PDA

View Full Version : Is there a fly shortage in grande prairie

fishnut9
04-16-2010, 04:20 AM
I went to whosale sports today cause it was the only one open at 8pm. I went to the fly section and it was totally empty except for a few mouse flies. I was like wtf did the world run out of string, feathers and hair. Anyone know anything about this.

GummyMonster
04-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Morning,
What I was told by someone at the fishing counter awhile ago was this. They had all their flies on sale through the winter to clear them out, making room for new stock from a new supplier, which will let them have better selection and quality. You would think they would already have them, but when wholesale expanded a couple years ago, their supply/marketing people did not look for larger suppliers for the stock they were carrying, so it has been a real struggle to get the volumes they need for all the new stores.Also, Grande Prairie does not have the customer base that the southern stores do, so stock distribution is not even throughout the province. The guys in G.P. don't really have any say as far as what they get for stock. What comes is what comes.

Basically poor management at the corporate level, not the local guys.
I sure hope they get these problems cleared up, as I like the store and most of the staff(especially the fishing guys/gals) have been great to deal with IMO.

Hope they get their flies in soon though, as I can't wait to try some foam flies and stock up on others , as I have come to really enjoy chasing trout with flies behind a bobber.
Sorry if this is longwinded, but I hope the answer helps. You might try the Tackle Shack, maybe they can help you.
Good luck
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

rigger1
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
yeah i don't know about the wholesale sports here, I find they kind of suck for anything i am looking for, so i go to the tackle shack for flies and to crappy tire for anything else. Like I was looking for Rapala countdowns the other day in there and they tried to tell me they don't make them anymore, Why would Rapala discontinue one of its top lures?

WaterSkeeter
04-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Looking for flys PM me, sell my flys and there better quality then anything you can buy at the stores thats for sure.

shark
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
just buy flys online from www.theflystop.com they arrive very quickly and better quality than anything you can find in the stores and way cheaper to!! Now I am all for shopping locally and supporting our own people but if our local stores cant supply the quantity and quality then its time to look elsewhere!!!

Paul C
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I went to whosale sports today cause it was the only one open at 8pm. I went to the fly section and it was totally empty except for a few mouse flies. I was like wtf did the world run out of string, feathers and hair. Anyone know anything about this.
Wholesale have a new supplier for flies and they are just getting it organized. Last week the shop on yellowhead trail was in the process of stocking there bins.

tatonkagp
04-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Fishnut send me a pm, I live in GP and might be able to work out a deal with you.