PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any boat building plans free

fishnut9
04-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Well all i have is a rubber dinghy and i know one day it will eventually have too many holes to work. I want to buy a boat but a canoe is like 600$ and a row boat thats aluminum is too heavy. So i was thinking of making a wooden row boat myself. I have looked at videos on youtube and i have the jist of how to make a boat out of plywood. I need the stitch and glue plywood style. Not the old fashioned strip by strip style. Any ideas anyone and has anyone tried this yet. I know you guys are gonna say buy a boat but put it this way. A row boat is minimum 800 bucks. Well 3 sheets of 4x8 plywood is 200 at the most. Epoxy, fiberglass clothes and paint is less than 100. I also have 3 days a week off. And the best part is when your buddy asks how much it costs you can proudly say you made it

surhuntsalot
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
I don't think you'll be able to build a plywood boat much lighter than an aluminum one. I have seen older, but still good 12' aluminum boats for $400, and canoes used for $250 (sometimes less). There will be more & more of them for sale in the bargain finder & online. Another cheaper lightweight option to consider would be an aluminum jon boat.

Another thing that doesn't hurt is if your goin about the city (or country), and see a canoe or boat in the yard that obviously hasn't moved in a while... Knock on the door, ask if they'd like to sell it & make them an offer. You'd be supprised what people don't use anymore, and would let go for next to nothing...

Kim473
04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Check here

http://svensons.com/boat/

And do a search free boat plans

Big Bull
04-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Building a boat will not save you money. Trust me! If you love wooden hand crafted boats, then go for it. If you just want an affordable boat, buy used.

aulrich
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I have had the build a boat bug for years, for me it's a drift boat. But now there seems to be tons out there and by the time I gave boght 6-8 sheet of marine grade ply a couple of gallons of resin, + cloth ++++ buying used makes sense.

Unless half of the fun is the building then money is not the limiting factor. It's still on my radar, but it sounds alot like a retirement sort of thing.

Years ago I bought a 14' aluminum cartopper with a 15 hp johnson 1500$ at the time I added a 350$ trailer a while later. It drifts the bow handles calm lakes so it was well worth the price.

Have the cash ready but wait for a deal they are out there. Like it was told to me for a car topper if the water stays outside it's good, there not for looks.

fishnut9
04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
well the problem i have is that i have never seen an aluminum boat small enough to fit on my small car. Whenever i do look in the bargain hunter all i see are these large power boats and aluminum boats over 1000$. Anyone have a small canoe or aluminum boat for sale less than 500$. When i say small i mean 2 people small.

icefisher11
04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Got a 10' jon boat two swivel seats. weighs about 80 or less without the seat on. for sale 500.

icefisher11
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
sorry for two post. here are pics.

fishnut9
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
sorry for two post. here are pics.

Lol sorry i forgot to mention i live in grande prairie. Calgary is kinda far for me lol.

icefisher11
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
lol ya i would say thats a bit far

aulrich
04-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I remember being stuck with a small car (1980 VW rabbit) I used a roof rack. That same roof rack is not wide enough for my 14' er, so that buddy's boat must have been at most a 12'er.

A surprising number of deer, bear and other things made it home in that car. Spring is not the best time to find deals on boats but you should be able to find something.

here are some plans, so you can get a feel for the size of the job.
http://www.devlinboat.com/5x10.php

This is the one sticking in my imagination.

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_cana.html

fishnut9
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
what is the best time to go boat hunting

KyleM
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Building a boat properly will waste more than just this summers fishing season with just evenings and weekends building. Getting setup with the right tools for building something like that will cost 10 times more than a cheap aluminum boat.

Do you look on kijiji? Or this websites for sale section?
I just sold a really good old Coleman canoe for 250 bucks with paddles....infact I sold it tonite and Im located 25 min north of GP.

Go to McGoverns RV...they have jon boats for under 1000 bucks that are brand new.

fishnut9
04-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Building a boat properly will waste more than just this summers fishing season with just evenings and weekends building. Getting setup with the right tools for building something like that will cost 10 times more than a cheap aluminum boat.

Do you look on kijiji? Or this websites for sale section?
I just sold a really good old Coleman canoe for 250 bucks with paddles....infact I sold it tonite and Im located 25 min north of GP.

Go to McGoverns RV...they have jon boats for under 1000 bucks that are brand new.

NOt meaning to be rude here but im not looking to buy or build a boat right now. Im talking about a couple years from now when my dinghy gives out. And yes i have looked at kijiji but only your canoe was for sale the rest were these high powered jet boats. I never knew mcgoverns sold small aluminum boats. I thought they were jet boats only. Thanks for the tip ill start looking this summer when my budget is a little higher. Man a wedding isnt cheap. 4 grand for a photographer can you believe that. THats a small jet boat for me. Oh well only once in your life right? I hope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0NRrFGcyM&feature=email this is the boat i was thinking of making. If you notice he doesnt really have any special tools just a few brushes and a couple saws.

aulrich
04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
I think fall is the best when people are thinking about storing stuff.

Also think of it like supply and demand. I would think spring time is the most natural time for folks to buy a boat, so demand is up, so "stock" turns over fast. In fall if something does not sell the price goes down if the owner wants the cash.

Building would be a time sink (the drift boat would be 6 months of evenings and weekends according to some of the posts I have read), but then again folks rebuild cars and such. You do it because you want to. But the boat would take way less tools. A skiff really should not be that hard. google the "one sheet skiff".

kmic
04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't give up on the building your own boat idea. You might need to reevaluate the cost/benefit side of things as it can get expensive in a hurry but the self satisfaction of doing it yourself could be worth it to you. I built my own driftboat 2 years ago and love it. Invested about 4 months (very part time) into it and it turned out not too bad. Its a long way from some of the works of art you see on the internet but it is extremely functional and was a ton of fun to build. Its a stitch and glue style like you mentioned and could be built with minimal tools. If your into that kind of thing (building stuff) you might find it very rewarding, if your just looking for a quick cheap boat to replace your inflatable the above posts have it right.

fishnut9
04-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Don't give up on the building your own boat idea. You might need to reevaluate the cost/benefit side of things as it can get expensive in a hurry but the self satisfaction of doing it yourself could be worth it to you. I built my own driftboat 2 years ago and love it. Invested about 4 months (very part time) into it and it turned out not too bad. Its a long way from some of the works of art you see on the internet but it is extremely functional and was a ton of fun to build. Its a stitch and glue style like you mentioned and could be built with minimal tools. If your into that kind of thing (building stuff) you might find it very rewarding, if your just looking for a quick cheap boat to replace your inflatable the above posts have it right.

Well i want to replace my inflatable but i also want to build something cool. I doesnt matter to me how long it takes. I need a new hobby anyways all i do is play videogames and im getting a little old for that. I want something to be proud of.

kmic
04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Sounds to me like you'd have a great time building your own! Again see above posts in regard to cost, but the first time you float that thing you will be amped! Check out "Montana Riverboats" for some inexpensive plans. There is a boat building forum you can access as well with some great advice. I built the "Honky Dory" but think the "Beavertail" is more suited to Alberta waters. Good luck!