PDA

View Full Version : Carson lake

thorne
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
OK I know the regs/lake name, are screwy for this lake...can anyone who knows the lay-mans terms explain this....its on my to do list this year...

Paul C
04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
OK I know the regs/lake name, are screwy for this lake...can anyone who knows the lay-mans terms explain this....its on my to do list this year...
The name of the campground is carson pegasus. The name of the lake is mcloed. Just google the info you want. Cheers :D

thorne
04-17-2010, 06:52 AM
thanks for the info...I thought it was sonething like that, just wanted a confirmation!

Paul C
04-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Carson lake opened yesterday apr 22,2010. This is very early for this lake. I has a history of opening up 2nd or 3 rd week in may.
Happy Trout Hunting :wave:

thorne
04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Man you beat me to it!! Just found out through the fish and game guys! Game on boys!!

deanmc
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
wow that is early. thanks I had not heard.:wave:

bearbait
04-24-2010, 08:50 AM
name of the trout lake is carson...mc cloud lake is located just before carson and is a pike lake...just so u know...

thorne
04-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Ya this name thing is gonna drive me crazy....what I know is...the "TROUT LAKE" just north of the Whitecourt area has the ice off and is open for fishing according to the F&W in that area. If you can confirm that Bearbait it would be awsome! I would really hate to drive up there next weekend with 4 buddies and find out this mis-name thing got some communications crossed and it is still iced...:tongue2:

bearbait
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
as far as i know its open water...may still be some ice flaoting around but fishing at this time of year on carson is crazy...well worth the trip...never seen it open up this early..good luck and great fishing!!
rob

thorne
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Awsome! Thanks for he info! Hey if you are not doing anything on Sat drop by the lake and say hi! Been dying to get the boat up there for a while!

bearbait
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
ill see what happens...always get funny looks when i drop the boat in carson..it gets called an ocean liner...if im there u will see me..lol
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/boat11.jpg

thorne
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok we are gonna get along just fine...I dropped my 18' ski boat in Dolber last year.....never realised how small that hole was until I got there...guys in the tubes were giving me weird looks...kinda felt like a bit of a smhuck...:evilgrin:

bearbait
04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
yup i hear ya...lol mines 24 ft and 430 supercharged hp...carson has a 15 km speed limmit...lol...i have to idle around..

thorne
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Awsome man! I admire your restraint! Well I will definately spot you if you are there...like I said I have the black and white 18 footer..

jeezy187
04-25-2010, 12:04 AM
so what you guys are saying is that the boat launch is open right now??

HunterDave
04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Guys, I was thinking about heading up there in my 12' aluminum but I'm not sure if there will be room on the lake with your two boats?:lol:

I haven't been up there for years but it's not too far from here and I might free up a day to go out this week. I used to troll there with a willow branch, hook and a worm and always did well. This time of year would I fish the same way or will just a Cleo be enough?

Also I wanted to ask bearbait how the Whitecourt fire is. Will I get smoked out right now or are things sorted out?

javlin101
04-25-2010, 05:33 AM
ill see what happens...always get funny looks when i drop the boat in carson..it gets called an ocean liner...if im there u will see me..lol
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/boat11.jpg

Yikes & I thought my 16ft Crestliner with 140hp Nissian was overkill at Carson. I bow to you sir.:lol:

bearbait
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
they got the fires under control...a little smoke but its not bad at all...this time of year i use a slip bobber and shrimp or worm...but trolling small pluggs and spoons work as well....if the back was better i would fly fish as well...the fish are hungry and theres alot of them in carson...
good luck guys

Paul C
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/boat11.jpg This photo is good for a few laughs because the speed on the lake is 15 km per hour.

Paul C
04-25-2010, 12:23 PM
they got the fires under control...a little smoke but its not bad at all...this time of year i use a slip bobber and shrimp or worm...but trolling small pluggs and spoons work as well....if the back was better i would fly fish as well...the fish are hungry and theres alot of them in carson...
good luck guys Here is a photo of the fish I catch from shore.:D

HunterDave
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Here is a photo of the fish I catch from shore.:D

Now that's what I'm talking about! Four of those in the freezer and one in the frying pan would do me nicely. I definitely have to find a day to go out this week. Thanks for the picture Paul!:wave:

thorne
04-25-2010, 03:16 PM
was that carson?? never knew there were browns in there....ok now I am really stoked!!

blackmamba
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
was that carson?? never knew there were browns in there....ok now I am really stoked!!

:huh: ???? that photo is definately not a brown, looks like a rainbow to me!!

