PDA

View Full Version : Clear lake turned over yet?

BiggDirty
04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey guys,

Was thinking of heading down to clear lake this weekend and was wondering if it has turned over yet? I've heard some peeps say that I should wait until it has turned over before attempting to fish it.

Comments?

nicemustang
04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
That's open for debate. Spring turnover can be a difficult time to fish. But for a lake like clear that is relatively shallow, turnover doesn't have much affect on the fish. Pike will bite anything and they should be warming themselves in shallow water. They will spook easily though so keep your distance.

Turnover just means that the ice is off the lake and the water density and temp is equal throughout the water column. This makes fishing difficult because fish will be scattered and there won't be any real patterns. But the water temp at the surface should rise quite nicely in the shallow lakes causing the turnover to stop. As I understand, depending on weather, turnover only lasts one or two windy days and as soon as the sun shines it should be over. It would be weeks by now since clear is open, so I would suspect the fishing to be not "hot" but it should be decent. Pitching cranks or spoons in warming bays should be OK.