PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Hasse pikes?

moonyrat
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
:confused:
the topic is pretty self explanatory, any ideas of what to do if we actually caught pikes in Hasse?

AxeMan
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
First thing I would do is ask the dumb thing why he bit my hook instead of eating one of the zillion little perch down there. :D

Albertafisher
04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I think you have to release them because they are there to control the perch population. but there is great pike action at coal lake and you can keep them there.

180+
04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
take a picture and put it back let em eat all those micro perch!!:lol:

S.A.S
04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
How is the trout fishing there?

MAC
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Throw it back. That is all you can do without breaking any laws.

From the regs

The harvest of species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings" for each Watershed Unit.

Hasse Lake (13-52-2-W5) – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Perch limit 15.

Releasing Prohibited Fish
You must immediately release every fish that cannot be legally kept because of species, catch limit, size limit or other regulation, without exception, even if the fish is injured or dead. When the fish is alive, you must release it in a manner that causes the least harm to the fish.

mooseknuckle
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I think you have to release them because they are there to control the perch population. but there is great pike action at coal lake and you can keep them there.

They where illegally introduced. They were not pit there to control the perch population, that being said they still have to be thrown back. I think it's too late for that lake unless they chemically kill em all than it's another warm water pike pond! Those trout don't stand a chance

Rob Miskosky
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey guys, you may want to read this thread.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56900

mooseknuckle
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, you may want to read this thread.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56900

I beleive that backs up my last post, looks like another pike pond!

Dak1138
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
If the pond is not going to be stocked anymore , then why can't you keep the pike which is not suppose to be there ? I think this question should be directed to the proper authorities .

lyallpeder
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
If the pond is not going to be stocked anymore , then why can't you keep the pike which is not suppose to be there ? I think this question should be directed to the proper authorities .

maybe so the guy that put them in the lake will not be allowed to keep any. after all a person that illegally stocks a lake will follow the regs to a tee, right?

Paul C
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
When I catch a fish that I do not want I hold the hook close to the eye of the fish and yell at the fish and say " dont ever touch my hook again".:evilgrin:

moonyrat
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
When I catch a fish that I do not want I hold the hook close to the eye of the fish and yell at the fish and say " dont ever touch my hook again".:evilgrin:

:evilgrin::evilgrin:

Rob Miskosky
04-15-2010, 09:28 AM

The reason is as lyallpeder suggests. If you allow pike or perch to be kept, then what's to stop the bucket biologists from destroying other stocked trout ponds?

The guy who illegally introduced these fish should not be allowed to benefit from his illegal activities.

The problem now is that Hasse will no longer be stocked with trout, and the fishery has been ruined. To correct things, rotenone has to be used to kill off the entire lake. Problem is, rotenone is very expensive and not guaranteed to kill every fish. So, what to do? The hope is to educate the bucket biologists into realizing that what they are doing is destroying valuable fisheries, not creating better fisheries.

spopadyn
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I am a bit confused. hasse starts out as a trout lake - someone puts a bucket of perch in and the perch pop. explodes. Then, F&W allow for harvest of perch. Perch continue to dominate and finally start stunting. The lake is full of small perch and skinny trout. f&W do nothing. So, someone adds pike to the mix. Those pike in the pic look like they have been at a Las Vegas buffet. The pike (ohh how scary) a native Ab. species are the top of food chain at Hasse, so now F&W will no longer stock trout there. So what? It had become a useless trout lake ayway. F&W either need to poison off the lake or let the pike grow big. If those pike eat unhlimited perach for a few years, we will all be ranting about how great Hasse is for trophy pike.

What this really points to is that F&W take too long to act. They are always behind and people get frustrated and do there own thing. Personally, if F&W doesn't want to do anything (now theres a big surprise), they should allow for UNLIMITED HARVEST of the pike and perch in Hasse and let the crazy anglers clean out his lake. Trust me, the pike will be allowed to be harvested in the future at Hasse. If they are already there, start the harvest and see if angling can't get rid of them.

spopadyn
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Oh, by the way. I have never fished Hasse, live in Southern Alberta and I don't own any buckets.

DaveFish
04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I am a bit confused. hasse starts out as a trout lake - someone puts a bucket of perch in and the perch pop. explodes. Then, F&W allow for harvest of perch. Perch continue to dominate and finally start stunting. The lake is full of small perch and skinny trout. f&W do nothing. So, someone adds pike to the mix. Those pike in the pic look like they have been at a Las Vegas buffet. The pike (ohh how scary) a native Ab. species are the top of food chain at Hasse, so now F&W will no longer stock trout there. So what? It had become a useless trout lake ayway. F&W either need to poison off the lake or let the pike grow big. If those pike eat unhlimited perach for a few years, we will all be ranting about how great Hasse is for trophy pike.

What this really points to is that F&W take too long to act. They are always behind and people get frustrated and do there own thing. Personally, if F&W doesn't want to do anything (now theres a big surprise), they should allow for UNLIMITED HARVEST of the pike and perch in Hasse and let the crazy anglers clean out his lake. Trust me, the pike will be allowed to be harvested in the future at Hasse. If they are already there, start the harvest and see if angling can't get rid of them.

SRD just laid off a lot of people(including people from my family) and got their budget cut by 49% man....they have no money to do pretty much anything, if you want SRD to manage stock ponds/etc more, write a letter, and get 30000 of your friends to write letters. SRD is stretched thin as heck, and is doing all they can with the peanuts left in the budget.

McLeod
04-15-2010, 11:50 AM
SRD just laid off a lot of people(including people from my family) and got their budget cut by 49% man....they have no money to do pretty much anything, if you want SRD to manage stock ponds/etc more, write a letter, and get 30000 of your friends to write letters. SRD is stretched thin as heck, and is doing all they can with the peanuts left in the budget.

Or better yet..redirect the fisheries money..or most of it that goes to the ACA and use on the priorities such as the above !

spopadyn
04-15-2010, 09:56 PM

So if they arestrectched, open it up to crazy anglers and let them hammer the lake. No work at all for them. Man, the logic of F&W is completely alien to me.

spopadyn
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Went out and bought the magazine for a two page article. Personally, the one part about the fact the way more people fish for Perch, Walleye and Pike makes a great deal of sense. Why not create more of these lakes? It is a shame that every body of water needs to be stocked with trout when most anglers don't fish for them. This could be the motivation behind the so called bucket brigades.