AxeMan
04-25-2010, 05:13 PM
:huh: ???? that photo is definately not a brown, looks like a rainbow to me!!

You are right on, BM. That fish of Pauls out of Carson Lake is a male rainbow. Here are a few I caught. You can see the distinct difference between the 2 hen rainbows and the "rooster".

HunterDave
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
It doesn't look like a rooster either.:lol:

They used to have a little write up by the boat launch about how many rainbows they put into the lake every year. The relm site should have the info but I think that it was somewhere about 250,000 fingerlings per year. Shoot! Now I have to go looking for it.:lol:

HunterDave
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
June 09 - 226,700 Rainbow 10 cm

Sep 09 - 176,800 Rainbow 13 to 16 cm

Paul C
04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
June 09 - 226,700 Rainbow 10 cm

Sep 09 - 176,800 Rainbow 13 to 16 cm
I talked to the care taker in the camp ground and he told me in 2008 they put in 750,000 trout. Meet the other Mr. Rainbow.:D

thorne
04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok got ya! Paul I was spitting bloody murder when I saw posted when i just logged on...thought for sure you were gonna show me a pic of a Hog you pulled out this afternoon...I got so trigger happy I headed off to Cardiff...or what is left of it I should say...got the big ZERO, NADA, ZIP, SWEET F*** ALL!! So you showing me a pic of a nice 5lber would have made me call in sick tomorrow! btw...nice fish! See ya next weekend....

Paul C
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Here is tonites catch at laurel lake. Fun ultra-lite fishing :D
Picture by Mr. Axeman. Thx Dave :wave:

bearbait
04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
the pic of the boat is at shinning bank lake...not carson...lol..

mooseknuckle
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Awsome! Thanks for he info! Hey if you are not doing anything on Sat drop by the lake and say hi! Been dying to get the boat up there for a while!

Hey Buddy so I'm torn here I really want to open up the throttle this weekend but I also want to fish. First trip out in the boat this season I don't know if I can keep it 15kmph:lol::lol:

I'll let you know as the weekend approaches

Paul C
04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Buddy so I'm torn here I really want to open up the throttle this weekend but I also want to fish. First trip out in the boat this season I don't know if I can keep it 15kmph:lol::lol:

I'll let you know as the weekend approaches
Pedal to the metal......oops that sould say stick to the fiberglass.:lol:

Kim473
04-28-2010, 06:33 AM
I thought carson was a HP limit not a speed limit?

Paul C
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I thought carson was a HP limit not a speed limit?
There is no restriction on size of motor but you can only go 15 km/h.
This is on the lakes that f&w has there own boat house and boat.
Happy Fish Hunting.:wave:

BuckHunterBowen
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
was there last weekend fishing wasnt as good as it usually is this early i almost think its too early...will be there this weekend comin up we will be in the white duramax, citation 5th wheel, and 20ft sport angler with a 225 merc supercharged verado stop by and say high :wave:

Paul C
04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
was there last weekend fishing wasnt as good as it usually is this early i almost think its too early...will be there this weekend comin up we will be in the white duramax, citation 5th wheel, and 20ft sport angler with a 225 merc supercharged verado stop by and say high :wave:
Where did you fish on the lake ?

thorne
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
hey Paul any other word on Carson, did you manage to fish it at all this week?

Paul C
04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
hey Paul any other word on Carson, did you manage to fish it at all this week?
I have not fished there yet but people who know me and my business know I always do well there. Send me a pm to look at the proof.:wave:
Here is a photo of the black head on this Mr. Rainbow

Paul C
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Carson lake opened yesterday apr 22,2010. This is very early for this lake. I has a history of opening up 2nd or 3 rd week in may.
Happy Trout Hunting :wave:
For those who are asking about the Carson lake: THE LAKE IS OPEN.

thorne
04-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info Paul, i really appriciate it. Definately will be out there Sat. Have a buddy driving from Lethbridge to ga as well...looks like the weather will be a bit nicer up your way! So if you are there Ill say hi for sure! And thanks again!

