PDA

View Full Version : On Board Rod Storage options

FishinFreak
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Trying to come up with better rod storage options for my boat. I have a 08 Lund 1700; it has a rod locker in the passenger gunnel but its not that great an option. The rods just get tangled up. I think I remember a pic in an AO article that had the rods stored in a holer mounted on top of the gunnel but I've never been able to find such a thing. I need a solution that keeps 9 rods organized, untangled, and off the floor. Rods vary in size from little kids Scooby-Doo special to Daddy's 7.5 ft uglystick. Any ideas ??? I'm willing to build or buy the right solution.

Shmag
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Trying to come up with better rod storage options for my boat. I have a 08 Lund 1700; it has a rod locker in the passenger gunnel but its not that great an option. The rods just get tangled up. I think I remember a pic in an AO article that had the rods stored in a holer mounted on top of the gunnel but I've never been able to find such a thing. I need a solution that keeps 9 rods organized, untangled, and off the floor. Rods vary in size from little kids Scooby-Doo special to Daddy's 7.5 ft uglystick. Any ideas ??? I'm willing to build or buy the right solution.

Buy a better boat with rod storage:lol: OK just kidding, i would probably look at the berkley stand up style. That would probably take care of 5-6 of them, other than that not too sure what you can do.

honda450
04-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Ain't got a boat but i make fly rod cases out of PVC built in vacuum pipe. Cut to fit. Ya can buy the end pieces and glue one in and just cap the other. Cheap and effective. May not suit your needs though. Just an idea.:wave:

npauls
04-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I had the same problem as you and just ordered a dozen rod socks from bass pro. seems to have taken care of the tangles and makes it alot easier to get the rods out of the "box". I found my rod locker to skinny to make the wall style holder in there. Don't know if this helps but just thought I would suggest it.

Nate

FishinFreak
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks all; never thought of rod socks. That would atleast keep them seperated and upright storage would solve some of the problem as long as the top wasn't up (which is almost never). PVC pipe would be a great transport holder; might have to look into that.

AlbertanGP
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I've had a few Fisherman series boats. Those side rod lockers are of limited use, and certainly won't handle 9 rods. I used to use these (http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3855782&enlargeSkuz=21487&C=045.1&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=045.1&D=04) rod holders mounted vertically under the rear seat base up on the rear splashwell, if that makes sense. Right under the cupholders on the access door to the battery and oil tank in my last Lund pictured below (rod holder removed)...

http://albertan.smugmug.com/Boats/2005-Lund-1800-Fisherman-For/IMG6766/501589532_36BSc-X3.jpg

The rods were always out of the way and we could run with the top up if we needed to and still have the rods out from under foot. Hope that helps. Good luck.

floppychicken
04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I've had a few Fisherman series boats. Those side rod lockers are of limited use, and certainly won't handle 9 rods. I used to use these (http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3855782&enlargeSkuz=21487&C=045.1&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=045.1&D=04) rod holders mounted vertically under the rear seat base up on the rear splashwell, if that makes sense. Right under the cupholders on the access door to the battery and oil tank in my last Lund pictured below (rod holder removed)...

http://albertan.smugmug.com/Boats/2005-Lund-1800-Fisherman-For/IMG6766/501589532_36BSc-X3.jpg

The rods were always out of the way and we could run with the top up if we needed to and still have the rods out from under foot. Hope that helps. Good luck.

My unit fits RIGHT into that SEAT BASE / SkI-BAR holder right in front of the engine in the above pic! I WELDED it up and haven't even used it yet! Lookin forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks! It's merely for storage while onboard, but you can also add extensions to the vertical squares for trolling...

Cheers,

/J...

Hooker
04-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Go to the on line Bass Pro catalogue and check out 'G-lox Fishing Rod holders'. I installed a couple in my boat (an old open Lund) and they work great. Anyway, have a look. The may be what you want.

Mulestalker
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I installed your basic Berkley rod holder inside my rod locker,attached it to the sidewall of the locker (4 rod holder) so I can fit 4 rods into this plus another 3-5 on the floor of the locker. Also have velcro strips on the starboard side to hold 4 more rods,velco is wonderful stuff .... cheap but effective.