PDA

View Full Version : buying new trout rod, need some opinion

sdlau
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm looking to buy a new spinning trout rod this year, fish mainly in Alberta. I was looking at the Rapala TS2 6'4 ML rod but I would like opinions of other trout fishermen in what they would recommened ( Length,power and Action of the rod).
Thanks

TexasTornado
04-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm looking to buy a new spinning trout rod this year, fish mainly in Alberta. I was looking at the Rapala TS2 6'4 ML rod but I would like opinions of other trout fishermen in what they would recommened ( Length,power and Action of the rod).
Thanks

6' Light Fast Action St. Croix Premier

camshaft
04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
You need to ask yourself a few questions first:

Are u fishing tiny creeks/streams, floating a river such as the bow or red deer, casting to tiny pothole lakes? And more imporatntly, what is your budget?

If casting space wont be restricted (ie ur not casting in heavy cover) use the longest rod u feel comfortable with. I prefer at least a 7ft.

That being said, asking for power recommendations is quite pointless as most people use this as a inaccurate guide to choose their rod selection. U really need to match the weight of your lures to the rod u will be using as opposed to the line power (ie 6-17lb). A ML in one rod may be completely different in another manufacturers rod. My 7ft light is rated 1/16- 5/16 because that is the common size spinners I'm chucking. I dont even look at the line rating as its pointless.

Generally speaking, ur best bet for trout will be a light or med light rod depending on the length and brand. The longer rod u go with, will enable u to get by with a lighter line as the longer length of the rod will act as a shock absorber. Plus, u will be able to cast light lures farther with the longer rod. I like fast action, but again, whats fast in one company may not be in another.

I personally like shimano compre rods due to their low price $100 roughly, and their lifetime warranty. Of course, ask 10 people and u will likely get 10 different answers. Bottom line, go at least 7ft IMO.

McDeth
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, 7 foot MINIMUM. 8'6" is a perfect length for my trout spinning gear. I would take a look at some other rods before you look at the TS2 again....the guides are garbage.