JohninAB
04-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Be there tomorrow as well. See you out there.

mooseknuckle
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Should be out there saturday... might be a little later noon-1. You can't miss me i'll be in a 76 Stuery with the 75 chrysler white/poop brown. Hope to see some of you out there. Finally got my boaters card, and all my insurance/registration BS taken care of. Gassed up and everthing seems to be running good (in the backyard) that is. Would love to hook into some bows.:wave:

Paul C
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Should be out there saturday... might be a little later noon-1. You can't miss me i'll be in a 76 Stuery with the 75 chrysler white/poop brown. Hope to see some of you out there. Finally got my boaters card, and all my insurance/registration BS taken care of. Gassed up and everthing seems to be running good (in the backyard) that is. Would love to hook into some bows.:wave:
Nice color poop brown, it is close to mars bar brown? :evilgrin::lol:

mooseknuckle
04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Nice color poop brown, it is close to mars bar brown? :evilgrin::lol:

My dads term is accutally S%$T BRINDLE BROWN!!:lol: Go ahead and say it out loud and try not to smile:lol:

bearbait
05-01-2010, 06:56 AM
boat cleaned running and loaded...be at carson by 8:30am...see u guys there!!!
rob

JohninAB
05-01-2010, 07:16 AM
I will be there around 11, black and silver Crestliner single console.

Dougie55
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry to challenge you Bearbait, but Carson Lake is the old name for McLeod Lake. The smaller lake beside it is Little McLeod Lake, which used to be called Pegasus, and has Pike, Perch and Whites in it.
So...
Carson = McLeod
Pegasus = Little McLeod

The McLeod names are now how you will find them in the regs.

bearbait
05-01-2010, 03:08 PM
yes u r right...

bearbait
05-01-2010, 03:09 PM
was good to see u guys out there...sorry john i saw u but did not put 2 & 2 together...was a great morning lake was like glass sun was out...to bad i had to leave by 1 pm....fishing was awsome...non stop in the am!!

mooseknuckle
05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Was a pretty nice day out there today!!! I couldn't get one in the boat for the life of me but they sure were biting I know thorne and friends were bringing them in not stop, a thanks to you buddy for helping me get started today. First time in a "real boat" with the wife and three kids I was a little overwhelmed at first. But as the day went on got my boating skills back. That was actually my first time loading the boat got her second try so I'll take it and didn't hold anyone else up. I did realize today that a guy should spent as much time checking/maintaining his trailer as well as the boat... Nothing major just an adjustment here and there, new rope on the cranky crank. And one of the lights doesn't seal anymore (35 years old) so I picked up a new light kit for the trailer and plan on fixing it tomorrow. Would definately go back maybe just with a buddy so a guy can take the time to tie the proper gear for all the trout rather then stressing about little ones going overboard:lol:

but they sure where good and really just liked putting around!! I think it might be another year before they have the patience for fishing.

JohninAB
05-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes fishing was good. mooseknuckle trolled by you but think I could remember your name. Old age is catching up to me. bearbait when you left, think the water level dropped 2 feet, nice boat you have there. Saw thorne and waved. We stayed till around 6 pm and left. thorne was still out there.

All in all a good day.

mooseknuckle
05-02-2010, 08:08 AM
You were in the crestliner? Yeah I recall seing you maybe you heard the kids saying hi every 10 seconds.:lol: did you manage to catch dinner? I didn't see anyone catch anything really huge but even the guy on shore was hauling them in honestly every 2-3 minutes maybe!!! I've never been much for trout fishing which shows when you open my tackle box I had very little for small hooks which might be why I couldn't set one!!! But again nice just to get out with fam for a day, we've decided to try camping there at some point this summer lake is nice the prov. Park seems nice and it's not to bad of a drive from the chuck.:wave:

thorne
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Ahhh Yes a great day fishing! Sorry John, I never checked the poast after you said you would be there...thought it looked like your boat...bad manners on my part, my apologies...ya the weather turned a little off around supper time, but it cleared up to what it was like in the morning again for the final streatch. We called it quits by 8:30...it really was kicking in the evening! Glad everyone had fun, and thanks again to Paul for sharing his info! Great day guys!

Paul C
05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Here is a few of photos to look at. I caught 50 plus rainbows off the boat lanuch. I saw Thorne on the other side of the lake fishing near the boat launch. I assume they did well. I also caught 4 brooke trout but they are very small. :wave: It sure was windy and cold.

JohninAB
05-02-2010, 09:31 AM
PaulC, you were sitting in the chair by the blue van if I am not mistaken. While loading my boat saw the other two catch a couple of not bad ones.

mooseknuckle, sorry did not hear your kids saying hi else I would have said hi back. Looked like they were having fun though. Yeah partner took 5 bigger ones home for a fish fry.

thorne no problems. Looked like you were having good success out there.

Was thinking I should head back up there today but noone around to go with. Oh well, guess yard work for today.

Paul C
05-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I was sitting there fishin and drinking coffee with baileys.:D

mooseknuckle
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Ahhh that was you Paul I was thinking Id be better off pulling a seat up next to that guy!!! Looks you made out very well.

