PDA

View Full Version : Any commercial fishermen out there? I need to borrow a few nets :-)

Sundancefisher
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Please PM me.

I would like to test out some gill nets. I have only a 1 inch stretched mesh net and would like to try 2, 3, 4 inch stretched mesh.

If you have one, we can give it a spin. Any perch we catch you can keep for personal use. We will check the traps starting every 15 minutes and release any trout.

PM me and we can try this weekend. If I can just borrow the nets I can always find some volunteers.

Sincerely,

Sun

P.S. I will also say to bring your flyrod and we can flyfish for trout in between checking the nets.

fishstix
04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Sundancefisher.
What are you trying to catch with the nets?
Just wondering.?

Fishstix!!

nick0danger
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Riding lake sundance (private community lake in calgary) of the evil perch population.

Sundancefisher
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Sundancefisher.
What are you trying to catch with the nets?
Just wondering.?

Fishstix!!

:lol:

One would think that would be obvious by now.

I just noticed we have green striped yellow tarpon released into our lake. I need to get rid of them before people notice and flock to catch them in the winter.

jacenbeers
04-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I mentioned in the last post and will mention it again, I would be happy to volunteer.

hal53
04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
:lol:

One would think that would be obvious by now.

I just noticed we have green striped yellow tarpon released into our lake. I need to get rid of them before people notice and flock to catch them in the winter.
Green Striped Yellow Tarpon!!!!!??? just checked my 2 nets I still have but they are both 6" mesh, if u want the perch, 2" would be the max I would assume, member they're measured diagonally. tough to catch a decent size Perch,, ( tarpon???) in a 3" net

Sundancefisher
04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Green Striped Yellow Tarpon!!!!!??? just checked my 2 nets I still have but they are both 6" mesh, if u want the perch, 2" would be the max I would assume, member they're measured diagonally. tough to catch a decent size Perch,, ( tarpon???) in a 3" net

What size range of perch do you figure I could catch with a 1 inch mesh gill net?

http://wfs.sdstate.edu/wfsdept/Publications/Willis/113-F%20Lott%20Willis%20Yellow%20Perch.pdf

I found a study to review...

hal53
04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
What size range of perch do you figure I could catch with a 1 inch mesh gill net?
just guessing, but I would imagine anything under 7" is gone, just guessing:lol::lol:

Sundancefisher
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
just guessing, but I would imagine anything under 7" is gone, just guessing:lol::lol:

2008/2009 winter we saw an average perch size of 6 inches via angling. 2009/2010 winter we saw an average perch size of 8 inches via angling.

2009 our average perch length in the fyke net was about 6 inches.

We caught maybe 100 female perch out of 31565 caught in the nets...visual observation.

I am curious what the above study means by bar measurement of a gill net. I that diagonal or a squared side. The histograms seems to spell out well that you need 4 sizes to effectively catch perch.