PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Option for Spey Reels

DarkAisling
04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
We've got two big Albright (http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/gp-fly-rods.html) spey rods at home: one is an 10/11 and the other is a 9/10. I bought them a month ago as they were pretty good value, but I was a bit learly that we'd be overgunned for pike fishing.

Anyhoo, these things need reels. I don't want to spend a whack of cash on the reels for them. I did purchase a Teton Tioga Magnum 12 reel off of a forum member to use on one of them (#1 son's 10/11), but now I'm not sure about the pairing.

:confused:

fishpro
04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
If you go to Bass Pro they have the Okuma SLV 10-11 which is quite a large heavy reel, has a good drag and is under $100. I've used the smaller models, a 4-5 and an 8-9 and they are great reels for the money.

DarkAisling
04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
If you go to Bass Pro they have the Okuma SLV 10-11 which is quite a large heavy reel, has a good drag and is under $100. I've used the smaller models, a 4-5 and an 8-9 and they are great reels for the money.

Do you think the Tioga I bought off you would be a good idea for either of the rods, or would it be wise to use the Okuma on both of the spey rods? Even though I purchased it to put on the 10/11, I don't know if I trust #1 son with a reel that nice :o

Kingfisher
04-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Shelley the reel isn't as important as the line you match up with the rods. The reel really only holds line. When you get into catching larger fish that like to run, like a salmon then the drag becomes way more important. The Amundson line has a good 9/10 reel it is the TXS model. It retails for $139. Not a bad price for a spey reel. You can check all the reels out here.http://amundson.ca/accessories/flyreels/reels.html

Rob

DarkAisling
04-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Shelley the reel isn't as important as the line you match up with the rods. The reel really only holds line. When you get into catching larger fish that like to run, like a salmon then the drag becomes way more important. The Amundson line has a good 9/10 reel it is the TXS model. It retails for $139. Not a bad price for a spey reel. You can check all the reels out here.http://amundson.ca/accessories/flyreels/reels.html

The prices on some of that Amundson stuff really amaze me. $139 bucks for a fly reel that is machined (not cast). Nice.

raoul
04-16-2011, 06:09 PM
i have the amundson 9/10 txs reel on a 5pc dragonfly kamloops rod. amazing reel and you can switch it from lefty to righty as well(instructions online). the one problem is matching up a line for my rod. i was checking out the sharkskin sal****er by scientific angler has anyone used this or have any advice?

slingshotz
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Amundson stuff is pretty amazing for the price. I have the 3/4/5 TXS reel and it's so durable and smooth.

jeprli
04-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Ever tried a cassette reel? Snowbee xsd or Greys x-flite, Airflo and many others?

They retail from around $150-$200 and you get 3-4 extra spools in the kit, makes for a quick and easy line change.