PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Bummed Out: Might be looking for Fly Fishing Help

DarkAisling
04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
So, my toddler is throwing up . . . again. This means I'm going to be throwing up . . . again. I'm popping Gravol and praying that I can get through this quickly and painlessly. I hate daycare germs. :cry:

We (#1 son and I) have an all-day fly fishing clinic tomorrow, and I'm getting pretty upset as I'm becoming pretty convinced that I'll miss it, at the very least. #1 son is holding up well so far and is passing on the Gravol, so things are looking a little better for him. I'm not sure if they'll allow us to reschedule if we miss it because we're sick. We've already rescheduled once due to #1 son's work schedule.

Is there someone on the forum who is willing to spend a day with us out on the Bow (or a stocked lake) and show us the ropes if we miss the clinic? I hate to ask. I much prefer to offer assistance with things. I took a casting class back in the fall, and #1 son and I both attended a spey clinic last weekend. We have plenty of gear . . . but quite a bit of knowledge is lacking.

I'm gonna go sit on the couch with my pukey toddler and pout now.

superspud
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
i would love to help ya!
i will be done exams on wed and back in calgary next weekend, so some time after next weekend would be good. just pm me

fishstix
04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Hi D.A
If you cant reschedule i would be able to give you a few pointers. Ive been flyfishing for about 20 years now, so i think i am qualified.
A good place to learn is anywhere you have room behind you for the back cast. The crossfield pond is ok, and there should be a few fish left, but the sarcee pond is right there aswell.
Let me know!!

Fishstix!!(Ryan)

DarkAisling
04-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks, guys :)

Still popping the Gravol, and haven't woofed my cookies yet. I'm hoping this will hold off until Monday. I'd rather miss work than fishing :D

slingshotz
04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
What type of fly clinic are you taking, beginner, intermediate or advanced? If you miss it and can't take it again from them, I'd highly suggest a lesson from either of the McLennan's. My wife found Lynda very good for starting out and she has a different style of teaching as she's female. I took an advanced lesson from Jim and it was awesome.

I'm going to start heading out on the Bow after work at least once or twice a week now so you're both more than welcome to come and I can help you out with things. Just keep in mind I'm not an expert by any means.

DarkAisling
04-18-2010, 06:07 AM
It is a beginner clinic . . . and it looks like we'll make it :) Still popping Gravol, and an Imodium for good measure.

I'll do some stuff through Lynda, I'm sure. I was going to do everything through Anita Wolf, but Anita quit teaching and guiding, and killed the Reel Hookers club very suddenly just over a month ago. I'm not happy about that one.

Will keep you posted.

WayneChristie
04-18-2010, 07:34 AM
well any time you feel bad about your fly casting skills come fishing with me, I promise to make you look like a pro compared to my flyfishing skills :D
and next time the kidlet blows chunks, just think of a nice big bucket of fat juicy worms, that should help settle your stomach. :evilgrin:

Doc
04-18-2010, 08:20 AM
The fat juicy worms are a good visual but a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray always makes me feel better :sick:

Hope you made it out to your beginner clinic DarkAisling.

Cheers,
Doc

DarkAisling
04-18-2010, 06:22 PM
We made it, and we had a great time. I'm feeling a lot more confident now :) The wind sucked, but at least I won't be too worried about it in the future.

Had one bite in the two hours I was in the water (the rest of the clinic was on shore). The fishie took a black tungsten bead head micro leach. I had no idea how to land the thing though, and I lost it :lol: I find it funny that it didn't bother me to not land it . . . I was so focussed on the act of fishing correctly, in the correct place, that simply finding a taker was reward enough.

I also learned how to cast left handed. My left had cast is crummy, but I'll be doing a lot of practicing. My right arm is bugging me a bit.

The little one is still throwing up. This doesn't bode well for my week, but at least my weekend ended on a positive note (I'm ignoring the three sealed garbage bags, filled with pukey laundry, in front of the washing machine) :D

WayneChristie
04-18-2010, 06:39 PM
gotta teach the old man how to run that washing machine :D Hey even I managed to catch one or two fish on the flyrod. and probably another 198 on different gear :lol:
It was awesome sitting in the hot sun in the canoe with no wind for 2 days.