at least then you can shed a layer.

Fishstix!!

superspud
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
i say no pants! summer is here!
but ya, if you ned to stay warm then thermals are the best. just keep pants in your. or somthing like a lulu lemon kinda pant would work well for girls

slingshotz
04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I have cheapie rubber waders but they are reliable, I usually wear long underwear under jeans when it's chilly out. Often times when I hit the river right from work I'll just wear my work trousers, I don't care if they get a bit sweaty or wet, that's what washing machines are made for :lol:

My biggest concern usually is the socks as rubber boots can get pretty cold.

jts1
04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Pants?? Huh.... That would xplain the rash's , I knew I forgot something.

tonyflyfish
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
i wear base layer fleece
WC wears pantyhose

DarkAisling
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Pants?? Huh.... That would xplain the rash's , I knew I forgot something.

:lol: I hope advised Ron about this when you dropped those waders you're letting him use off at his place!

jts1
04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
:lol: I hope advised Ron about this when you dropped those waders you're letting him use off at his place!

Opps....:tongue2:

ULTRAlite
04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
i wear base layer fleece

Fleece Thermal Long Underwear - light and stretchy but warm when the water's cold. Couple that with a great pair of socks.

WayneChristie
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
nothing gets between me and my waders :innocent:

mooseknuckle
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Commando!!!

Paul C
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I prefer insulation that requires johnny eletron to keep me warm.:evilgrin:
It uses duracell for the lasting effect.

pdfish
04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Fleece Thermal Long Underwear - light and stretchy but warm when the water's cold. Couple that with a great pair of socks.

x2, Then just boxers in the summer

Duramaximos
04-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I use base layer fleece. These usually have draw string top and elastic ankle cuffs. Snug fitting and warm.

lucky_magic_stick
04-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Well I don't own any waders, but im just wondering.. what about some under armour compression shorts. They are spandex and I wear them under my football stuff and they feel great. Then also on a cold day under armour has full heat gear spandex leggies! They feel awesome, very very flexible, no bunch and are very warm.

Hope this can lead to some options.
Cheers,
Brett

gonefishin
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Commando!!!

Hence, the name!:lol:

DarkAisling
04-10-2010, 07:36 PM
what about some under armour compression shorts. They are spandex and I wear them under my football stuff and they feel great. Then also on a cold day under armour has full heat gear spandex leggies! They feel awesome, very very flexible, no bunch and are very warm.

Brilliant idea. The ladies "Frosty Tight (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1001525-Women-s-ColdGear-Frosty-Tight&cross_sell=true)" would be the perfect solution, I think :)

lucky_magic_stick
04-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Brilliant idea. The ladies "Frosty Tight (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1001525-Women-s-ColdGear-Frosty-Tight&cross_sell=true)" would be the perfect solution, I think :)

Well the Ladies ones would work, but I think these ones are completely perfect for an outdoorsmen! http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/bottoms/coldgear/pid1203189-Men-s-UA-Evolution-Camo-ColdGear-Legging/1203189-340

Mr.goldeye
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I wher under armour leggings

Doc
04-11-2010, 09:31 AM
These should solve all your problems. A little pricey at $100 but they work great.

http://www.barefishing.com/canada/layers/pants/climate-control-pant.asp

http://www.barefishing.com/productimages/large09/climate-control-pant.gif

Cheers,
Doc

Svejk
04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I wear a pair MEC Running tights (not too tight). Some insulation and slim fiiting.

But fashion usually wins and I wear technical pants or jean over long johns.

jeprli
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I found some undies at MarksWorkW for about $30 they're called "paradox" not sure if it's brand name or model name...they're very light, no sweating even when it gets hot. Tight fitting and stretchy, they'll keep you warm/comfortable for hours.

DarkAisling
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I ran over to the "Running Room" in a mad panic this morning, and I picked up a pair of insulated ladies running tights (they didn't have any UA in stock). They were very costly ($139 or something like that) . . . and having spent a couple of hours knee deep in the Bow today, I can say they were worth every penny. My legs were comfortable temperature wise, they didn't bunch, my waders didn't catch on them, and mobility wasn't restricted at all.

Now I just have to figure out my socks :( I picked up some "Smart Wool" socks at the "Running Room" and they were not warm enough: not even close. I've been out of the water for 1.5 hours and my right foot is still all tingly and numb.

jinx
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
soo now that your all dressed like a fisherperson and comfy cozy (except for your feet) how was the fishing???

DarkAisling
04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
soo now that your all dressed like a fisherperson and comfy cozy (except for your feet) how was the fishing???

It was a casting clinic (spey) today . . . I didn't have a fly on my line (just a hunk of yarn). It was awesome to be out there though!

Next Sunday #1 son and I have an all day fly fishing workshop. Then we're ready to hit the Bow with a vengeance :D

Cam T
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Commando!:innocent:

slingshotz
04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
It's too bad you didn't stay and fish DA, the surface was covered with little flies (have no idea what they were only that they were tiny). Trout were rising all over the place about 30 min after the clinic finished. Took me about half an hour to figure out how to cast a one hander again after that Spey clinic :lol:

First time out this season on the lower bow and managed a thick stubborn 17" brown and slightly smaller jumping bow on a dry fly. Wierd thing was that I matched the little fly as best I could and used a big caddis as my indicator, and they were all going for the caddis which looked like nothing that was floating.

Only got a crappy camera pic of the Brown.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/Bow/img101.jpg

DarkAisling
04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
First time out this season on the lower bow and managed a thick stubborn 17" brown and slightly smaller jumping bow on a dry fly. Wierd thing was that I matched the little fly as best I could and used a big caddis as my indicator, and they were all going for the caddis which looked like nothing that was floating.

Nice! Our feet were so stinkin' cold . . . we're big pansies :lol:

I'm glad you were able to find something that worked. I checked out those little flies as the landed on my waders . . . and I'm pretty sure I had nothing even close to them in my fly box.

WayneChristie
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM

I see youve met my ex as well :evilgrin:

Okotokian
04-13-2010, 08:19 PM
As the temp outside goes up i wear less, like maybe some shorts.

If it's that warm why bother with waders? Mine don't see the light of day in July or August. I just wear a pair of shorts and some old running shoes. Waders are for when you need to keep warm, IMHO

Albertadiver
04-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Well... I only have cheepee crappy tire waders.

But... when I wear my drysuit diving, I usually wear hiking (wicking) socks, and some underarmour (fleece kinda) pants. They make me feel so flexible, I just want to do yoga all day (insert pansy listhp here).

All kidding aside, a wicking layer to get sweat away from you and some fleece or other similar material to give you some trapped air which = insulation.

OOH OOH! (insert an even bigger pansy listhp here) if you REALLY want to be comfortable, get those fleece pants that have the stirrups to keep them from riding up your leg and getting your ankles cold.

....if only they made anti-wedgie underwear....

Wes_G
04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Aparently I am a big pansy then as I use the fleece pants made by Bare with the stirups that go down around the bottoms of your feet so they dont pull up to your waist when you pull your waders up. They work great, are super warm and I bought them at %40 off. I am not complaining.

Albertadiver
04-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Aparently I am a big pansy then as I use the fleece pants made by Bare with the stirups that go down around the bottoms of your feet so they dont pull up to your waist when you pull your waders up. They work great, are super warm and I bought them at %40 off. I am not complaining.

Sorry, not implying anything negative :lol:

Just can't help myself when I'm Soooo comfortable :lol:

rxxxm22
04-14-2010, 05:15 AM

lol.......there's no way i can fit anything else in there ....but wait !!!those pantyhose sound like a good idea