PDA

View Full Version : spey ????

rxxxm22
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
so ...here's a new word for me .....google says it is 2 handed fly casting.......I was wondering if you guys have any problems with sore sholders and backs....it seems that this would be a much more physical deal as compared to ordinary 1 handed casting ......my shoulders and back bother me after a short while practicing 1 handed....

Shelly did you find it hard on the shoulders ?? and do you think you will "get into" this.......just curious:)

DarkAisling
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Shelly did you find it hard on the shoulders ?? and do you think you will "get into" this.......just curious:)

I found it really hard on the shoulders at first . . . just brutal . . . until a gent named "Max" showed me how he does it. When Max helped me out all of the pain went away :)

Max showed me how to use my torso instead of my arms to do a lot of the work, and that made a huge difference in my comfort level.

I'm feeling a little bit of pain in my right forearm and elbow, but I'm quite sure that is a result of the way I was casting before Max got involved.

This is certainly something that is going to "stick" for me (so to speak).

CDone
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
When done properly, spey casting should have little to no effect on your body. It is a great alternative for folks that do have joint problems (I had chronic tennis elbow), it is also the great equalizer for women and persons of shorter stature.
If you are interested in finding out more about 2 handed casting there will be a demo day on Saturday April 17th at South Bow Fly & Tackle, we'll probably end up at Policemans in the afternoon to try out some casts on the water.

Colin

DarkAisling
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
When done properly, spey casting should have little to no effect on your body. It is a great alternative for folks that do have joint problems (I had chronic tennis elbow), it is also the great equalizer for women and persons of shorter stature.
If you are interested in finding out more about 2 handed casting there will be a demo day on Saturday April 17th at South Bow Fly & Tackle, we'll probably end up at Policemans in the afternoon to try out some casts on the water.

Colin

You are the "Colin" who spent the whole time helping out my son (big fair-haired kid in the green neoprene waders) . . . correct?

CDone
04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
You are the "Colin" who spent the whole time helping out my son (big fair-haired kid in the green neoprene waders) . . . correct?
Yup,

DarkAisling
04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Yup,

Most excellent :)

#1 son was very pleased with everything you helped him with (as am I), and he felt no adverse effects from the casting.

I'd recommend that you head down there, Ron. You'll learn a lot, get to try out some gear, and meet some really good folks.

I don't think we'll be there on Saturday, as our weekend was planned before I learned about this, and things were just further complicated by having to help my sister-in-law move.

tatonkagp
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I have not got a spey rod yet, but after watching some of the people on youtube cast, It actually looks easier on your body then the one handed cast, and they punch out a crap load of line.

ULTRAlite
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
If it's the Max I'm thinking of... he's VERY good at spey casting. Here's a video of 83+ yr old Lefty Kreh describing how he casts with his body, not his arm/wrist/shoulder

Video with demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=svqnt0J1jNg&feature=related)

Video with explanation (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QfacY2VWq-4&feature=related)

DarkAisling
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
If it's the Max I'm thinking of... he's VERY good at spey casting.

Young guy (22), tall, thin, fair haired, and a pretty fast talker with lots of energy. :lol: He's very good at casting, but I think he still has to learn how to slow things down a little bit (and maybe dumb them down a little) when he's explaining things to a group of people. I understood him better when working one-on-one with him, but I really had to think about what he was saying due to the rate at which he speaks and demonstrates things. I've no doubt that as he gains more experience as an educator he'll become a truly phenomenal educator. He's a man with a very bright future, I think.

Here's a video of 83+ yr old Lefty Kreh describing how he casts with his body, not his arm/wrist/shoulder

Video with demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=svqnt0J1jNg&feature=related)

Video with explanation (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QfacY2VWq-4&feature=related)

Thank you :) I can't turn the video up loud enough at work, but I'll review them more closely when I get home.

ULTRAlite
04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Sounds like the guy... :) young with LOTS of potential. I've seen him casting and thought he was awesome. Never had any instruction from him though. I know of him through flyfishcalgary.com. His entomology knowledge is way far and beyond what I know.

I should mention that the Lefty videos are regular "unrolling" as Lefty calls it(casting) not spey casting. Should translate though. Never spey casted myself :)

DuckBrat
04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Colin

Is this in Calgary? I missed out on the demo last weekend, would like to try and make it down this time. Are the they going to be doing the demo on the river?

CDone
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Is this in Calgary? I missed out on the demo last weekend, would like to try and make it down this time. Are the they going to be doing the demo on the river?

There is going to be some tying demo's on Friday, tube flies for trout and steelhead. Saturday morning will be at the shop discussing rods, lines, ect. And then Saturday afternoon will be on the river, most likely at Policemans Flats. Sunday will be private casting lessons and you can get more info from South Bow.

Colin

lone wolf
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
so ...here's a new word for me .....google says it is 2 handed fly casting.......

Spey casting is a form of two-handed casting, but true Spey casting does not have a back cast, rather the line is kept on the water instead of being brought behind the angler using a traditional fly casting technique. It originated on the River Spey in Scotland which is notorious for trees/bushes along the bank - making regular fly casting difficult or impossible. Very similar to a roll cast, but with subtle differences. I have seen good practicioners put the full fly line in the air with a Spey cast. Rods are typically in the 14' - 16' range. I have 14' and a 15' (10/11 wt) rods that I used on the salmon rivers when I lived in Ireland.