PDA

View Full Version : Nef Fly Fisher Need Help!

biggamehunter
04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Ok so I just am starting off fly fishing and I need help. Can you please answer these questions for me.

#1 If you are using a dry fly are you supoposed to get it to the bottom or are they just supposed to stay on top of the water? And does that wreck the fly if it goes down in the water? And do they sell the same flies dry and wet.
#2 Can nymphs go to the bottom of the water, and can they float on top as well? Also what about Terrestrials?

I know these probably sound like very dumb questions but I need to know. Thanks alot guys.

fishstix
04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Hello Biggamehunter

We were all 'nef' flyfishers at one time , so no question is bad.
Dry flies are made to float. Use some floatant and float all your dries. If your dry fly gets sumerged, let it dry off and use it again. Flies are only ruined when they fall apart. Nymphs usually imitate bugs in the water. They are usually fished by bouncing them off the bottom. There is lots to learn in fly fishing.
Dry fly fishing is quite exciting as you can see the fish rise up and eat your fly.

Good luck out on the rivers!!

Fishstix!!

Doc
04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok so I just am starting off fly fishing and I need help. Can you please answer these questions for me.

And do they sell the same flies dry and wet.
Also what about Terrestrials?

Some flies are available dry and wet like the royal coachman, mosquito, etc. But you would fish them differently.

Normally you would fish Terrestrials on top but some fly fisher folks swear that they fish better drowned. In my experience, I've had good success fishing them drowned in the past but better success fishing them on top.

Cheers,
Doc