Paul C
05-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Lots of fisherman go on the lake but are fishing to far from shore.
Trout are moving in the shallows and are still spawning. I did not catch anything over three pounds. The fishing will gradually get better. I did not catch alot of trout because it is a little bit too soon. I think next weekend the fishing should improve for catching larger fish. Here is another photo from Dolberger trouties :D Cheers :):wave: Dolberg was ok but again I caught lots of dinkers. Next weekend should better.

thorne
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I hear ya paul, but to be honest...thanks to the new HDS I found most of the 100 or so trout we caught on the bottom in 25-30 feet of water jigging with works and powerbait marshmellows....I would have never, ever tried that if I couldnt see them plain as day! Learning this whole thing over again....

krusty22.250
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Are there any playgrounds at the lake. It's been years since I've been there and I beleive there wasn't any. Is there a website for this lake?

thorne
05-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I dont remember seeing a playground, but it is a nice park. Look it up on the provincial web sight for carson pegasus..or maybe send a PM to Paul C he knows the area best....

Paul C
05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Play Ground is down on the lower loop camp site area on the west side of the lake. Camping there they have not opened up the main camp ground yet. The same location also is the swimming area as well. I was surprised to hear that there is no fire ban in the park according to whitecourt rcmp. However there is fire ban for whitecourt. I found the conditions very very dry for that time of year. Cheers and Happy Rainbow Hunting :D :wave:

Paul C
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Sorry to challenge you Bearbait, but Carson Lake is the old name for McLeod Lake. The smaller lake beside it is Little McLeod Lake, which used to be called Pegasus, and has Pike, Perch and Whites in it.
So...
Carson = McLeod
Pegasus = Little McLeod

The McLeod names are now how you will find them in the regs.
I thought the camp ground was called carson-pegasus. The main lake is Mcleod and the smaller lake with pike, white fish is called little mcleod. I know there is good size whites in little mcleod. Happy Mr. Rainbow spring hunting. :D

Paul C
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
:wave:I hear ya paul, but to be honest...thanks to the new HDS I found most of the 100 or so trout we caught on the bottom in 25-30 feet of water jigging with works and powerbait marshmellows....I would have never, ever tried that if I couldnt see them plain as day! Learning this whole thing over again....
Learning is fun catching those hungry fish while enjoying a cold brew.

bearbait
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
i found the same thorne...they were staging for the spawn in 23-27 feet of water....hit one hole that had fish stacked on the hummin bird side imageing like crazy....we caught alot out of that hole...only kept a couple for the smoker...mmmmmm smoked trout...

walleyeca
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Paul C you are a Trout god!!!!!!!!!! any tips on catching them for The Reel Doctor???? Please I am awesome at catching walleye but trout I kinda suck! LOL I wanna go to carson this weekend please a hint or? thanks

Here is tonites catch at laurel lake. Fun ultra-lite fishing :D
Picture by Mr. Axeman. Thx Dave :wave:

Paul C
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
i found the same thorne...they were staging for the spawn in 23-27 feet of water....hit one hole that had fish stacked on the hummin bird side imageing like crazy....we caught alot out of that hole...only kept a couple for the smoker...mmmmmm smoked trout... Staging for spawning, I have never heard of that term. :huh:The rainbows are moving into shallow water no more than fifty feet from the shore line. That is why I am not in a boat. The best fishing is from shore using "Hellsinky" method or ultra-lite fishing. In the early afternoon the fish had started to move back into the lake but at evening time they were back biting hard in shallow water.

Paul C
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I took this photo of the hungry critters trying to attack the boat. :D

thorne
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Well me and my buddies are working on a secret trout bait...tried it over the winter with good sucess, and the amazing day we had on Carson confirmed it...best thing is for the over 30 or so trout I caught, I unly used 3 peices of bait for the whole day, with regulation barbless hooks! This stuff is tuff, full of sent, and 100% natural. People have been using it for over 100 years back east, but not until now have I ever tried it in alberta, and it rocks! Better news, $5.00 will get you enough bait for months of trout fishing! Just want to try it on Walleye next....soon I will let everyone know what is gonna put the worm farms out of business! and no this is not a marketing gimmic...you can buy it almost anywhere...should kick ass with the burbs and prehaps sturgeon as well...

mooseknuckle
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
HAAAA Nice Zan!!! An di remenber exactly what you were using, thats wicked think I'll pick up some bait "X" :lol:

Paul C
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
These spring rainbows were very scrappy :fighting0074:to catch.

