PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Near Edmonton?

biggamehunter
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey I was wondering what are the closest river to beaumont or edmonton thats good for fly fishing. I just started and havnt done a lot of river fishing. I was thinking Mc Cloud river. The NSR is really muddy and I dont want to fish there

pdfish
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
The NSR is muddy? Not yet, but it will be soon, then after the middle of July it clears up again and its great for goldeyes.

crazyfish
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
if you don't mind the drive, try the little smokey by fox creek, great fishing for grayling!

crazyfish
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
a bit closer to home, try the red deer river by the dam, some pretty good whites and browns !

mikeym
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
are you talking rivers that are open right now for fishing? if so then you have to head south around Rocky Mtn House and hit either Prairie, Clearwater or Stauffer if they are ice free yet are probably your best bets at this time of year. Most of the rivers around Edson will still probably be dirty at this time.

if you are talking later in the season, then there are lots of different streams within about 1-1/2 to 2hrs of Edmonton that are fantastic. Little Smokey as above and Freeman to the NW (and lots of other smaller creeks in that area), Embarass, McLeod, Pembina and numberous tiny streams around Edson to the west and of course the Red Deer, Stauffer around Red Deer area and lots and lots of rivers around Rocky and Nordegg.

but around this time of year the ones around Rocky mentioned above are probably your best bet for being clear enough and the banks being snow free to actually navigate them.

rgds
Mike

jono88
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
i will also vouch for the little smoky. One of my favorite places to fish. Lots of grayling to be had as well as some large bull trout which are generally pretty eager. A majority of the river that is most popular to fish is catch and release for all species obviously bull trout through out the entire system. read up on the regs before heading out.

biggamehunter
04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
The nsr is pure mud in Devon.. Just went there yesturday. Couldnt see through in a foot of water. Thanks for the help though guys.

biggamehunter
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Is the red deer river cleared up?

DaveFish
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
The nsr is pure mud in Devon.. Just went there yesturday. Couldnt see through in a foot of water. Thanks for the help though guys.

Went to legends sunday, and it wasn't bad at all, cept for bergs in the morning

perchfinder
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
i see you guys are talking about little smoky for grayling; i'm guessing there are a few spots east of valleyview? was working up there last summer; should have done my homework and gone fishing after work! maybe next time.

fluxcore
04-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Is the red deer river cleared up?

no runoff nice and clear, closed as well

biggamehunter
04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh thanks never checked the regs!

The Fish King
04-15-2010, 11:53 AM
East of valleyview the river holds mainly pike, walleye, and goldeye. I have seen some mighty big walleyes taken out just by the bridge in valleyview tough

mikeym
04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
the best place for grayling on the Little Smokey is east of Fox Creek. there is only two easy access spots. no real big secret where they are, just look on most maps and the road is pretty plain to see.

like the previous post mentioned, mostly pike and walleye furhter upstream from the Hwy 43 crossing.

rgds
Mike