PDA

View Full Version : Cross Coulee and horsefly reservoir

fotheringham
04-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I am bound and determined to get out there this weekend. I'm attempting to decide between Cross Coulee and Horsefly after learning that Burdett is a no boat lake... Does anyone know if either has a boat launch? Any past stories or experiences? Any other suggestions of places to go for a day from Calgary? Good Luck to all!

nicemustang
04-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Not sure on those two places...but if you want some suggestions that have open water, that you can fish on and you are leaving from calgary? Try Clear lake east of stavely or Lake Newell.

npauls
04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
i am looking at heading to cross coulee this weekend. There is a make shift boat launch there that you can sneek some little tin boats in to it. I launched my 14 foot aluminum in there last year but I wouldn't try to get anything bigger in there.

Nate

fotheringham
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks Nate.... I looked at the boat launch on google earth... Did you use the one near the canal outlet at the north end? We're hoping to launch a 18 footer off of it....

fotheringham
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Not sure on those two places...but if you want some suggestions that have open water, that you can fish on and you are leaving from calgary? Try Clear lake east of stavely or Lake Newell.

Thanks for the tip... I've neve fished Clear lake... Any success stories?

npauls
04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I think that is the one that I launch my little boat from. Not really a boat launch and has some nasty pot holes and big rocks that you have to avoid. I am thinking it is gonna be a tough launch for you with an 18footer. If it works out let me know cuz I will launch my big boat in there to haha. I will be out there tommorow night walking the shore lines tossing some hooks to see if I can find any shallow eyes cruising around.

Nate

NUK SOO KOW
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I use the launch on the north end, all right with a 4x4, lotsa big rocks, depends on water level. Was okay fishn, just small pike any time ive been there. Horsefly lake is surrounded by private property. I know of two place you might get a boat in with landowners permission. The lake is quite shallow. I havn't fished it much in the last few years but from what I remember back in the day it is loaded with pike and some nice ones too. You have to fish it before the weeds take over. I have never had my boat in there but would like to try it, I do remember 10-12 pounders as a kid. It seems like it doesn't get fished much anymore. Even in the ice season. I have fished the outlet canal on the north end, always catch a few. I think as long as you hit it up early enough it would be great, but the weeds develop quickly, and the last few times I've driven by the water looks like ****. The only reason I havn't tried the boat there yet. I'll throw on a post if I try it and let you know. Taber lake is great too, especialy when the bite is on. My dad and I have had 30+ fish days there, when the bites on in early spring. They fight hard and average 4 pounds. There are some monsters in there as well. Lotsa fun if you flyfish for the slough sharks!!

NUK SOO KOW
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
I should have said "pee"****

NUK SOO KOW
04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Has anyone ever caught anything good out of cross coulee? I've seen guys catch whitfish at the inlet, and I caught several small pike, like small enough to put in my fishtank small. Had my boat out several times and swear I fished every bay, point, weedbed in the place. Didn't even find anything on the fishfinder. A guy I know says he pulls out 20 pounders like crazy in the spring but I spent a ton of time on that lake last year and nothn. Even when all the other lakes are producing. I even went uptop to the ridge and caught some nice pikes the same day.

NUK SOO KOW
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
CPR lake north of coaldale is another lake that produces well, a boat is a must have though. VERY shallow lake, you need to get out far from shore. and again hit up before the weeds do. The outlet canal in the south east corner is all right from shore. I usually put my boat in the canal there when water levels and weeds allow. Hard fights and some big girls in there. My girlfriend hooked a big one when we were in the canoe. It pulled us around for a bit then line break. Never did see it, but it was big!! Water conditions suck right now, very murky.

Mark H
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
You can't get a boat in cross coulee yet, the water level is way to low in the spring, but you can launch a boat on horsefly, about halfway down the lake on the west side, you will want a 4x4 if you have a bigger boat.
May try Horsefly, or Taber this weekend.

Mark.