Paul C
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
This one was tough to photograph because it was trying to grab me.:scared0018:The kids at the lake caught this one on a white string hung down next to the board walk.

thorne
05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
trying to get back there weekend of the 15...hopefully ill see you guys again! I never got to eat any of the last batch, so I am looking forward to getting some eats this time out!

Paul C
05-08-2010, 08:01 PM
:happy0180:The fishing was really good around 5:00 a.m. It was very cold as well. Baileys helped me keep warm.
Fly fisherman did good as well.

Geezle
05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Woop woop! Can't wait to get out there with you next weekend Zan! :wave: :fishing:

thorne
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
YA should be a great weekend if the weather co-operates...can't wait to open up the boat!! 12kph here I come!! Hoping those holding areas I found last weekend are still producing, andI have no doubt they are. Hopefully a few other guys show up as well. Its a small lake, wont take much to fill up!

Paul C
05-11-2010, 07:30 PM
YA should be a great weekend if the weather co-operates...can't wait to open up the boat!! 12kph here I come!! Hoping those holding areas I found last weekend are still producing, andI have no doubt they are. Hopefully a few other guys show up as well. Its a small lake, wont take much to fill up!
Try not to fall asleep while cruising at 12 k.p.h.

noslack
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Can you guys shed some light on the color pattern of those bows.

I've never seen a bow or fish with it being half dark half light. Is it a "birthmark"??

Great Looking Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shark:

Paul C
05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
The main campground will open up on friday May 15, 2010.

Paul C
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
The fishing was slow in the morning in front of the boat launch due to high traffic. It took ten minutes for the trout to come back in and fishing then picked again. Beware that thefts in the main campground had been happening. Total loses of around 15,000 dollars.:(
56 Caught trouties.
Lost 23 trouties.
Only two fish of bigger size but not over three pounds.
Here is the photos. Happy Camping and Fishin.

06dvx
05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Can anyone tell me if this true or not: Carson (Trout lake) is electric motor only....Where exactly is Pegasus(Pike lake)? Is this lake open for gas motors? I want to take the wife and kids camping and we have a nice random camp spot about 15 mins from the trout lake. Should I bother with the 12 foot alum boat or just fish from the shore. I would rather try the pike lake tho!! I enjoy pike fishing more than trout.... Thanks in advance for all the info guys!!

Paul C
05-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Can anyone tell me if this true or not: Carson (Trout lake) is electric motor only....Where exactly is Pegasus(Pike lake)? Is this lake open for gas motors? I want to take the wife and kids camping and we have a nice random camp spot about 15 mins from the trout lake. Should I bother with the 12 foot alum boat or just fish from the shore. I would rather try the pike lake tho!! I enjoy pike fishing more than trout.... Thanks in advance for all the info guys!!
Go back to page one of this thread and the answer is there for you.
Cheers and Happy Fishing !

wgraves
05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know what the power sites are like at the Carson-Pegasus campground? Are they side-by-side or are they tree'd and separated from each other?

I'd like to go camping/fishing up there on the weekend, but don't want to be right next to my neighbor.

Thanks,

Wes

Paul C
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
If you are going call ahead to make sure you get the site you want.
If you google carson pegasus there is a map of the camp ground on line.
There is lots of eletric and non eletric sites. This campground has a very high bookings. The sooner you call the better the chances you have.
1-780-849-7100 or 1-780-778-2664. The fishing is still really good there but remember location is key to catch those bigger ones. There is a report of bear in the main campground. :scared0018:
Cheers

wgraves
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging for spawning, I have never heard of that term. :huh:The rainbows are moving into shallow water no more than fifty feet from the shore line. That is why I am not in a boat. The best fishing is from shore using "Hellsinky" method or ultra-lite fishing. In the early afternoon the fish had started to move back into the lake but at evening time they were back biting hard in shallow water.

So what is the "Hellsinky" method. I've never heard of that?

Wes

Paul C
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
So what is the "Hellsinky" method. I've never heard of that?

Wes I do not publish this method of fishing. Contact me directly for this prized information.
Cheers & Happy Fishin

AxeMan
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Lol. Paul, don't give away my secrets. Remember, I hold the patent on that method. :thinking-017:

Paul C
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Lol. Paul, don't give away my secrets. Remember, I hold the patent on that method. :thinking-017:
I know Axeman will not sell his patent. I tried to change his mind with a few cold brews :happy0180: but it did not work.

AxeMan
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I just have one thing to say about that, Paul. MORE BEER :tongue0017:

Paul C
05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
:burp:
That icon looks like Jody but it is missing foaming from the mouth.