PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff pond...questions

captain_k
04-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm itching to get out fishing again this year...

anyone been out to Cardiff yet recently?
How were the fish?
Has it been stocked for 2010 yet?

thanks

island ranger
04-20-2010, 12:55 AM
was out Sunday, Aside from being a complete slough, water is down bout 5 feet. nnothing was biting. Didnt even see a single fish. Sorry

Vega21
04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
was out Sunday, Aside from being a complete slough, water is down bout 5 feet. nnothing was biting. Didnt even see a single fish. Sorry

So no more ice?

captain_k
04-22-2010, 03:00 AM
nope no ice
i just wish i knew when it was going to be stocked again nothing was jumping

Morph1
04-22-2010, 07:32 AM
should be stocked in mid may as every year ....
I can't even imagine the water levels there considering bigger lakes are way down...
Lets pray for some heavy rain !!!

Vega21
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
nope no ice
i just wish i knew when it was going to be stocked again nothing was jumping

Was out there last night from 5:30 till about 10 and caught 2 fish One Perch and One trout on the final cast of the day. No bites until about 8 and they were few and far between. Hope this isnt a sign of things to come :(

captain_k
04-24-2010, 02:36 AM
where abouts were you to snag a perch? I've only ever caught one perch in there and it was on the far southeast corner of the pond close to where we used to be able to drive in

trooper
04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
I haven't fished Cardiff in years and then it was dismal. My advise is to head north to the Morinville reservoir. I caught a 17" rainbow on a dry fly a few years ago from the north side of the lake off the point.

captain_k
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
i have tried the morinville res a few times and ive never even gotten a bite, last summer i tried it 4 or 5 times and never got anything, if i went to cardiff, i was pulling in almost 4-5 in an hour so i stopped going to morinville

HunterDave
04-25-2010, 01:36 AM
I live in Morinville and fished there this winter for the first time in about five years. It used to be great trout fishing there but this winter all I caught were 3" perch. Some rocket scientist introduced them to the lake. There were trout taken out of there this winter but you had to put up with those darned perch pecking at your bait all the time. Now why would someone do something like that?:mad2:

captain_k
04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
tried cardiff again yesterday no luck ...few others had no luck
and some old guy fly fishing snagged one in less than 5 min of moving spots...i was across from him for half an hour
i'll give morinville a try today

captain_k
04-26-2010, 12:06 AM
tried cardiff again today, 4 different spots in 2 hours...no luck anywhere
one other group snagged one bow thats it
morinville same luck :(
this is getting depressing

Vega21
04-26-2010, 08:36 AM
tried cardiff again today, 4 different spots in 2 hours...no luck anywhere
one other group snagged one bow thats it
morinville same luck :(
this is getting depressing

Its ben pretty cold and windy of late...having said that my friend pulled out two bows on saturday at morinville within 20 minutes of being there. I only caught a perch. The 2 trouts were very very close to shore like 10 feet away he didnt even need to real her in thats how close they were.

Paul C
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I live in Morinville and fished there this winter for the first time in about five years. It used to be great trout fishing there but this winter all I caught were 3" perch. Some rocket scientist introduced them to the lake. There were trout taken out of there this winter but you had to put up with those darned perch pecking at your bait all the time. Now why would someone do something like that?:mad2:
The perch have been in the lake and the trout pond for a very long time. I was fishing for bigger ones back in the early 90,s. Those trout are eating large cray fish. I suggest you try to bait run off the bottom. Check out the sturgeon tactics thread and look at the drawing of set up.
Happy Wishin ( fishin ) :D:wave:

fishmania
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Spent 4 hours today between Cardiff first then Morinville
No luck at all at Cardiff and a couple bites at Morinville
:tongue2:

Vega21
04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Spent 4 hours today between Cardiff first then Morinville
No luck at all at Cardiff and a couple bites at Morinville
:tongue2:

Good on you buddy. It was freezing out there on saturday. Felt like Fall fishing instead of Spring fishing.

fishmania
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Good on you buddy. It was freezing out there on saturday. Felt like Fall fishing instead of Spring fishing.

I was freezin my butt off at Morinville early this afternoon no protection from the wind at all

moonyrat
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
so can you fish from the shore? or have to step into the mud...

captain_k
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
you can fish from the shore at morinville and cardiff